AC cool, not cold
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home – General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: AC cool, not cold

crv|oc Rank: Freshman

AC cool, not cold

ok, my '97 ac is only blowing 50º to 60º. it has a sticker saying it was serviced back in february (doesn't mean much to me seeing the situation), and i have a hard time believing this is as good as it gets. the compressor cycles normal, but i have no way of checking pressures.

i'm a mechanic, but i'm AC illiterate. please help, i've got a 3200 mile trip to make next weekend in 115º heat.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

not sure how cold you want it. we took our 2007 V to vegas from anaheim, ca while the outside temp ranged from high 90's to 115 from riverside county all the way to vegas. with the A/C on normal (i.e. not MAX) i got so cold that i had to put on a sweater while driving.

you could always get the A/C checked for leaks and proper pressure. you can also buy a refill kit at the local parts store and DIY. good luck!

crv|oc Rank: Platinum
    You can also clean out your A/c and air ducting, when cars get older, more dust and stuff builds up in there. Also, you may want to have the A/c refrigerant flushed and vacuumed and refilled.

my plan is to put it in the shop this week to see how much it has in it. i've heard that 134 is sensitive enough that if you over-charge it a little it won't blow as cold. the problem is i don't have to wear a jacket, i want to take off my shirt (trust me, nobody wants to see that! ).

Quote Originally Posted by 73stallion View Post
    my plan is to put it in the shop this week to see how much it has in it. i've heard that 134 is sensitive enough that if you over-charge it a little it won't blow as cold. the problem is i don't have to wear a jacket, i want to take off my shirt (trust me, nobody wants to see that! ).
    you can buy the refill kit for about $30 at autozone with the necessary hoses, pressure gauges, and fittings to make it work. the idea is to attach the hoses to the A/C unit (can't screw up the hoses coz they only fit one way), which are attached to gauges, which are attached to the r-134 refill canister. the repair manual or the sticker under the hood will tell you how much pressure you'll need to fill up to........you're doing this while the car is running by the way. the A/C compressor will create a vacuum to suck in the refrigerant, and it will equalize the pressure on the input and output as the AC runs and refills at the same time. the longer it runs the more refrigerant is sucked in than is expelled....this is why you have to watch the gauges. keep it running and charging until the gauges reach the recommended pressure........once you hit the mark, the hoses are quick disconnects. turn the A/C and car off.....disconnect the rest of the hoses and you get to take it for a test drive. A/C charged, and your uncle bob can tag along for the trip and not miss his ZZZZZZs.

for my ten year old suzuki, the whole process took 45 minutes because i had to take the grill off. i think the V has all the connections easily accessible in the engine bay. good luck and enjoy your trip

crv|oc Rank: Member
    Before or after you do all that, replace your cabin filter. You have a 97, if its never been done before its prolly really dirty with leaves and junk.
    B18c1 VTEC Head, Air Intake; 8mm Wires; Rear Integra Strut Bar Prelude ('99)Rims Full Set, Mugen Valve Cover, Radiator Cap, Resevior socks, and Mugen Style Grill & Front Strut Bar; Custom Coilovers with a 4" drop, Apexi VAFC 2, Oil Catch Tank, JDM EG Side Markers, 99' Prelude Rims (5set Gunmetal)

crv|oc Rank: Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by typercrv View Post
    Before or after you do all that, replace your cabin filter. You have a 97, if its never been done before its prolly really dirty with leaves and junk.
    True, this could be a simple fix. If anything else you'll get better and cleaner air flow.

Also you may want to check TSBs and recalls for your CRV. Sometimes you can get the problem fixed for free. Honda fixed my 1995 Honda Accord AC under a recall for free, no questions asked.
    Last edited by EternalCRV; 08-10-2009 at 02:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by typercrv View Post
    i thought they didn't install cabin filters till about '05? i'll look for one. behind the glove box right?

*EDIT* found it, got it out and it's one of the worst i've seen. and i used to work at a honda dealer doing PM's..........
    Last edited by 73stallion; 08-11-2009 at 10:47 AM.

crv|oc Rank: Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 73stallion View Post
    i thought they didn't install cabin filters till about '05? i'll look for one. behind the glove box right?

*EDIT* found it, got it out and it's one of the worst i've seen. and i used to work at a honda dealer doing PM's..........
    Yea I should post pictures of mine. It was horrible. Spray some "smell good" in there too, lysol and what not. That by itself improved the airflow and temp of my AC. I had already added 134 the year prior to this clean up, so I didn't have to do it again.
    B18c1 VTEC Head, Air Intake; 8mm Wires; Rear Integra Strut Bar Prelude ('99)Rims Full Set, Mugen Valve Cover, Radiator Cap, Resevior socks, and Mugen Style Grill & Front Strut Bar; Custom Coilovers with a 4" drop, Apexi VAFC 2, Oil Catch Tank, JDM EG Side Markers, 99' Prelude Rims (5set Gunmetal)

well i can already feel the difference with the new filter! need to calibrate my meat thermometer to see how cold it really is.

12. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements