Check engine light.
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Check engine light.

crv|oc Rank: Member

Check engine light.

Hi,
    I just purchased a 1999 CR-V and I love it. When I test drove the CR-V prior to buying it the check engine light came on. The dealer immediately took it to the shop and they reset it. They said that the engine had been washed and that this sometimes causes the check engine light to come on. At least that is what they came up with from the diagnostic code when they reset it. I took it on another test drive and all was well. I went ahead and bought the vehicle cause I really liked it. On my way home today from the dealership the check engine light came on again. I called them and they told me to bring it back in again and they would look at it. Anyone had this problem? I am afraid that they will just keep resetting it. Let me know. Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Silver
    Quote Originally Posted by kcmmike
    Hi,
    I just purchased a 1999 CR-V and I love it. When I test drove the CR-V prior to buying it the check engine light came on. The dealer immediately took it to the shop and they reset it. They said that the engine had been washed and that this sometimes causes the check engine light to come on. At least that is what they came up with from the diagnostic code when they reset it. I took it on another test drive and all was well. I went ahead and bought the vehicle cause I really liked it. On my way home today from the dealership the check engine light came on again. I called them and they told me to bring it back in again and they would look at it. Anyone had this problem? I am afraid that they will just keep resetting it. Let me know. Thanks
    Before you take it back to the dealer, go to an AutoZone or equivalent place and have the code read. Do not let them clear the code though.

Then, go to the dealer and forget to mention this.

How many miles are on this V? Have the valves EVER been adjusted?
    99 V 151k miles, 04 V 62k miles - Both red, of course.

Thanks for your help. My 99 CRV has 85000 miles on it. I don't know if the valves have ever been adjusted. Does Auto charge to read the code?

Quote Originally Posted by kcmmike
    Thanks for your help. My 99 CRV has 85000 miles on it. I don't know if the valves have ever been adjusted. Does Auto charge to read the code?
    Nope. They do it for free, hoping you will then buy parts.

It ended up being an 02 sensor. They replaced it and all is well so far. I want to take my v to a Honda dealer and have some routine maintenance done on it. I want to get the maintenance up to date. The dealer I bought it from already put a new timing belt and water pump on. I know you mentioned having the valves adjusted. Is there anything else that should be done?

Question Engine management light on

I have got a2001 CRV 2.0 auto. with 61k on the clock.The engine management light is on. Diags show random misfire but no error code .I have changed plugs ,leads ,rotor arm and distributor cap. I am thinking of the ignition coil next.

Quote Originally Posted by Largie
    I have got a2001 CRV 2.0 auto. with 61k on the clock.The engine management light is on. Diags show random misfire but no error code .I have changed plugs ,leads ,rotor arm and distributor cap. I am thinking of the ignition coil next.
    When is the last time you had the valves adjusted? Has the car ever stumbled/stalled when cold, as in during the minute or two after startup?

Never had the valves adjusted. Engine seems ok when cold but will dipa bit when pulling away whilst cold. When warmed up the tickover is erratic and it feels like it may cut out but it never has.

Quote Originally Posted by Largie
    Never had the valves adjusted. Engine seems ok when cold but will dipa bit when pulling away whilst cold. When warmed up the tickover is erratic and it feels like it may cut out but it never has.
    Here is some advice. Take it seriously.

Do not drive it. Get the valves adjusted immediately. If you do not do it yourself, ask that they be adjusted to the loose side of the specs. For example, if exhaust valves spec is .006 to .008, adjust them to .008. (I think that is the correct spec, but don't have the Helms manual in front of me) My local dealer advertises $99 for a valve adjustment and that includes a new valve cover gasket.

You are at the beginning stages of burning an exhaust valve or 2. You have the classic symptoms. This same engine was used in Europe and their manual calls for every 30k mile valve adjustments. The US manual calls for it at 105k miles. Europeans don't have the burnt valve issues. Think about it.
    Last edited by 2RedV's; 03-30-2007 at 12:29 PM.

Angry Check Engine light ON after buying a 98 CRV

I bought a 98 CRV and the check engine light came on the next day. I've been driving it for a week now. What is the usual cause of this check engine light in CRVs. It has 150k miles. Thanx.

12. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements