2002 CR-V Starter Noise when cold
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2002 CR-V Starter Noise when cold

crv|oc Rank: Member

2002 CR-V Starter Noise when cold

My 2002 CR-V has recently started having a strange noise at startup - typically when it is cold. I engage the starter and you will hear a "grind-type" of noise almost like it isn't meshing with the flex plate very well. I'm worried about damaging the plate and teeth any more and wondering if anyone else has heard of this problem? It always starts up just fine and I can't remember ever hearing this when it's warm. Oh, it does have 125k on it and runs great despite this minor issue. Any advice is greatly appreciated!
    -Marcb
    2011 CR-V EX 4WD Taffeta White

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Sophomore
    Could it be motor (or even starter relay/solenoid)?
    If you would have problem with gearing I would imagine that it would be independent from temperature, while draw o power when cold is increased and winding in starter motor (or just motor brushes - not sure how its made) just don't like it anymore.

Thanks for the input and I've taken your advice and purchased a low-mileage starter from an '05 V. I couldn't believe what Honda wanted for a new one... nearly $800!!! Wow! I promise to post back with my results as soon as it arrives and I install it. Speaking of installation, any tips, tricks or suggestions about removal and replacement? I see another thread but thought I'd ask anyway.

Thanks!
    -Marcb

Starter Noise

I have the same problem with my 97. When it's cold, the starter pinion gear is slow to disengage after the engine has started causing an awful grinding sound. A temporary solution until I can order a new/rebuilt starter is I blip the starter once or twice, too short a burst to start the engine, but long enough to get the pinion gear to engage/disengage. The third attempt is a real start and the gear usually disengages as it should without the grinding. My car has 113K. Like you, I am also concerned that it could break the teeth on the flywheel if nothing is done. The starter is an easy fix. Replacing the flywheel is a major job.

A new starter from Majestic Honda is $218 (retail is $311).

As a follow-up, I pulled the starter and replaced it with a low-mileage Honda unit off of Ebay. The original starter showed damaged on the teeth and I was luck I caught it in time. Swapped out the starters and all is well now. Wow, what a job to get at in the 02+ K series...
    -Marcb

When you changed the starter, did you remove the intake manifold and remove the starter from the top? A while back someone posted the procedure for doing it that way - he claimed it was much easier and gave good access to the starter. Its more important to fix a starter condition quickly on a 4 cyl engine. I have seen ring gears from 4 , 6 and 8 cyl engines. On the 4 cyl engine, it generally engages in the same 2 locations 180 degs apart. On the 6 cyl, it goes in either on 3 locations 120degs apart. On a 8cyl, it goes in either of 4 locations 90 degs apart. The 8 gets spreads the wear on the ring gear to 4 places and instead of 2 for the 4cyl.

Yes, I had to remove the throttle body and the intake manifold as the only way to gain access to the starter was from the top. Quite a fun job but shouldn't be too bad if I ever have to do it again!
    -Marcb

Marcb - Did you reuse the rubber gaskets like the other fellow did in his starter replacement procedure?

10. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements