Front End? Noise While Slow Braking
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Front End? Noise While Slow Braking

crv|oc Rank: Member

Question Front End? Noise While Slow Braking

I'm not too sure how to word what's going on with my car. First some background. It has 130,000 miles on it and the majority of maintenance has been kept up. All of a sudden I have started hearing a clunking, clicking, grinding kind of sound when I am coming to a stop. I only hear it while I'm coming to a stop, no other times. It sounds like it is in time with the revolutions of the wheels. I have taken it to the shop (3) different times. The first time they said my brakes were clattering so they replaced the pads and turned the rotors - kept making the noise. I also had them change my rear differential fluid to make the grinding noise stop when I made a sharp turn - that worked. The second time they said a seal in my front caliper(s) were going bad so they replaced them - kept making the noise. The third time they went back to the brake pads and applied some brake quiet - thought it worked, but was back to making the noise again the next day. I've tried bouncing the front bumper to try to replicate the sound, but it doesn't. It never makes the sound while driving over bumps either. Not sure if something needs lubed (isn't a squeaking sound) or replaced. Also not sure if this is a safety issue since no one can tell me what it is. I transport 2 small kids in this vehicle and travel 150 miles roundtrip daily. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thank you so much!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Freshman
    My wife's did the same thing. Come to find out the rotors were warped. They were .008's out. Never would have guessed since there was no vibration in the brake pedal. I know you had them turned but maybe they torqued them down wrong. I would start with the rotors AGAIN. Slightly warped rotors cause the calipers to slide rapidly when braking which can cause a thumping sound when slowing down.

crv|oc Rank: Member

Same issue ?

I have a 2004 V and had all 4 rotors and pads changed. This is when my noise started on the back right. A rotational cliking clunking on light braking but which goes away on harder braking. Took it back and they rebuilt the pads again and regreased them. Went away for weeks and then has returned but not as bad.

I suspect that the pads are not good quality and maybe the shape is just not right for the sliders/calipers. Maybe best to go for Honda approved pads and see what happens.

I might do this now if it gets bad again.

Sounds like the brakes are unsafe doesn't it ? I'm sure they are not but what else is it wearing down as there is obviously movement /rubbing somewhere ?

crv|oc Rank: Silver
    i bet warped rotors, simply put
    [FONT=Arial Narrow]
    [/FONTI drive a 1997 JEEP CHEROKEE
    lifted 8 inches on super swampers
    locked and geared

6. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements