Clear fluid leak, but what?
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clear fluid leak, but what?

crv|oc Rank: Member

Unhappy Clear fluid leak, but what?

My 2003 CR-V is leaking something from somewhere. At first we thought the garage floor was wet from a recent heavy rain, but the moisture was concentrated under the car. I moved the car to the side, and a few days later I had a new slick of moisture under the car, always fresh.

It's a clear fluid, seems slightly slippery, but if it is, it's pretty subtle. Coolant, power steering, brake fluid and washer fluid levels seem OK. After driving it a little ways, I noticed a metallic grinding sound coming from outside, toward the back. I could just be hypersensitive to abnormalities like this, but that made me think of the differential. Could I be leaking differential fluid? What does that look like? Any other ideas?

Thanks for your thoughtful responses, whether they end up being helpful or not.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Senior
    Differential fluid ranges in colors from bright cherry red to murky brown depending on how long it has been since you changed it last. One thought was that the moisture was from the A\C dripping?

crv|oc Rank: Platinum
    differential fluid is kind of red, or pinkish, not clear. It could just be condensation, but if the rear end is making a discernable grinding sound, you might as well check the diff. You can jack up one side of the car in the back, and slide under it and look, a leak may be visible from there. To get the fluid out is pretty easy too, by using only the end of a socket wrench (I believe 3/4") to undo it as it's just a square hole in a plug.

It could be oil as well, since it's brown and can look a similar color on the driveway, or garage floor if it's dirty, but I doubt it's oil. Not sure of a fluid in the car that's actually clear, or clearish, and definitly not in the rear end. Only two fluids I can think of that can leak out of the back is the pinkish diff fluid or yellow/white brake fluid.

It's conceivable, but I haven't driven it since Sunday, and there was leakage on the garage floor under the car when I checked today (Thursday).

crv|oc Rank: Junior
    You don't say where you are from but I'll just bet you have been running your A/C. If the puddle is always under the engine compartment, favors the passenger side under the firewall and is gone (evaporates) after a few hours/overnight, it's condensate (water) from your A/C evaporator.

If so, it's good that it's going on the ground. It means the drain is clear. Otherwise it goes on your carpets, inside.

OK, so it doesn't sound like differential fluid then, but maybe I ought to get that checked anyway. That leaves brake fluid? Brakes seemed a little soft today, but again that could be my imagination too.

I guess I'll check (or double-check) the heck out of all the levels I can tomorrow. And I'll stick a pan or something under it so I can get a better sample of what's leaking.

Thanks again for responses so far.

crv|oc Rank: Junior
    If you can touch the liquid a bit, feel the texture. If you could smell it a bit. If you have a bottle of brake fluid you can compare it to.

Question water leak under the 2002 crv

i have been having a puddling of water right under the car sorta in the middle, we have noticed this since it has gotten hotter and we have been using the ac, this is a clear liquid not anti freeze or any kind of oil, all my liquids seem to be where they should be, not sure if it does have any thing to do with the ac?:confused

crv|oc Rank: Freshman
    the car's exhaust can produce condensation. if set up correctly, the condensation should come out of the tail pipe. but if the pipe has been compromised in such a way that the tip of the exhaust got pushed in and has now created a just big enough separation between pipes or catalytic converter or muffler.....big enough to cause a gap that creates the grinding noise while driving but small enough to not let all the condensation out from the pipes. a hot pipe expands, but shrinks when cooled down. what if all the condensation has piled up inside the pipes while driving, then overnight when it cools down, releases all the accumulated water through the little crack/gap/tear in the pipes.

i'm only suggesting this scenario because it's exactly what happened to my suzuki suv after an slight fender bender. tail pipe got pushed in and the front end of the muffler developed a slight tear in it........over time it got bigger and rusted out enough to create a slight grinding noise when going over bumps. overnight i always had a puddle under the car from 15 miles of freeway driving. just a thought.

crv|oc Rank: Freshman
    You'll have to touch it...

If its clear oil...it can only be brake or power steering. (were these to puddle, more than once, you'd have a big problem, so I doubt its oil)

If its water...its from the AC, which is normal. On humid days, the puddle can become farily large.

12. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements