Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

2015 Honda CR-V Vibration at idle

1M views 4K replies 501 participants last post by  Mehta 
#1 ·
I was shopping for compact SUV and I almost decide to get CR-V But When I test drive last weekend.
I've noticed that when I'm stopped and in gear, there is a noticeable vibration from the engine, I can feel it on handle and seat.
I tried with passenger side but still feel same.
Is this normal on CR-V ?

#284 ·
All the CRV 2015 have Vibration issue

All, I have 3800 miles on my Honda CRV 2015 2WD.

Don't me mistaken. All the models have issue of vibration; its intermittent. The vibration you notice when you put in drive is not the vibration we are discussing here. When you are at stop light and road is on minor ascending slop the vibration is at worst. Also, when you drive from 10-35mph and accelerating, engine has very loud humming noise. Even at 60 -70mph, you will feel the humming noise. Don't be mistaken by thinking you don't have the issue! I have driven three new 2015 (FWD and AWD) by now and all of them have the vibration issue. Even if vibration issue get fixed, I am not sure how humming noise issue will get fixed at higher RPMs. When I went to dealer first time and told them about humming noise on the highway, they balanced my tires and it did not help. My guess is engine is not tuned for idling and higher speed.

I hate to kill new car experience and excitement for some of you. My experience with Honda and American Honda customer service (when I complained about vibration) have discouraged me from recommending anyone buying Honda 2015 CRV. They flat out denied that there is an issue that is very obvious and can be reproduced easily. Another discouraging fact is that professional review sites are another arm of car manufacturing marketing dept. How professional reviewer cannot pickup on the vibration issue when most of us have noticed it right away?

Only way forward is to ensure everyone who experienced the issue is to don't relay on Honda to fix it on its own. Please complain to Honda dealer, write a letter to Honda, enter a case with Honda customer service.

Honda Customer service number is: 1 (800) 999-1009

#292 ·
All, I have 3800 miles on my Honda CRV 2015 2WD.

Don't me mistaken. All the models have issue of vibration; its intermittent. The vibration you notice when you put in drive is not the vibration we are discussing here. When you are at stop light and road is on minor ascending slop the vibration is at worst. Also, when you drive from 10-35mph and accelerating, engine has very loud humming noise. Even at 60 -70mph, you will feel the humming noise. Don't be mistaken by thinking you don't have the issue! I have driven three new 2015 (FWD and AWD) by now and all of them have the vibration issue. Even if vibration issue get fixed, I am not sure how humming noise issue will get fixed at higher RPMs. When I went to dealer first time and told them about humming noise on the highway, they balanced my tires and it did not help. My guess is engine is not tuned for idling and higher speed.

I hate to kill new car experience and excitement for some of you. My experience with Honda and American Honda customer service (when I complained about vibration) have discouraged me from recommending anyone buying Honda 2015 CRV. They flat out denied that there is an issue that is very obvious and can be reproduced easily. Another discouraging fact is that professional review sites are another arm of car manufacturing marketing dept. How professional reviewer cannot pickup on the vibration issue when most of us have noticed it right away?

Only way forward is to ensure everyone who experienced the issue is to don't relay on Honda to fix it on its own. Please complain to Honda dealer, write a letter to Honda, enter a case with Honda customer service.

Honda Customer service number is: 1 (800) 999-1009
I am facing the same issues. I have already open complain too but American Honda customer service department lady told me they are
working on last couple of months for that. Then I don't understand why they are selling the defective car to there customer. I bought my CRV just 4 weeks ago. After that what I am thing Actually Honda made this car from junk there is no reliability on this 2015 CRV. When we drive car can't fill the comfort and safe. They just want to make a money. Even they don't have good technician who are able to diagnosis this issue and Fix it. Who are going to be trust HONDA after that? They should recall all car from the market right away if they don't want to mess with that Brand name more. This is my humble request to all reader of this forum please tell this issue to every you knows like your friend, Family member, office colleagues. Spread this issue as much as you can then Honda will realize. Use social media too. Complain is not only solution they don't care about any thing.

#285 ·
These cars do have combustion engines you know which make noise and vibrations, they all do. This drive train is the same as the one in the accord and they sell hundreds of thousands.

Anyway I do appreciate all the info here and will carefully test drive the car I'm supposed to buy today.

#287 ·
We all have experienced combustion engine cars and understand engine vibrations and noise. The vibration (at stop light and at certain RPM) and hum i am talking about is much different than any other combustion engine vehicle I have own before.

Ensure to test drive it on highway for 10 minutes going above 60mph. Also, when you going above 15-20 mph, be soft on gas pedal to hear engine hum sound I been referring to. to experience vibrations, find a stop light at slight incline...Best of Luck!

#288 ·
OK, today the dealer and I came to an agreement on our new RAV4. I Should settle on it by the end of the week. My wife and I liked the CRV but after learning of the vibration issues and Honda's lack of support we looked elsewhere. I Hope Honda helps the people who have the vibration issues.

#289 ·
Received a call back from Jeff at Honda...800-999-1009 ext.117731. He told me he actually spoke with the service manager at my dealership...Jones Honda in Lancaster , PA. He said Honda is "looking into" the vibration issue. I spoke with a salesman at Jones and asked him if they are selling many '15 CR-V s. He told me he is selling everything Honda can send him. He personally has not driven one yet. Surprise ! If they are selling so many,why are they not getting complaint after complaint ? Are those of us on this site the only ones who suffer with this flaw ? I did however find a fix for my CR-V...My wife is driving it now!!! She does not complain at all. I'll drive hers until Honda finally addresses this Issue on "THE AWARD WINNING CR-V" Right now that is a joke played on all of us.
"

#291 ·
Why are they selling all those 2015 CR'V's??? thats easy.. because the car shopping public by and large isn't getting a whiff of this problem until AFTER they buy.. you dont find it in the reviews, the dealerships aren't breathing a word of it to their prospective buyers either. The dealerships won't sacrifice a single sale. They figure " it's Honda's problem, not ours". I bet the complaints ARE flooding in- and everyone is downplaying it like there is no tomorrow- when this beast finally gets out, there is going to be a price to pay both for Honda and the dealerships.

#294 ·
So I finally had my CRV "evaluated" at the dealership this evening. They ran a complete diagnostic, checked the computer against the Specs, and concluded everything was Hunky Dory,... UNTIL they test drove it..... Technican came back from the test drive and said "Oh yeah, you definitely have shuddering and vibration". Then he told me and I quote " Tech Line is aware of the problem and is currently working on a repair/fix".

Whats interesting is when I went in there and explained the shuddering problem, they looked at me like I had a third eye in the middle of my head. As if to say" well this is the first i've heard of a vibration problem" .At least now i'm officially in the system, my visit is documented and Honda will be contacting me shortly.... This is going to be real interesting...:)

#298 ·
Same experience with me BUT Honda dealer wrote on the report that 'everything is normal from diagnostic results'. Technican realized the vibration and told me yes it does vibrate and wait for fix from Honda but did not write anything about vibration on the report. Honda customer service said all is normal with your car and no further action needed. Make sure Technician wrote the vibration he felt at stop and he considers it is not normal. Otherwise, you will get played..

#299 ·
Owners, just complaining to Honda NA or dealers is not effective enough anymore, they all know what is the problem, they all know there is no solution to this flaw yet or they may never be one, they will continue to sell as many as they can until the this whole thing explodes at their face. The owners should as news media for help, or plaster your CRV with signs that it is flawed with vibration and it is a lemon to draw public attentions, if that is what it take to get Honda's attentions, hold public protest. AutoQuide came out with a review they indicate CRV shudders, Motormouth reserves its recommendation for 2105. Dealer will deny the existence to prospect buyers. Maybe someone should ask Consumer Report to launch an investigation to protect consumers if that is what they do?

#302 ·
Maybe someone should ask Consumer Report to launch an investigation to protect consumers if that is what they do?
Not a bad idea.... As I understand it, when reports came out about the oil consumption problem with the FB2.5 Subaru engine (used in the Forester 2011+ and Outback 2013+), CR added a question to their surveys about oil consumption.

This doesn't provide immediate satisfaction but it may be helpful to potential owners in the future.

Also, there is a separate CR-V Facebook page where you can post comments (other than the Honda page where some of you have posted complaints).

#300 ·
If CVT is the cause then they should immediately go back to regular transmission, only North America get CVT the rest of the world gets a 9spd, CVT are not reliable and we do not know the longevity of it, they give a us a CVT for the sake of 2 mpg better that we never ever be able to achieve in real world driving to what they claim anyway. Other than they claim better mpg with CVT there is no known good thing about it.

#303 ·
They will probably treat this like other, similar issues they've seen in the past: Sweep under rug until pile gets too big to hide under rug and then force an update OR if they're able to curtail the bad publicity and keep paying off the reviewers to rank them high, they *may* release a secret update to the idle point on the next model year and either not offer the reflash to 2015 people or you have to pay to have it done.

#306 · (Edited)
Please anyone know which is the mailing address for the Honda complain and send them a legal notice. Please if you have it put the address below this post. you can also send a notice to your dealer to because as per the Honda say dealer has rights to take your vehicle back but they don't want to take back. they are nor able to help anything. What kind of dealership provide the service to their customer. My dealer is in Dallas Texas number one seller DavidMcdavid Honda Frisco.

#307 ·
in my pretty thorough test drives of the touring i never noticed any vibration issues at idle or any speed, but the base loaner i was given the other day (my touring wasn't ready to pick up due to a problem) definitely exhibited the problem. however, i also think this thread is overblown about the issue.

the 3 scenarios i've seen described:

at idle with a/c off and usually in econ mode the engine was running probably about 700 rpms and this caused a bit of vibration i could feel in the passenger head rest like described here, and i could feel it in general. to 'solve' the idle vibration i simply hit a/c button and the idle raised by about 100rpm and it was smooth as silk.

at 20-40 with low gas pedal pressure i could again feel a bit of vibration but it was definitely minor. didn't matter if a/c was on or off.

at highway speeds - others have said they notice it, but i didn't notice it at all.

i suspect the touring has better sound proofing which maybe hides the vibration too. i found the base model had much more road noise.

ultimately i decided not to take my touring because i was disappointed a brand new car had a problem and with my loaner experience i felt i might end up with buyer's remorse. however i still say the crv (at least in touring form) is an AWESOME vehicle and i am AMAZED at how efficient and responsive and smooth the drivetrain is.

#308 ·
See

You would not buy one because you do acknowledge that the problem does exist.
Many here paid 27k plus for this POS. Imagine yourself paying 27k or 30k for a brand new car and have to deal with this issue. You would be hell irritated and demanding for a resolution so for you to say that this thread is over blowing is very inconsiderate.

You might as well go work for Honda or be one of their reviewers.

#310 ·
OK, let's assume for the sake of discussion, that some percentage of 2015 Honda CR-Vs vibrate at idle to such a degree that it's noticeable and irritating to those driving the vehicle.

From where I'm sitting, there would seem to be two likely outcomes to the complaints reflected by this thread: 1) Honda agrees the issue is significant enough to require corrective measures of some sort; or 2) the company considers the issue and determines that it doesn't require corrective measures.

With regard to the first possibility, "corrective measures" would (IMHO) require the re-design of the rubber insulators (motor mounts) that are installed between the engine block and chassis when the vehicle is assembled. (This assumes that the company will not increase the idle speed of the engine for the reasons previously discussed -- namely, that "fix" would require EPA re-certification. Not going to happen.) With regard to the potential for a re-design of the motor mounts, this possibility would require analysis, prototyping of replacement components, lab and field testing, and then, depending on the outcome of testing, development, manufacturing and, eventually, distribution of replacement components for installation. Best case scenario: This work would require at least six months of very intense, expensive engineering. And that's assuming the complaints reflected here are significant enough to require corrective measure. Therefore, unless and until HMC determines that there exists a significant problem affecting "X" percentage of Honda CR-V owners -- and I humbly suggest this thread hardly reflects that is the case now -- we are ready to move to outcome number two above.

Finally, it is worth mentioned that Honda's CR-V sales numbers rose 12.6 percent in December on sales of 32,369 units, and 10.2 percent YTD on sales of 335,019. Consequently, those who are urging others to take their complaints to various forms of social media, such as Facebook, may wish to take a moment, reflect on those sales numbers, and re-assess whether their perceptions of this issue are nearly as significant and widespread as they may think.

#311 ·
2) the company considers the issue and determines that it doesn't require corrective measures.
This will most likely be the outcome for the foreseable future I would think if the percentage of complaints is small enough. I base this on the fact that some of us with 2012 - 2014's have been having issues with the vtc actuator grinding when temps are low enough. This has been going on with the Accords since 2008. There was even a TSB issued by Honda for it, but no redesign of faulty component, no recall, etc.

So I'm assuming in Honda's "mind" it doesn't make financial sense to put in the effort to come up with a permanent fix. Unfortunately that means that those that do have the vibration issue may have a long battle on your hands trying to get this resolved which shouldn't be the case when you fork over 25k + for a new car.

#314 ·
tpm316, after many, many years of reading Honda boards, I've come to appreciate how Honda owners react to maintenance and drivability issues. It's no exaggeration to say most owners expect -- indeed, many demand -- a perfect car. From my perspective, that's unrealistic. In this instance, you clearly believe that your issues are a universal problem based on what you've been told, and my humble effort to suggest there are other perspectives to consider clearly is not going to change your opinion. I hope you find a solution that you can accept.

#315 · (Edited)
It's no exaggeration to say most owners expect -- indeed, many demand -- a perfect car. From my perspective, that's unrealistic.
It's not unrealstic however to expect a perfect car that you just drove off the lot. The folks here with the virbation issue, and even myself with the VTC issue, did not expect any issue a few weeks/months into ownership of the vehicle. In my case, I purchased my V in August of 2013 and in December of 2013 I was getting the vtc grinding.

Call me crazy for expecting a new vehicle to not have issues so soon. If someone was to say, hey I'm getting this vibration issue with 100k miles for example, then I can see all cars at some point will have issues.

I do agree with what someone else stated that Honda seems to be resting on their laurels. I bought into it. I've had Accords previously and they were great so I didn't give it much thought or do much research when I was looking at the CR-V. I read the good reviews, test drove and went with that. That's on me so lesson learned. I love my V and don't plan on changing it out any time soon, but it's perfectly rational to expect a perfect vehicle when first purchased imo.

#317 · (Edited)
have to agree with tpm316 completely and wolf29 has put it nicely. If I knew about the problem before we bought the Touring, I would not have (close call between Forester, CRV, and RAV4). One of the major reason why we went with CRV was the popularity (cant dispute that), established reliability, and hence the resale value when it comes to it. The competitor models (they have their flaws) were not far behind. I did not feel the vibrations since due to the winters, we always had the heating or the fan or the lights on. Yesterday we recreated the conditions at which others have been experiencing the vibrations, and discovered that our CRV has the vibrations at idling, and I would like to state that I can not drive this vehicle with those vibrations. So switched on the lights, and vibrations went away. I am going to swallow this bitter pill. Honda will do what is best for their business, irrespective of all the public relations rhetoric around customer satisfaction.
However, I will, whenever there is an opportunity, share my experience with others. Not because I have a grudge against Honda (they are at fault, clearly did not do it deliberately, but they are making money on every sale, and the performance of their vehicles is their responsibility), but because I have learnt from the experience of others, and I would like to reciprocate. I will not be making recommendations, just sharing my experience, both good and bad.
If someone is aggrieved, s/he has a right to express opinion and resentment.

#318 ·
I'm so disappointed in Honda, I was such a supporter for so many years (seven vehicles), and they just chose greed over quality and now I'm afraid it may be too late to fix their reputation. What has happened to this once proud auto maker?
Never again will I buy a Honda automobile!

#319 ·
I agree badlands,

if they choose to marginalize this problem and ultimately decide the vehicles "are within spec" or are
" just characteristics of this vehicle" m y relationship with Honda will come to an end. Even if it ultimately effects just 1% of the vehicles, (which i'm betting is waaay more than that) thats still Thousands of CRV's.

#320 · (Edited)
I'm very sorry to hear of this problem with the 2015 CRV's. Honda went through the trouble to completly re-design the 2.4, which I understand has resulted in improved fuel economy and more torque, and (I hope) no more cold start rattle with the intake camshaft VTC)!

I am one of the thousands or tens of thousands with a 2012-14 CRV with a VTC that rattles upon cold start when ambient air temps are low (40 and under).

Unfortunately for me, after I purchased the car, I learned that this has been a known issue with the 2.4 back to 2008 in the accord, civic and CR-V. Had I known this when I purchased the vehcile, I would have either bought a RAV-4 or Forester.

But such is life, Wolf's posts are accurate regarding this issue. Unfortunately it appears that Honda is not willing to provide proper time and research into the VTC rattle to produce a new VTC that won't rattle. This is a major black-eye on an otherwise great vehicle.

My family have been loyal Honda customers for many years (my mom is on her 3rd CRV, that also has the VTC rattle!) because Honda always produced a quality product that was dependable and trouble free. It seems that now they are more interested in sales figures than they are about product quality.

IF their response to the VTC rattle is any indication of how they will respond to this vibration issue, I would not hold my breath that they will address it in a timely manner.

When my wife is ready for a new car in a few more years, I will try to gently push her towards Subaru or Toyota. Yes, they have their faults, but at least they don't have metal on metal internal engine noise that is unaddressed for going on 7 years!

#321 ·
When my wife is ready for a new car in a few more years, I will try to gently push her towards Subaru or Toyota. Yes, they have their faults, but at least they don't have metal on metal internal engine noise that is unaddressed for going on 7 years!
I'm leaning that way too for myself when I decide to get rid of the V. Which could be years from now or sooner depending what happens with the vtc issue and if it does any real damage or not. My wife had a Toyota Highlander for over 200k miles with no problems. On the flip, I've had Accords with close to that but bith cars were older generations. So is it that quality is just going by the wayside and no matter what you get it's inevitable that there will be problems or is Honda just slipping...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.