Rotational clicking from rear under braking
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home – General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rotational clicking from rear under braking

crv|oc Rank: Member

Rotational clicking from rear under braking

Hi All

I am getting a rotational clicking/knocking noise from the rear of my V. This sounds like it is on drivers side and is only evident when braking and only audible from about 20mph down to a crawl. It appears to be there whether in drive or in neutral but then with non permanent 4WD i guess this would not matter. The brake discs (rotors) and pads were changed on all 4 wheels about 600 miles ago and I have been back and they have checked them again and have found no problems.

If when stopped I physically rock the drivers rear wheel back and forth I hear a knock which is not evident on the passenger rear. I suspected the new discs but now I think is this a bearing or a rear diff/rear driveshaft/CV joint issue.

PS - I changed the rear diff fluid about 1,500 miles ago after noise on a slow lock and it has been silent since then.

Any ideas please ?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

MECP Audio Expert
    when they put the pads on I bet they "lost" on of the clips that puts pressure on the brake pad. I've seen that before.

crv|oc Rank: Silver
    X2

If you just had the pads done and the noise is new, that would be the place I would look.

Just because they looked does not mean that they looked good enough. I'm sure they did not disassemble the brakes and without doing so there is only so much you can see.

The pads might not be well ground or not parallel. So that contact will not be as it should be until it is broken in.

I try to go with OEM pads or high end specialty pads. Often aftermarket stuff (particularly the shims) just do not fit in the calipers well.

With brakes often you get what you pay for.

-Rg
    Last edited by Radar24; 01-29-2009 at 10:49 AM.

Thes were not OEM parts and this was not fitted by a dealer.

The noise only occurs when I brake light or medium. If I press harder it goes away.

Can I rule out driveshaft issues as I would think this would be evident when taking up drive and not under braking ? I take it at the rear the driveshafts are just "freewheeling " anyway.

Revisit the brakes

The rear driveshafts are still turning. But why look there under the unlikely occurrence they failed while having the brakes done. Notice I said unlikely but not impossible.

Concentrate on the brakes!

That is once again what I would do.

-Rg

MECP Audio Expert
    even though they checked them, doesnt mean they are still right. I would ask if you bring it somewhere else, and they find the problem and fix it, and it was due to shotty install, if they will cover the bill under install warranty, since they cant seem to find the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by illegal View Post
    even though they checked them, doesnt mean they are still right. I would ask if you bring it somewhere else, and they find the problem and fix it, and it was due to shotty install, if they will cover the bill under install warranty, since they cant seem to find the issue.
    Now we are talking. Not a bad idea. Post #3 agrees about it being correct after inspection cannot be guaranteed.

Even though they likely will not go for another shop working on it, won't hurt to try.

-Rg
    Last edited by Radar24; 01-29-2009 at 04:14 PM.

crv|oc Rank: Senior
    Well this is just my take but i had a similar problem. a rotational clicking sound. But is was part of the black plastic protective stuff near the front wheels. part of it would accasionally hang down and get caught against the tire and make the noise. You may have a similar problem. Just speeking from my experiences.
    Nothing is as cool as rollin' thru da hood with 122 cubic inches

I think I'm having the same issue. I just bought this car a few weeks ago, and the problem definitely wasn't there for the first week or so. I had my mechanic do a pre-purchase inspection, and they said the brakes are reasonably new. Last week, I started to notice the noise a little bit, but today it got a lot worse.

It definitely seems to be a problem with the brakes. I tried letting the car slow to a crawl in an empty parking lot without applying the brakes to see if it's just an issue of moving at slow speeds, and it doesn't make the sound. But with the brakes applied, it makes the noise from about 30 MPH down to 0. I would describe the sound as er-ee-er-ee-er-ee-er...ee...er...ee...errrr as I come to a stop.

It's an 03 4WD EX AT.

Poond, what ended up happening with yours?

I'm planning to take mine to my mechanic in a couple days.
    Last edited by ChiantiRed03; 02-12-2009 at 08:42 AM.

Hi Chianti

Th enoise went away for a coupl eof days then came back and is as bad as ever. I think they may have missed lubricating the sliders so will be going back to see then asap.

If 2REDV's is out there please can you reply re "dreaded brake knock" as I you seemed to know something about this, I PM'd you and had no reply.

I'll keep you posted Chianti on a result.

12. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements