2008 CR-V EX windshield wipers freezing up
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2008 CR-V EX windshield wipers freezing up

crv|oc Rank: Member

Question 2008 CR-V EX windshield wipers freezing up

Very happy with our 2008 EX AWD so far, EXCEPT for the windshield wipers! Just had our first snow storm with 1 foot plus and temps around 10 degrees F. The windshield wipers kept freezing up with ice build-up, and were ineffective in keeping the windshield clean. Had to pull over twice to clean off the blades. This is definitely a safety issue, and I'm disappointed that this is happening even with the heat defroster on high. Is there a TSB or recall on these wiper blades? Winter will be here for another 3 months and I do not want to go thru this annoying problem again! Has anyone had to replace with winter snow blades? If so, what kind? and did it solve this problem? Any suggestions?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Silver

Wiper blade ice build up

X 2 here.
    With snow falling about 2" per hour, they froze up almost right after cleaning. My first time out and except for that, EXCELLENT!

The driver's side was OK. It was the Passenger's side right tip of the blade that froze up badly. I'm talking about a 2" build up. The tip actually lifted up away from the glass 2 inches at one point!

-RG

Carry a Crescent Wrench

Here in Alaska, my wipers are a constant problem. Melt away will collect below the wind sheild and freeze the nut caps that hold on the wiper arms.

I just break away the ice. Then I use a crescent wrench and tighten up the bolt. It's pretty easy, but I have to always carry the wrench because it's a problem that is dangerous when not cared for.

You can do the following ... (1) when parking the car for the evening, pull the wiper blades/arms away from the windshield and place something (even cardboard) over the entire windshield so you start the day with a clear windshield; or, (2) some people have good luck spraying the windshield BEFORE it snows ... so spray it when you park for the night; or (3) buy "winter blades" for the winter. The hinges are covered with a rubber "boot" that flexes and HELPS the situation. The Latitude blades I recently installed on our CR-V and motorhome qualify as winter blades but I'll hopefully never know 'cause we depart New Jersey for the winter, preferring to spend it in a campground in sunny Florida.
    '08 CR-V EX AWD, towed by '06 Itasca Cambria 26A Type C motorhome

Quote Originally Posted by Mach1 View Post
    Very happy with our 2008 EX AWD so far, EXCEPT for the windshield wipers! Just had our first snow storm with 1 foot plus and temps around 10 degrees F. The windshield wipers kept freezing up with ice build-up, and were ineffective in keeping the windshield clean. Had to pull over twice to clean off the blades. This is definitely a safety issue, and I'm disappointed that this is happening even with the heat defroster on high. Is there a TSB or recall on these wiper blades? Winter will be here for another 3 months and I do not want to go thru this annoying problem again! Has anyone had to replace with winter snow blades? If so, what kind? and did it solve this problem? Any suggestions?
    I 'm having the same problem with my 2010 CR-V EX-L. While trying to get to work two days ago in a snowstorm, the passenger side wiper froze up so badly that I think the wiper linkage is bent or broken. It was 10 degrees out and I had the defrosters on full at 85 degrees. It got so hot in the car that I had to drive with a window open. Also, ice collects along the "channels" on either side of the windshield and under the hood overhang at the base of the windshield. This is a serious design error by Honda in my opinion. The defroster vent needs to be much bigger (or use multiple vents). The winsheild should fit flush with the body, with nothing to catch snow and ice. I've had many Accords and have never had a problem with icing. Going to my dealer this week and I expect any repairs should be covererd under warranty.

crv|oc Rank: Senior
    Quote Originally Posted by Mach1 View Post
    Buying a good winter blade can help because the rubber boot flexes more. Even those can freeze up,but IMO, they work a lot better.
    Also try using your washers (strong winter formula) more as they can help melt the buildup before it gets too big.
    Buffalo4
    PS: Do a Google search for winter blades.
    Amazon sells many different brands and has customer reviews of its products.
    http://www.amazon.com/Anco-30-18-Pre...ar=1&carId=001
    PPS: Remove them after winter and store in a cool place and use the stock ones for the summer.
    Last edited by Buffalo4; 02-03-2011 at 12:49 PM.

I just installed the flex type armorall blades, but still had a problem with the passenger side. The problem is where it parks when not on. There is no heat at all down that low on the glass, so all the melting water freezes when it gets to the bottom.

A few more dollars would have allowed them to install those defrost strips to prevent this.

crv|oc Rank: Sophomore
    Just to add my $.02:

Freezing rain hit San Antonio last night. Major highways & overpasses closed by 10 PM. On way home between 9:30 & 10:00, experienced same problems with ice forming on outer edge of passenger side wiper blade. Even had ice forming on lower portion of driver side blade. Tried lowering sun visors to full down in attempt to keep heat closer to windshield. Didn't work as I thought it would. After 20 minutes of highway driving, stopped for fuel & to break off ice accumulation on wipers.

Noticed same problem with Mopar mini-van windshield [too much windshield, not enough heater vents]. One of few things Mopar got right was adding heating strip along bottom edge of windshield, much like strips on rear window.

Does anyone know of an after-market heating strip that can be applied to the lower edge of the "V's" windshield?

Everything in Moderation Carbuff2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazoo2U View Post

Noticed same problem with Mopar mini-van windshield [too much windshield, not enough heater vents]. One of few things Mopar got right was adding heating strip along bottom edge of windshield, much like strips on rear window.

Does anyone know of an after-market heating strip that can be applied to the lower edge of the "V's" windshield?
    How are defroster strips in the glass going to keep the blade assembly joints (which are in the open air) from freezing, as you drive?

Best solution is to buy a fully encased wiper blade assembly (as Buffalo mentioned). The rubber prevents ice from forming inside the arm and reducing flexibility.

Atwell "Buff" Haines
    '06 AWD CR-V, 5 speed MT!
    '07 Fit Sport, 5 speed MT!
    NJ

In theory, there is no difference between Theory and Practice. In practice, there is. - Yogi Berra

The flex style don't have any joints period, but the ice builds up on the glass and the rubber blade. The heat strip prevents this from happening.

Subaru and Mistubishi both have them on their windshields. So we know that the Japanese have the ability, just not the will.

12. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements