How to reset ECU?
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to reset ECU?

crv|oc Rank: Member

Thumbs down How to reset ECU?

I wish to clear the ECU error log (I'm trying to trace an ABS sensor fault) - everything I've read says to pull a fuse or disconnect the battery. I've disconnected the battery overnight(!) but it still remembers the faults. If I can't clear the fault history, I can't see what any new faults are as I do things with the sensors. It's a Honda CR-V 1999 model in the UK, with a 2 pin ECU connector, ie pre-OBDII. I have an appropriate reading tool, which gives me the various error codes on the ABS light.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Sophomore
    Actually there is trouble code reader for engine and ABS are different - still disconnecting battery overnight should to the trick unless new trouble code reappears during testing of the system when you turn ignition on (actually everybody can see ABS light to come up for couple of second during initial testing and then going away). In short there is pretty good chance that during initial self test ECU finds there is something wrong with the system and puts a light on and stores trouble code.
    Good luck

crv|oc Rank: Senior
    My 1998 Honda CR-V is a US version and for that version you are npot supposed to disconect the battery but unplug one of the fuses in the battery compartment. I cant remember which one but it was on the left side and it was a big square fuse. I am not sure if this is the same in the UK version.
    Nothing is as cool as rollin' thru da hood with 122 cubic inches

Exclamation

I think on this model, all the trouble code reader does is short the two pins of the connector. Another code reader which I have not tried (I bought three different ones on Ebay as they were very cheap) just has a piece of wire! (Their reader thingy is only for other models).

When I use the "reader" (it's not really a reader - the results are displayed on the dash lights), the engine management light comes on continuously, as does the airbag light (this means there are no faults here), but the ABS light was off, then flashed the following: 1 long, 1 short, pause, 1 long, 5 short, pause, 1 long 7 short, pause, repeat. This means codes 11, 15, 17 = open circuit in ABS sensors frontright, backright, backleft. This was fine as I had actually removed these to test them with an oscilloscope. The frontleft sensor has always been connected and is not faulty. So I used this as a test to check I was reading things right - I removed it, and ran the diagnostics again. I got codes 11, **13**, 15, 17. Indicating the frontleft sensor was now open circuit. Annoyingly, I replaced the frontleft snesor and still got 11, 13, 15, 17 - the 13 was still there. I need one to be ok so I can plug sensors into it in turn to check them all.

I reconnected the frontleft known good sensor, and left the battery disconnected overnight. I then ran the diagnostics again, and STILL got 11, 13, 15, 17. Help!!!!

P.S. removing the battery is surely the same (and more) than removing a fuse. It is in effect removing all the fuses. I had also tried removing (for 20 seconds each, seperately) the backup and hazard fuses. I have also read that the alternator fuse could be it. But I don't have one that I can see. I've even tried weird methods with turning the steering wheel 45 degrees to the right etc.....

Try going to Autozone and asked to read trouble code for you - then they can try to reset it with diagnostic tool. There is actually quite a few knowledgeable folks working in there and they might be able to help you a bit.

Everything in Moderation Carbuff2's Avatar
    I agree that the ABS codes may be stored in a different piece of "memory" than engine codes.

Our '90 Accord (OBDI) and '99 Acura (OBDII) both reset the PCM (engine) codes when the clock fuse was unplugged for a few minutes. But disconnecting the battery should do the same thing.
    Atwell "Buff" Haines
    '06 AWD CR-V, 5 speed MT!
    '07 Fit Sport, 5 speed MT!
    NJ

In theory, there is no difference between Theory and Practice. In practice, there is. - Yogi Berra

Quote Originally Posted by davos View Post
    Try going to Autozone and asked to read trouble code for you - then they can try to reset it with diagnostic tool. There is actually quite a few knowledgeable folks working in there and they might be able to help you a bit.
    Not so sure they have AutoZone in the UK...
    2008 Taffta White 4WD CRV EX-L w/Navi
    2007 Taffta White Fit Sport

Exclamation

The only Autozone I can see in the UK is in Northern Ireland. I live in Scotland.

There is a Phoenix Honda dealer on my way to work who can probably do the same thing, although I think they want me to book it in?!?

The trouble is, I may need to reset it 3 or 4 times while testing everything.

ups - I have not noticed your location - but they probably are some auto parts chains stores which offer similar customer "perks" we are seeing around here.
    Last edited by davos; 09-24-2008 at 07:26 PM.

Everything in Moderation Carbuff2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by davos View Post
    usp - I have not noticed your location - but they probably are some auto parts chains stores which offer similar customer "perks" we are seeing around here.
    Like Halfords? (just guessing)
    http://www.hoovers.com/halfords/--ID...-profile.xhtml

If you expect to reset the light 3 or 4 times you may want to invest in a scan tool that reads codes (available at auto parts stores for around $40 here) or even buy a Scanguage---a reader that allows you to monition several parameters at a time as well as reset the codes

http://www.scangauge.com/

(There are other brands as well)
    Atwell "Buff" Haines
    '06 AWD CR-V, 5 speed MT!
    '07 Fit Sport, 5 speed MT!
    NJ

In theory, there is no difference between Theory and Practice. In practice, there is. - Yogi Berra

12. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements