99 Crv overheating when idle
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home – General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 99 Crv overheating when idle

mar
    crv|oc Rank: Member

99 Crv overheating when idle

I have a 99 crv and it starts to over heat when im in traffic and im idle, but the moment i start driving it starts to cool off. There is coolant in the radiator. Is there any specific reason for this?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Silver
    Thermo stat is where I would start. I bet it's bad.
    Hidden Content <--- Click for a totalled CR-V.

crv|oc Rank: Silver Black Pearl's Avatar

Check The Fan Fuse

The fact that the car runs cool when moving indicates that the cooling system seems to be fine with air moving across the radiator. Have you checked the fan fuses? With the car sitting especially if it is hot the fan(s) should be running.

Welcome to the club and good luck with your cooling problem.
    The Black Pearl . . . 2007 EX, 4WD, 5AT, Nighthawk Black Pearl

“Being Irish he had an abiding sense of tragedy which sustained him through temporary periods of joy.” W. B. Yeats

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." Bertrand Russell

5. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

mar
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Pearl View Post
    The fact that the car runs cool when moving indicates that the cooling system seems to be fine with air moving across the radiator. Have you checked the fan fuses? With the car sitting especially if it is hot the fan(s) should be running.

Welcome to the club and good luck with your cooling problem.
    The Fuses Checked out okay...both fans cut on when i turn on the a/c, but when im sitting and the a/c is off none of the fans are running & also how would i go about checking the thermostat myself?

crv|oc Rank: Silver Black Pearl's Avatar

What Happens If You Leave The A/C On?

What happens if you leave the A/C on, will it stay cool then? If so I don't believe the problem to be your thermostat, but rather the sensor or device that tells the fans to come on. It seems to me that if the thermostat was not opening that the car would over heat when it is moving as well.
    The Black Pearl . . . 2007 EX, 4WD, 5AT, Nighthawk Black Pearl

“Being Irish he had an abiding sense of tragedy which sustained him through temporary periods of joy.” W. B. Yeats

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." Bertrand Russell

Quote Originally Posted by mar View Post
    The Fuses Checked out okay...both fans cut on when i turn on the a/c, but when im sitting and the a/c is off none of the fans are running & also how would i go about checking the thermostat myself?
    Your problem is the same as mine. I have a 2000 CRV and i got my overhead refaced, flush out sludged, and radiator cleansed, but it still overheats. The main culprit is the thermostat! i removed it and viola, it works!

crv|oc Rank: Silver
    Quote Originally Posted by mar View Post
    If the fan (s) don't work at idle without the ac on, you probably have a problem with the sensor that is supposed to turn the fan on.
    Without a fan and the vehicle not moving, it definitely will overheat, unless it is very cold outside.

Buffalo4
    PS: I'm not sure where that sensor is or how to check it.
    At least the fans work so, until you get if fixed, turn on the AC when the engine starts getting hot.
    PPS: That sensor is located on the thermostat housing.
    Last edited by Buffalo4; 05-05-2011 at 09:31 AM. Reason: More info

you guys are crazy!! i bet you its the WATERPUMP! secondly make sure u have fluid make sure ur fans turn on then it can only be 2 things thermostat or waterpump.. thermostat and radiator cap is a easy and cheap fix which i would do first and cross ur fingers if not.... I KNOW ITS THE WATERPUMP... been playin with hondas for years... good luck pm me if anything

while ur ideling u gotta wait a while before the fans turn on.. if they dont n car starts to over heat then u gotta change ur temp sensor n fan switch.... easy fix

crv|oc Rank: Sophomore
    Your thermostat is likely ok,water pump as well.There is a temperature sensor that monitors coolant temp.It turns on a fan when the temp reaches a certain point.Also...when the A/C is turned on it is supposed to automatically turn on a fan as well.I suggest you find,and replace the fan coolant temp sensor.It should be fairly cheap.

13. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast