Dash light out - 2000 CR-V
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dash light out - 2000 CR-V

crv|oc Rank: Member

Dash light out - 2000 CR-V

Stereo replacement started the issue and a fuse was blown when it was hooked up incorrectly. The incorrect hookup was that the dash line was connected with the switched 12v line into stereo. At that time not only did the interior fuse blow for the dash but also the fuse in the engine compartment blew for the radio.

Now everything is hooked up the way it should be (with a harness), speaker wires, switched 12v line, battery 12v line and ground. The only problem is that the dash light that turns on with the headlight doesn't come on. The clock is lit and dims properly when the headlights switch on. All other dash lights (engine, high beam, etc.) work fine.

The other interesting thing to me is that when the headlight is turned on the the shift position indicator light also turns off (this is an automatic.) This lead me to believe that perhaps the dimmer switch got fried when the stereo was hooked up wrong so I pulled it out and connected the ground line through directly with a wire. With this the shift position light stays on when the headlights are turned on but I still don't have the main dash light.

Any ideas on what else I should check? I triple checked every fuse in both fuse boxes.

It would be really nice to see how fast I'm going at night again.

Please help before I get a speeding ticket

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

I have the same problem. Please help. Thanks

Everything in Moderation Carbuff2's Avatar
    Sounds to me as if a diode in the circuit got fried. Can't help you with location though (the gauge clusters are presented as "black boxes" in the service manuals)
    Atwell "Buff" Haines
    '06 AWD CR-V, 5 speed MT!
    '07 Fit Sport, 5 speed MT!
    NJ

In theory, there is no difference between Theory and Practice. In practice, there is. - Yogi Berra

Element owner trying to help. You need to fill in your profile. I can't help you if I don't know your model and year. I'll try. Is this your instrument cluster?

Looks like a total of 10 bulbs. Probably #2721.

Is this you instrument cluster?

Forget it you don't want MY help.

Thank you for the reply. It's a CRV 99 Automatic. Could it be the dimmer switch?

Quote Originally Posted by colosseo View Post
    Thank you for the reply. It's a CRV 99 Automatic. Could it be the dimmer switch?
    I know it's a CR-V, LX;EX 2WD:4WD, never mind. This one then:

Wow, I counted 37 bulbs in your dash. I think that's a mistake.

When you say "same problem", you mean your dash lights are out, correct. You don't also suffer the same fate as emaildanwilson do you? At any rate, both of you have bad bulbs. I posted this reply to a tread in the Element Owners Forum. I wish you don't mind I re-post it here.

The incandescent lamps in the E are very fragile. All Hondas for that matter; don't know why. If any part of the dash is disturbed, the tiny filaments in the tiny bulbs break. That's why the tapping trick works for many of us. I know because this happened to me. Every time I sneezed, another dark bulb.
    All of the plugs and receptacles are locked together. There is no chance that a connector could vibrate apart, except if it was never locked in the first place. The pins and sockets themselves are double locked in the plugs and receptacles. I'm fairly certain that the pins and sockets won't mate until the plug is locked to the receptacle. That being the case, there would be many more intermittent or dead circuits, if a connector were "loose".

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cooldw57 View Post
    I've had this problem a long time ago where lights on instrument cluster, climate control and shift indicators were all out. However it only happened once in a while

I believe that you just need working (new) bulbs.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by 04element04 View Post
    I am having the same problem with the climate control lights after I installed an Eclipse DVD NAV system. I have to tap the lights to get them to go on but this doesn't always work.

See what I mean.

Quote:
    the bulbs are probably loose.

Not a chance. Can't happen.

Quote:
    I think something got loose

I think the filaments in your bulbs are loose.

Sorry about all of that, I'm trying to illustrate my point.

The Element dash is fairly easy to disassemble. I can't imagine the CR-V would be any different. I just don't have any experience with the CR-V. I would love to crack one open, anyone in SoCal?

Quote Originally Posted by Carbuff2 View Post
    Sounds to me as if a diode in the circuit got fried. Can't help you with location though (the gauge clusters are presented as "black boxes" in the service manuals)
    Carbuff2,

I don't mean to step on your toes, but manufacturers want to keep you in the dark, pardon the pun, with respect to servicing you own vehicle. Element owners are regularly charged hundreds of dollars to change instrument clusters and HVAC controllers for burnt bulbs. I pasted the illustrated parts drawing to show you that the bulbs are available. That means they can be accessed and changed.
    I have the service manual for the Element. It doesn't show all of the bulbs either.

Everything in Moderation Carbuff2's Avatar
    You never "step on my toes" when you post a cheap solution to an expensive problem cheaply, Thanks!
    Atwell "Buff" Haines
    '06 AWD CR-V, 5 speed MT!
    '07 Fit Sport, 5 speed MT!
    NJ

In theory, there is no difference between Theory and Practice. In practice, there is. - Yogi Berra

It's a 2WD lx Automatic. The climate control lights are out as well, if I do not turn the lights on, the gear lights indicator (N,D) etc. light up, but when I turn the lights on they do not.
    The clock light works as well as the stereo lights.

Thank you for the help.

MECP Audio Expert
    in my experience with honda's, especially the gen 1 crv and other older honda's, (2000 and older) it's a fuse, bulb, or dimmer switch problem...thats it.

12. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements