98 cranks wont start, gets fuel.
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 98 cranks wont start, gets fuel.

crv|oc Rank: Member

Exclamation 98 cranks wont start, gets fuel.

Hello all, new to the forums, but not to crv's, or hondas.

My 98 V made it home one day, but will not fire back up, it turns over, is getting gas as the smell of it shows once you've cranked enough. I checked the cap and rotor, cleaned the contacts, ensured its getting spark and still no fire... I decided to start eliminating suspects, I unplugged all the injectors and voila! She ran until the fuel in the cylinders was used up. I don't know if these have a injector control module or if its part of the ecu, so what do I need to replace? I am a mechanic by trade but not by occupation anymore, so doing any work is not a problem for me.

I also have an ongoing issue that I'm sure you've all helped others with, but I changed the timing belt and water pump at around 100k if I remember correctly, and now the vehicle has 0 power, barely moves under its own power.

I made sure the timing was TDC with the timing marks and after that tried adjusting the timing via the distributor, all to no avail, rechecked and reverified the timing and still nothing. Any ideas? Does honda factory timing happen to be some rediculous retarded or advanced degree?

Thanks in advance for the help and suggestions. I need to get this car running asap as I have a daughter coming! (due 5/29)

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Silver

Welcome To The Club!

I can't help you with your specific questions but would a copy of the factory service manual help?

You can down load a copy of the service manual here:

http://downloads.hondatech.info/Auto...ICE-MANUAL.pdf

Almost 1400 pages it is not a quick download.

A couple of things that I have picked up kicking around here which may or may not apply:

1. make sure the valves are properly adjusted

2. there have been a lot of posts about the throttle valve body having problems on the older Vs.

Welcome to the club, and I hope some of this is helpful. Keep us posted on how you make out. Good luck with the V and the daughter.
    The Black Pearl . . . 2007 EX, 4WD, 5AT, Nighthawk Black Pearl

Being Irish he had an abiding sense of tragedy which sustained him through temporary periods of joy. W. B. Yeats

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." Bertrand Russell

crv|oc Rank: Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggsbud View Post
    Hello all, new to the forums, but not to crv's, or hondas.
    My 98 V made it home one day, but will not fire back up, it turns over, is getting gas as the smell of it shows once you've cranked enough. I checked the cap and rotor, cleaned the contacts, ensured its getting spark and still no fire... I decided to start eliminating suspects, I unplugged all the injectors and voila! She ran until the fuel in the cylinders was used up. I don't know if these have a injector control module or if its part of the ecu, so what do I need to replace? I am a mechanic by trade but not by occupation anymore, so doing any work is not a problem for me.
    I also have an ongoing issue that I'm sure you've all helped others with, but I changed the timing belt and water pump at around 100k if I remember correctly, and now the vehicle has 0 power, barely moves under its own power.
    I made sure the timing was TDC with the timing marks and after that tried adjusting the timing via the distributor, all to no avail, rechecked and reverified the timing and still nothing. Any ideas? Does honda factory timing happen to be some rediculous retarded or advanced degree?
    Thanks in advance for the help and suggestions. I need to get this car running asap as I have a daughter coming! (due 5/29)
    1) If it ran with the injectors unplugged (until residual fuel was burned) then you must be getting spark.
    2) Injector timing is controlled by the ECU.
    3) A couple of items you might want to check: Igniter Unit Assembly, Coil Assembly, Ignition and your ignition switch (there was a recall on Gen 1). All can be intermittent.
    4) Check the "How To" links below and make sure your valve timing is correct and that they are adjusted (clearance) properly. You would not be the first to mess up valve timing when adjusting the timing belt tension.

http://www.slhondaparts.com/browse.a...ViewParts=true

http://www.hondasuv.com/members/showthread.php?t=36323

http://home.earthlink.net/~michaelpk...o_ValveAdj.htm

Good luck getting your V back up and running and let us know how it goes.
    Last edited by tsmithvt; 04-12-2009 at 09:58 AM.

4) Check the "How To" links below and make sure your valve timing is correct and that they are adjusted (clearance) properly. You would not be the first to mess up valve timing when adjusting the timing belt tension.
    Its true that I hadn't thought about adjusting the valves, I'll have to check the lash and compare it to spec... If everything was lined up as TDC, unless honda sets the timing at a specific degree retarded or advanced, the valve timing should be fine, right? It wouldn't surprise me if that was the case, I was just hoping someone else had the same problem.

crv|oc Rank: Sophomore
    If the vehicle did not have "0 power" before the timing belt was installed, adjusting the spark timing isn't going to help. Unless you used a 'cam-lock' to keep the camshafts from moving, or were extremely careful and exacting when you installed the timing belt, odds are pretty good that your "0 power" is a result of a mis-timed camshaft. Take the valve cover back off and set the crank on TDC (which is the 'white' mark on the crank pulley, not the 'red' timing mark set between the two other timing marks) and make absolutely certain that the cam gears are properly aligned - the mark at 3 o'clock on the exhaust cam should be perfectly lined up with the 9 o'clock mark on the intake cam with the crank at TDC.
    mook /muk/
    noun: Slang. An insignificant, contemptible, or incompetent person.

"Ah, women. They make the highs higher and the lows more frequent."
    Friedrich Nietzsche
    Motorcycle Riding in West By God Virginia

http://www.elementownersclub.com/for...postcount=3415

Quote Originally Posted by Some Mook View Post
    If the vehicle did not have "0 power" before the timing belt was installed, adjusting the spark timing isn't going to help. Unless you used a 'cam-lock' to keep the camshafts from moving, or were extremely careful and exacting when you installed the timing belt, odds are pretty good that your "0 power" is a result of a mis-timed camshaft. Take the valve cover back off and set the crank on TDC (which is the 'white' mark on the crank pulley, not the 'red' timing mark set between the two other timing marks) and make absolutely certain that the cam gears are properly aligned - the mark at 3 o'clock on the exhaust cam should be perfectly lined up with the 9 o'clock mark on the intake cam with the crank at TDC.
    I will reverify all of that, but thats exactly what I did when I did the timing belt, I even followed a manual :/

Better late than Never

I know the ignition switch on the 97's had a recall. This is one of the symptoms-- the motor just cuts out OR it will crank and crank and not turn over. Then, an hour later it will start-- maybe.

My 2 centavos.

9. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements