'98 gas cap won't click!
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: '98 gas cap won't click!

crv|oc Rank: Freshman

'98 gas cap won't click!

This is my 'new' 1998 Honda CR-V AWD and it's a great auto. It has a mere 230,000 Km on it (about 150,000 miles).

As I live in the Great White North, and as we always have snow until the ice goes off the Bay (usually Victoria Day weekend; 24th of May or thereabouts ) I have had a lot of fun making those rear wheels spin. This AWD actually works!

One thing I'd like to ask for advice about is that my gas cap doesn't click when it's turned down tight, but the manual says it should. Do I have a defective cap or do I have an after market replacement? And if it is a replacement, how can I tell?

Paul
    Last edited by Morden2004; 03-15-2009 at 05:19 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

<bump>

Anyone? Gas cap doesn't click.
    My '98 V is at 253,000 Km as/of Jan. 1, 2010

crv|oc Rank: Silver

Clicking Gas Cap

Does the check engine light come on? According to your owners manual page 137, the fuel cap should be tightened until clicks, and failure to properly install the cap will cause the check engine light to come on.

https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/...898O00136A.pdf

I believe (although I don't know it for a fact) that the rationale behind the clicking gas caps was to put a mechanism in the cap that would assure the cap was properly tightened to reduce emmisions but not overtorque the cap.

I don't know why your cap is not clicking, but if all 3 of the following conditions are true, then I don't think that I would worry about it.
    1. The light does not come on.
    2. You have no difficulty removing the cap (or installing the cap).
    3. The cap does not loosen in-between fillings.

An exception to the above may be that while the cap appears to be fine it is not properly sealing the tank (although the light should come on).

Our list of TSB's unfortunately does not go back beyond 2002. We do have one for a bad filler tube but it is applicable only to 2002 models.

I give a quick check at San Leandro Honda Parts and they do have a replacement cap. HOWEVER I DON'T KNOW IF IT IS THE CORRECT ONE FOR YOUR CAR. Their diagrams show two different fuel tanks (maybe California emmissions?), and they have one cap but not the other. Nor do I know if they will ship to Canada (I assume the Great White North that has Victoria Day to be Canada). They do have a part selector based on VIN. You can probably email them and have find out if the cap they have will work on yours and if they will ship to Canada.

http://www.slhondaparts.com/browse.a...=17670-SM4-A04

Good luck with your fuel cap.
    Last edited by Black Pearl; 03-15-2009 at 07:06 AM.
    The Black Pearl . . . 2007 EX, 4WD, 5AT, Nighthawk Black Pearl

Being Irish he had an abiding sense of tragedy which sustained him through temporary periods of joy. W. B. Yeats

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." Bertrand Russell

Thanks very much for the response.

The check engine light does not come on, and the cap stays tight between fillings.

So I guess I'm probably OK to stay with this cap. I'm guessing it's an after market replace (previous owner) hence the lack of clicking.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Pearl View Post
    Does the check engine light come on? According to your owners manual page 137, the fuel cap should be tightened until clicks, and failure to properly install the cap will cause the check engine light to come on.

https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/...898O00136A.pdf

I believe (although I don't know it for a fact) that the rationale behind the clicking gas caps was to put a mechanism in the cap that would assure the cap was properly tightened to reduce emmisions but not overtorque the cap.

I don't know why your cap is not clicking, but if all 3 of the following conditions are true, then I don't think that I would worry about it.
    1. The light does not come on.
    2. You have no difficulty removing the cap (or installing the cap).
    3. The cap does not loosen in-between fillings.

An exception to the above may be that while the cap appears to be fine it is not properly sealing the tank (although the light should come on).

Our list of TSB's unfortunately does not go back beyond 2002. We do have one for a bad filler tube but it is applicable only to 2002 models.

I give a quick check at San Leandro Honda Parts and they do have a replacement cap. HOWEVER I DON'T KNOW IF IT IS THE CORRECT ONE FOR YOUR CAR. Their diagrams show two different fuel tanks (maybe California emmissions?), and they have one cap but not the other. Nor do I know if they will ship to Canada (I assume the Great White North that has Victoria Day to be Canada). They do have a part selector based on VIN. You can probably email them and have find out if the cap they have will work on yours and if they will ship to Canada.

http://www.slhondaparts.com/browse.a...=17670-SM4-A04

Good luck with your fuel cap.
    My '98 V is at 253,000 Km as/of Jan. 1, 2010

Gas Cap

Try this, maybe it will help.
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=l5peetQ9BcI

Morden2004,

A gas cap is a perfect junk yard (Auto recycling) item or you could see if an eBay parts dealer who is parting out a CR-V has one. Lots of luck, Russ.
    98 V 200K miles

8. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements