99 Crv overheating when idle - Page 2
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!
Thanks Thanks: 0
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 99 Crv overheating when idle

crv|oc Rank: Member
    Thanks (Received)
    Most hondas (well based on my experience with olderish ones) have two coolant sensors. Iirc one runs the gauge, while the other feeds to the ECU and controls the radiator fan.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using AutoGuide App

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

Premium Member
    Thanks (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by rjr162 View Post
    Most hondas (well based on my experience with olderish ones) have two coolant sensors. Iirc one runs the gauge, while the other feeds to the ECU and controls the radiator fan.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using AutoGuide App
    The 1997-2001 has three sensors.

Two on the head.

One for the ECU and one for the guage. The third one is for the rad fan and is located on the thermostat housing.

Thanks (Received)
    Thanks Lizzurd for the above posting. We missed a few things in the thread so far (or I did reading it through):

How many miles are on the car?

When have you had the cooling system serviced?

What has been done on the car in the past?

Does the car sit there and overheat without the fan coming on at all?

I'd suggest you have someone run the codes on the car, and see if anything shows. The dealer could probably see which temperature sensor is out of whack, but they are cheap and you can take a guess at it.

Things you can do as preventative maintenance:

Rinse the radiator with a garden hose (DO NOT USE HIGH PRESSURE) at least once a year to get the grime and bugs out of the fins. A friend did this himself at a car wash one time and flattened all the radiator fins - it took us 2 screwdrivers and a 12 pack of beer to fix it up again. A garden hose will take care of it without causing damage, takes about 30 minutes, and it's really simple, spray water into the grill (it's a good idea to do it when the engine's cold) and make sure it comes out clean.

Make sure you have the coolant changed at or before 100k miles. If your coolant is looking murky in the reservoir, it probably needs to be changed.

5. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

Premium Member
    Thanks (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by HwyPilot View Post
    Thanks Lizzurd for the above posting. We missed a few things in the thread so far (or I did reading it through):

How many miles are on the car?

When have you had the cooling system serviced?

What has been done on the car in the past?

Does the car sit there and overheat without the fan coming on at all?

I'd suggest you have someone run the codes on the car, and see if anything shows. The dealer could probably see which temperature sensor is out of whack, but they are cheap and you can take a guess at it.

Things you can do as preventative maintenance:

Rinse the radiator with a garden hose (DO NOT USE HIGH PRESSURE) at least once a year to get the grime and bugs out of the fins. A friend did this himself at a car wash one time and flattened all the radiator fins - it took us 2 screwdrivers and a 12 pack of beer to fix it up again. A garden hose will take care of it without causing damage, takes about 30 minutes, and it's really simple, spray water into the grill (it's a good idea to do it when the engine's cold) and make sure it comes out clean.

Make sure you have the coolant changed at or before 100k miles. If your coolant is looking murky in the reservoir, it probably needs to be changed.
    If yopu questions are for the OP (mar) he/she hasn't been back since Jan 2009.

The info posted here can still help someone else in the future with the same issue.

Thanks (Received)
    Lizzurd, I know it's been a while but we are experiencing similar issues with our CRV. The head has been resurfaced, fans are turning on, water pump has been replaced, thermostat was taken out by the mechanic that worked on the head refinishing, it has been put back in, hoses and radiator have been flushed and replaced, it STILL overheats, sensor (unsure which one) has been replaced, car cannot be driven, it's so frustrating after doing all this work ($1800). ANY suggestions by you, or anyone else would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks (Received)
    I have the same problem but as i've only just got the car i need to monitor it first. A lot of conflicting info on this post so i'll give a bit more detail about my problem.
    Driving on the motorway at 70mph the engine is fine but when i got to the town and i had to stop for traffic lights the engine gauge would rise to about 80 - 90% of the gauge. The fans came on about 10 seconds after i stopped. As soon as i start driving the gauge would drop and return to the 55% normal mark within 5 seconds.
    Surely if i am stationary and the fans are on, this should cool the engine.
    I've ordered a flush and will add that and change the coolant first.
    Anyone know why the two fans are different sizes? Is it a two stage fan system?
    Phil

Thanks (Received)
    Maybe an idea to fit a bigger fan in the car. In the attic above my bathroom i have installed a 50cm (20inch) industrial fan to remove the condensation. Works better than the original 10cm (4inch).
    Also i might remove some slats from the grill, check the rad for bugs, etc. As an industrial equipment designer i notice the air, once it has passed the engine, doesn't have much room to escape. If the air can't escape it will build up pressure and stay there.
    Phil

crv|oc Rank: Silver
    Thanks (Received)
    It could be a couple of things.
    The fans are not running at full speed.

The thermostat is not opening fully. Replace it with a Honda OEM one. (you can take the old one out and test it, but for the same amount of work you may as well just install a new Honda one. You can test the new one in a pot of hot water and a thermometer, if you wish). I believe they cost aropnd $35. Look it up.

Faulty gauge temp or sensor. Borrow or buy an OBD2 reader and use it.

Next time while you are at a stop, put it in Neutral and keep the revs up to around 2000 rpm to see it that helps. If so, the coolant isn't circulating good enough at low rpm,
    Could be clogged coolant passages, thermostat not opening enough which can cause low pump volume which doesn't let enough coolant through the thermostat at low rpms.

The air has plenty of room to escape behind the engine, between the radiator and the engine and on both sides of the engine. If that was the problem, almost all CRVs would overheat at idle.
    Since the engine temp is good at speed (and higher rpms) it sure sounds like there is not enough coolant flow at low rpms or that the sensor that turns the fans on is not turning them on at the proper temp, which I think that temp should be around 195F + or - 5 degrees or so.

Buffalo4
    Last edited by Buffalo4; 03-20-2017 at 05:31 PM.

Thanks (Received)
    How long since the water pump has been replaced?
    -Brent

2012 Honda Civic Si
    2000 Honda CR-V EX 4 Speed Automatic 4WD
    2006 Honda CR-V EX 5 Speed Manual 4WD

crv|oc Rank: Silver
    Thanks (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cariad1256 View Post
    I have the same problem but as i've only just got the car i need to monitor it first. A lot of conflicting info on this post so i'll give a bit more detail about my problem.
    Driving on the motorway at 70mph the engine is fine but when i got to the town and i had to stop for traffic lights the engine gauge would rise to about 80 - 90% of the gauge. The fans came on about 10 seconds after i stopped. As soon as i start driving the gauge would drop and return to the 55% normal mark within 5 seconds.
    Surely if i am stationary and the fans are on, this should cool the engine.
    I've ordered a flush and will add that and change the coolant first.
    Anyone know why the two fans are different sizes? Is it a two stage fan system?
    Phil
    The two fans are different sizes. One is the radiator fan and the other is the condenser fan which goes on when the AC is on and/or when the coolant temp gets around 200 F or so.
    I still would recommend putting in a new OEM thermostat, since your yr CRV is a 2000 and it may have never been replaced.
    I have a 2003 Ody and I replaced the radiator and the thermostat with aftermarket ones and while driving at around 75mph on a hot day (1000 mile trip), my temps would get up to around 220F, which it never did before. I thought it could be the cheaper radiator I installed. If I shifted down one gear , the temp would quickly drop (rpm increase and water pump flow increase). I bought a new OEM thermostat and took out the new aftermarket thermostat and put both in a pot of boiling water and the OEM one opened up wider. I installed the OEM thermostat, and my problem went away.
    Overall, the coolant flow at idle rpms in your CRV is insufficient to do the job.

Are you losing coolant?

Buffalo4
    Last edited by Buffalo4; 03-21-2017 at 12:44 PM.

13. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast