99 CRV Driver door won't open from inside or outside
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 99 CRV Driver door won't open from inside or outside

crv|oc Rank: Member

99 CRV Driver door won't open from inside or outside

I have a 99 CRV that the driver door won't open. Outside handle and inside handle doesn't work. When I put the key into the driver door handle, it seems like the key won't turn all the way to the right to fully unlock the door. When I try to manually pull the lock up from the inside it seems like I can't pull it up all the way. The inside manual lock when pulled up or down locks the doors but I sounds funny, like it isn't fully working.

So how do I go about getting the driver door latch openned to get the door panel off to take a look at this monster.

I talked to a guy at the Honda dealer, he said something about a long handled screwdriver and popping the latch from the inside. $130 to have a tech look at it and might run claser to $400.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

I had this happen to me also. The mechanics inside the door are rusty and seizing up. Basicly your door thinks it's still locked that's why it won't open. Just keep trying until you can get the door open, then remove you door liner and go from there. Where do you live?

http://www.hondasuv.com/members/show...ght=door+latch

I just noticed this posted on another forum, tried pulling up on the inside lock with pliers, didn't work, broke the plastic rod. Didn't seem to have any additional movement, seemed to stretch a little then broke.

Does anyone know what I would be looking for inside the door to unlock the latch?

well that bad part of all this . is what are you going to break . you have to first remove the door panel without opening the door . which is possible. if you take the lower b pillar trim off first it seems to help . now once the door panel is off and the window is rolled to the full closed position .you can either try fiddling with the latch and or lock releases rods or remove actuator from the latch and find the back up release which is to the lower right corner of the latch assembly usually .its a little nipple u cant see (will be covered by a metal plate with about 1/8 clearance . this nipple slides up or down . u may as well buy a new latch assembly .dont open the bag and u can see the release . hope i didnt scare you .

This is when I wish I could be everywhere. Doors are my specialty and would love to be there and help out. It's hard to explain in this forum on what to do without seeing everything. And it's hard gor you to know exactly what parts we are talking about. I can send pics and directions from the book if you like. But I need your e-mail address. I can't post them on here because it would mean my job. Let me know what you need.

Would like to see the pic's, that would be a great help.

My email: fastlanelabs@yahoo.com

do you have a fax?

OK, I sent them via e-mail. They will be a pdf file for acrobate reader.

Thank you, I'll see if I can reach the bottom screws to pop the bottom of the door panel off with it being closed.

Success. Father in law helped me out. He took plastic panel off between driver door and back door. Was able to pry screwdriver inbetween door and door panel at that point. Panel popped off enough to get an arm in and see what was going on. There was a piece of metal that was blocking the door locking rod from going all the way down. Used a screwdriver to push the metal piece back, once he did that the door locking rod was able to go all the way down and the door opened up.

Want to replace the door latch and actuator.

I owe my father in law a good bottle of scotch.

12. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements