2002 CR-V hesitates at 1500 to 2000 rpm
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2002 CR-V hesitates at 1500 to 2000 rpm

crv|oc Rank: Member

2002 CR-V hesitates at 1500 to 2000 rpm

Hello everyone,

I have been looking all over the internet to figure out what is wrong with my 2002 CR-V. When I'm in 3rd or 4th gear accelerating slightly, my engine hesitates or shudders when it's between 1500 and 2000 rpm. If I let off the accelerator, it goes away and runs normally again. It only happens when the engine is warm and when I'm running on a flat surface or maybe a slight incline so not giving heavy gas. It never happens when the car is under a heavy load like climbing a hill or accelerating quickly. I just changed the 02 sensor because I've had an error code for that but it still shudders. The airfilter is clean, I just changed the spark plugs recently thinking that might be it but it still does it. Other then this small problem, the car runs fine. Anyone else have experience with this sort of problem? I'd appreciate any input you may have regarding this.

Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Sophomore
    Does your CRV have the electonic throttle ( drive by wire) or is your throttle cable hooked to the throttle body? I was thinking of TPS (throttle postion sensor ) might have a dead spot or poor contact as it is a variable resistor. The other thing I was thinking of was the transmission lockup going in and out.

Hey Bill,

Thanks for your reply. I'm not sure whether the throttle is cable or electronic. I have a scan gauge that gives me readings for the tps, so maybe that means it's electronic. Is there any way you can think of that I can use that to diagnose if that's the problem? When I say "hesitate" it's more of a stutter, the engine seems to be running fine but at certain throttle positions when I'm running between 1500 to 2000 rpms, with a slight acceleration, the car will sort of start thumping rather then run smoothly. If I let off the accelerator and then throttle it again, it goes away but sometimes reappears. It's only under those circumstances this happens, 1500 to 2000 rpm, slight acceleration. I checked the transmission fluid and the level is normal.

Sam

crv|oc Rank: Junior
    is your car automatic or manual?
    u mentioned 3rd/4th gear, so it's manual?

i'm wondering if maybe you're going too slow for the gear and try to give it gas so the car feels like stalling/hesitating? you know how when you drive a manual transmission car and you're too high a gear and you try to accelerate, nothing really happens and you have to shift down. could this be what you're experiencing?
    2007 LX 2wd - Royal Blue Pearl

the 2002 V is second gen? I know the first gens have dizzys which u could need a new rotor and cap and if it hesitates it is most likely the TPS. I have been on several honda forums and people say that this is the most probable cause for your complaint. My V does it too but mines a 98. I am going to switch out my TPS to see if that makes it better

Hi All,

Thanks for the input. It's an automatic. I have a scan gauge (http://www.scangauge.com/) so when I drove to work today I monitored the tps. When the car is at idle, it reads 9. So I tried to make the car shudder and when it did, it always happened when the tps was reading 18, 19, or 20, never higher never lower. I'm gonna go with Rich's diagnosis and try changing the tps sensor. It happens basically in every gear, whether i'm cruising down the street at 25 or 30mph, or on the freeway doing 55mph. The common occurence was that it only happened when the car was running around 1500 to 1800 rpm. Now I cross referenced it with the tps see the common denominator there so it makes total sense what Bill said. I'm gonna shop the part and change it myself. Online I see the part runs around $80. Anybody out there changed one before? What sort of time does it take to do it and how difficult is it. I've changed the front brake pads and also the oxygen sensor on my crv and the master cylinder on my wife's '96 Accord. I can't imagine it is that hard to do this. If anyone has experience with this, let me know. I appreciate everyone taking the time to give me their input on this. Mahalo!! Once I switch it out, I will post the results and if the diagnosis is correct, hopefully these posts help someone else out with a similar problem. Not to endorse scan gauge but in addition to telling me a lot of info on my car (mileage, water temp, rpm, tps, etc etc etc), it helped me diagnose my defective oxygen sensor and reset the warning light and now it let me monitor my tps for this problem. If you want an inexpensive sensor that gives you a lot of information, I recommend getting one.

a tps is real easy. It like 2 screws, u loosen those and pull it out and in with the new. Does your car maybe need a valve adjustment?

Thanks burton,

Like I said, the engine runs flawlessly except for this one little problem. It's actually more of an annoyance then anything. I don't think there is anything wrong with the valves, I change the oil regularly and drive it like an old man. I'm a second hand owner but bought it when it only had 17k miles on it. Good luck with your CR-V. I'll post after I change the tps to let you know if that fixed my problem.

You just have find the tps location - if not on the throttle body, it may be on the firewall. Just have to follow the throttle cable from the gas pedal. Our 2005CRV has the drive by wire electically operated throttle body. The gas pedal cable runs to the tps located on the firewall near the passenger side.

Thanks again Bill. I am buying the tps this afternoon from napa. I shopped checkers, autozone, redline automotive, nobody carried it. The last place I called was napa and they had one in stock. I've been leaving my scangauge on when I drive to show the tps reading and every single time it motor shudders, it's always reading 18, 19, or 20 tps. Good diagnosing on your part. If you ever make it to Hawaii I owe you a couple beers. I'll post one more time after I replace it and report if that was the fix. Have a nice weekend.

12. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements