Check engine light in 2000 Honda CR-V
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Check engine light in 2000 Honda CR-V

crv|oc Rank: Member

Check engine light in 2000 Honda CR-V

In September, 2008, we had the Check Engine light flash for the first time in 8 years and at 110,000 miles. We took it to a repair shop, and the mechanic checked it out, told us he had 'fixed' the problem, performed an engine tune up, and also replaced the timing belt. Cost us $800 to do this. All was well until yesterday when the light came back on again.

Please help. What could possibly be going on with this, our ONLY car?

Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

MECP Audio Expert
    you need to find out what the old code was for, and now what the new code is for, and I would also find out exactly what he replaced, and with what, as far as brand of plugs as an example. Also you prob need a valve adjustment.

Find out what "tune up" means. What is the service history. Have you done a tranny, oil, rear diff, and radiator fluid change? Fuel filter, plugs, wires, cap and rotor?

Hi,

I don't know what the old code was, but the new code indicates that Cyclinders 1, 2 and 4 are misfiring.

I looked at my bill from the engine tune-up in September and they replaced the spark plugs, distribution cap, fuel & air filter, "wires" and rotor. etc as part of the 100,000 miles engine tune-up. In addition, we had the timing belt replaced. We have done a 100,000 miles transmission fluid change and do regular oil changes. I am not 100% sure but we usually do everything our local Jiffy Lube recommends once every 3000 miles, so we must have checked rear differential. Radiator fluid has been changed, as well.

As mentioned in my OP, barely two months after the 100,000 miles tune-up, at less than 200 miles on, the engine light came back on. A friend with a code reader told us that we were having multiple cylinder misfires. A local mechanic found that the spark plugs had moved out of position. He said he couldn't find them where they were supposed to be. It took him a while to find them and push them back in place. Is this serious? Did the mechanic who replaced the spark plugs screw up?

He cleared the codes after pushing back the spark plugs in place and asked me to drive the car and see if the light came back on. It ran OK for two days and the light came back yesterday.

Thanks for mentioning the valves. They have never been adjusted in this car. After browsing these forums, I realize that this could be the problem. I called our local dealer and the service rep told me that it might be something as "minor" as valve adjustment or something as "major" as replacing the cylinder head. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ that we DO NOT HAVE!!!

!'m FREAKED OUT. My husband and I are completely clueless when it comes to automobiles and need some objective feedback. Are we looking at thousands of dollars' worth issues?

Please, please, please help. Has this happened to anyone else but had a happy ending?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Worried; 12-06-2008 at 02:39 PM.

crv|oc Rank: Freshman
    Worried,

It is important that the valves are checked and adjusted. The engine used in your generation CR-V needs the valves adjusted so that you don't end up with a burnt valve. The exhaust valves over time get "pulled into the seat", this causes the valve lash to be lost and hence the burnt valve. If this just started happening and you don't have any significant engine running issues then you will have caught it in time. Figure on the adjustment costing in the $150-$200 range, but that will be much better than the alternative, burnt valves, head replacement, lots of money. Lots of luck, Russ.
    98 V 200K miles

Quote Originally Posted by rberman999 View Post
    Worried,

It is important that the valves are checked and adjusted. The engine used in your generation CR-V needs the valves adjusted so that you don't end up with a burnt valve. The exhaust valves over time get "pulled into the seat", this causes the valve lash to be lost and hence the burnt valve. If this just started happening and you don't have any significant engine running issues then you will have caught it in time. Figure on the adjustment costing in the $150-$200 range, but that will be much better than the alternative, burnt valves, head replacement, lots of money. Lots of luck, Russ.
    Russ,

We just took it over to the local dealer. He charged us $250.00 for the valve adjustment but told us that from my description that it didn't sound like a "valve issue". He is charging me another $130 to diagnose the "problem'. I have a BAD feeling with this.

Worried,

You said you just took the car to a dealer, was it a Honda Dealership? You should have gotten a report of what was found from the valve check / adjustment, if so what did they find? If not ask for what they found when they did the valve check / adjustment. If you went to an independent mechanic then you need to make sure they know how to adjust valves, sounds simple but today's engines often don't require valve adjustment or it is not as critical as for the engine in your CR-V. If tight exhaust valves were in fact found, then you problems should be solved. Several years back, I had the misfire codes, checked the valve adjustment and found 3 of 4 cylinders with zero valve lash on the exhaust side, I adjusted all valves to the loose side of the spec. and have not had the problem since. I check and adjust the valves about every 2 years (myself), have not had the problem since. Is the check engine light still on, after the valve adjustment? What was your description of the problem? Do you have / did you have any drive-ability issues with your CR-V? Get the answers to the questions and post them and I'm sure people will try to help you. Russ
    98 V 200K miles

Worried,

You said you just took the car to a dealer, was it a Honda Dealership? You should have gotten a report of what was found from the valve check / adjustment, if so what did they find? If not ask for what they found when they did the valve check / adjustment. If you went to an independent mechanic then you need to make sure they know how to adjust valves, sounds simple but today's engines often don't require valve adjustment or it is not as critical as for the engine in your CR-V. If tight exhaust valves were in fact found, then you problems should be solved. Several years back, I had the misfire codes, checked the valve adjustment and found 3 of 4 cylinders with zero valve lash on the exhaust side, I adjusted all valves to the loose side of the spec. and have not had the problem since. I check and adjust the valves about every 2 years (myself), have not had the problem since. Is the check engine light still on, after the valve adjustment? What was your description of the problem? Do you have / did you have any drive-ability issues with your CR-V? Get the answers to the questions and post them
    and I'm sure people will try to help you. Russ
    Hi Russ,

Yes, it was a Honda dealership.

I will only receive a report on the diagnostic findings and valve adjustment findings on Monday.

The service 'advisor' initially told me that the dealership will return the car on Saturday itself, after adjusting the valves, but once we actually got there (of course!) told us upon INITIAL CURSORY inspection (not even very detailed and it annoys me) that it wasn't the 'valve' and he would bet a $1000 it was something else. I told him that he needed to fax his findings on the diagnostics to us rather than report it orally over the phone. I also told him to do a compression test after adjusting the valves and he said he wouldn't!!!! Am I getting scammed?

Since the valve adjustment will only be done on Monday, I will only know if the check engine light has gone off at that time.

If / when something else does come up during the 'diagnostics' (and I am sure it will!), should I simply walk away with the car and have it re-examined by a local mechanic? I have already paid for the valve adjustment ($250.00) and diagnostics ($130). So I don't have to agree to repairs at all.

Regarding any other drivability issues: During the 25 mile drive to the dealership, I noticed that the car 'shook' when I tried to drive at greater than 55 miles an hour. At less than 55 mph, it seems OK. When we got to the dealership, we noticed that the car's left rear tire was flat!!! So, I'm wondering if the shaking was because of the flat tire?

What do you think? Do you have any advice?

Thanks.
    Last edited by Worried; 12-07-2008 at 04:04 PM.

Worried,

Sorry, but you have me confused. First question, how long have you owned this vehicle (bought it new, 1 year, two, etc...)? To the best of your knowledge, have the valves ever been adjusted? If so at what mileage / how long ago? Have the valves been physically inspected by this dealership and adjusted as of yet? I can not tell you if your dealership is being honest with you or not, but perhaps someone else on this forum can. As far as the valves go, if they have never been adjusted then you should get that done and get a full report from the dealership as to what they found, cylinder by cylinder, valve be valve. You should be interested in particular to the exhaust valves. Sorry I can't be of more help, Russ.
    98 V 200K miles

Worried,

Sorry, but you have me confused. First question, how long have you owned this vehicle (bought it new, 1 year, two, etc...)? To the best of your knowledge, have the valves ever been adjusted? If so at what mileage / how long ago? Have the valves been physically inspected by this dealership and adjusted as of yet? I can not tell you if your dealership is being honest with you or not, but perhaps someone else on this forum can. As far as the valves go, if they have never been adjusted then you should get that done and get a full report from the dealership as to what they found, cylinder by cylinder, valve be valve. You should be interested in particular to the exhaust valves. Sorry I can't be of more help, Russ.
    1. We bought the vehicle new in February of 2000.

2. No, the valves have never been adjusted.

3. Yes, they will be adjusted on Monday at the total cost of $250.00

4. Now, I am confused. Are there different types of valves? If yes, when we say "valve adjustment", what type of valves are we referring to? The exhaust valves or something else?

Worried,

Your engine has 4 cylinders, each cylinder has intake valves and exhaust valves. There are 4 valves per cylinder, two intake and two exhaust valves. All 16 valves will be checked and adjusted, BUT it is the exhaust valves that typically cause the problems with the engine in your V. Request the tech who works on the engine to report the found clearances of each valve (prior to adjustment), not hard to do and for the $250 you are being charged I feel is a reasonable request (do not pay extra for this, if they start telling you it will cost extra, see if they will report "tight" valve findings, then). If the valves have never been adjusted then one of two situations likely exists. First, you could be very lucky and have caught things in time or you will have burnt valves which is costly. There could be other things that cause the CEL to light up, but if there has been no valve adjustment for 8 years and 110K miles then you surely are in need of adjustment. I wish I could provide more detail or better news, sorry I can't. Either way let us know how you make out. lots of luck, Russ.
    98 V 200K miles

12. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements