Possible to turn off the automatic door lock feature?
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Possible to turn off the automatic door lock feature?

yam
    crv|oc Rank: Member

Possible to turn off the automatic door lock feature?

Hi, I have a 2004 CR-V with keyless entry. There's a feature that locks the doors after 30 seconds if you press a button on the remote but don't open the doors. This feature is driving me crazy!

It seems that sometimes it locks even if I *do* open a door, and sometimes it locks sooner than 30 seconds. How do I fix this, or better yet, disable this feature altogether?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Platinum
    I too would like to know that, I always just rush over to the car to open a door, or click the remote constantly, drives my wife crazy.

crv|oc Rank: Junior
    I don't understand what the problem is. Unlock the door, then open one of them. Simple. Why unlock them if you don't need to.

But if yours lock in less than 30 seconds, or lock if you have opened a door, you have a legitimate problem.

crv|oc Rank: Freshman
    Quote Originally Posted by drivezki View Post
    I don't understand what the problem is. Unlock the door, then open one of them. Simple. Why unlock them if you don't need to.

But if yours lock in less than 30 seconds, or lock if you have opened a door, you have a legitimate problem.
    It seems that it has to be the drivers door that must be opened to stop the cycle, unfortunately.

I've had this same thing happen to my CR-V several times with any of the other 3 doors opened and/or the hatch.

My lady friend had it happen at the dealer's after they turned over the keys to her 'new to her' 2003 CR-V. She unlocked it with the remote, opened the front passenger door, dropped everything on the passenger seat, closed the door and 20 seconds later <CLUNK> as the locks dropped!! Luckily the hatch was ajar and a service tech crawled throught and unlocked the V.
    My '98 V is at 253,000 Km as/of Jan. 1, 2010

crv|oc Rank: Silver

Auto door lock programmed off, how to

I believe I asked the salesman if this or some other control option was a programmable feature. The answer was a flat out no, it is not. Now it is possible he might not have the correct info.

Bottom line all this and most of the other cabin control features on the '07-'08 V are controlled by the MICS module or Multiplex Integrated Control System. If it is not programmable we are all SOL.

As it turns out the salesman was wrong. I think even the lowly LX is programmable. I remember going thru this procedure now.

From P85 of the '07 manual:

To turn the auto door lock modes off:

1. Make sure the shift lever is in Park (P), and open the driver's door.
    2. Turn the ignition switch to the ON (II) position.
    3. Set the parking brake.
    4. Push and hold the front of the master door lock switch on the driver's door. You will hear a clicking sound after about 5 seconds.
    5. Release the switch and then, within 5 seconds, turn the ignition switch to the LOCK (O) position.

I remember doing this quite a few times before it took. So if it does not turn the auto door lock off blame yourself and repeat steps 1-5.

There is an auto door unlock feature. It has has five possible settings. Go to page 86 (or the corresponding page for your year) and read your owner's manual!

-Rg
    Last edited by Radar24; 05-28-2009 at 06:49 AM.

crv|oc Rank: Sophomore
    The OP's V does not have the "personalization" features mentioned in the previous post.

By design, if the the doors are unlocked with a remote, and the control module does not receive a 'door open' input (dome lamp circuit) within approximately 30 seconds, the locks will automatically relock. This design feature is provided in case the vehicle should become inadvertantly unlocked (as in the remote keyfob gets jostled while within range of the vehicle) it will relock in a short timeframe to provide content theft deterence. There is no provision for defeating this feature other than to unlock the vehicle using a key instead of the remote.

If the vehicle relocks after a door was opened, then there is a problem with the door open input circuit. Typically this issue can be traced to a jamb switch.

As an aside note, if one were to unlock a Honda and wish to leave the keys with the vehicle while not entering the vehicle, the safest thing to do is place the key in the ignition switch cylinder (this will eliminate the possability of the doors locking due to the keyless entry module), or in an outer door lock cylinder. I made the mistake one time of dropping my keys on the front seat while I went to tend the dogs, my wife left for work in her vehicle and a remote to my vehicle was in her purse. The result was that I was locked out of the house and my vehicle, with my keys and cell phone laying on the front seat of my vehicle. Now, if I choose to leave the keys "in" the vehicle so I don't misplace them elsewhere while running around getting ready to leave, I leave the key in the outer door lock cylinder. Live and learn, usually the hard way.
    Last edited by Some Mook; 05-28-2009 at 07:55 AM.
    mook /muk/
    noun: Slang. An insignificant, contemptible, or incompetent person.

"Ah, women. They make the highs higher and the lows more frequent."
    Friedrich Nietzsche
    Motorcycle Riding in West By God Virginia

http://www.elementownersclub.com/for...postcount=3415

crv|oc Rank: Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by Morden2004 View Post
    It seems that it has to be the drivers door that must be opened to stop the cycle, unfortunately.
    Not true!

If that's how your's works, there's a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Some Mook View Post
    The OP's V does not have the "personalization" features mentioned in the previous post. ...
    Nice to hear from you again some Mook.
    I was wondering and worrying about your hiatus.
    Hoping you did not disappear like 2RedV's

So the '07 and up Vs are the only ones with the MICS?
    That has the Door Lock 'Personalization' feature capability described in the OM?

Then the earlier versions have a 'Dumb' hard wired relays, actuators and switches system without digital control as opposed to a 'Smart programmable' MICS. Actually 'Smart' might be a stretch ...
    More like 'borderline low intelligence' with minimal capability.
    Or in PC terms 'challanged'...

-Rg

crv|oc Rank: Sophomore
    Older Honda's have a much more primative version of the Multiplex Control Module system. Newer Honda vehicles ('07 and up - the Ridgeline had personalization available about mid-production of it's 1st model year) finally started catching up with 21st century automotive technology (Acura was getting there with the '05 RL) when the CAN (Controller Area Network) protocols (a much more integrated system of various control units with faster communications) were implemented.

Incidently, the 'personalization' features available for the door lock system on the newer vehicles do not over-ride the automatic re-lock feature if the vehicle is unlocked with a remote and a 'door open' input is not received within 30 or so seconds. The newer vehicles simply give the operator different options regarding automatic door lock functions tied to ignition switch or transmission range switch positions.
    mook /muk/
    noun: Slang. An insignificant, contemptible, or incompetent person.

"Ah, women. They make the highs higher and the lows more frequent."
    Friedrich Nietzsche
    Motorcycle Riding in West By God Virginia

http://www.elementownersclub.com/for...postcount=3415

Oh, great. Back to the drawing board.

I think the auto re-lock is what everyone was complaining about.

The way I set my 'personalization' right after I bought it is fine with me. Basically no fancy smancy lock or unlock this but not that.

On mine one click of the remote open only the drivers door. A second click everything else. I am not sure if there is an option to open everything with one click.

One click locks everything. I would have liked instant acknowledgment that it is locked but to do that requires a second click of the lock button. This seems to be the standard convention adopted by both GM and Honda. I do not know about the others.

Shift to Drive lock everything.
    Shift to park unlocks everything.

I think that is how I set it. Perhaps someone with a baby or kids might want to do otherwise. Like set it to never unlock the back doors!

Ha, Ha! I crack myself up!

-Rg

12. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements