Can radio run battery down?
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can radio run battery down?

crv|oc Rank: Member

Can radio run battery down?

Today while waiting for my wife at a mall I listened to the radio for about an hour. When I tried to start the car, the batter was dead. The car, a 2010 CR-V EX, is a month old and has 1,900 miles on it. The dealer said that running the radio for an hour will run the battery down, just like leaving the lights on. He said it was typical of Hondas. I've never heard of such a thing in all the cars I've owned. A radio draws far less current than headlights. Has anyone ever heard such a thing about Hondas or was the dealer just blowing me off?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by chasm View Post
    Today while waiting for my wife at a mall I listened to the radio for about an hour. When tried to start the car, the batter was dead. The car, a 2010 CR-V, is a month old and has 1,900 miles on it. The dealer said that running the radio for an hour will run the battery down, just like leaving the lights on. He said it was typical of Hondas. I've never heard of such a thing in all the cars I've owned. A radio draws far less current than headlights. Has anyone ever heard such a thing about Hondas or was the dealer just blowing me off?
    Yes it can happen but wether its normal for a stock radio to kill the battery in an hour I dont know. How loud were you listening to it?

Andrew

crv|oc Rank: Platinum
    generally it has to be about 1/2 volume or higher to drain it in an hour. I can't let mine run for more than 5 minutes, but I'm using a lot of power. It's possible though if the battery has already been drained once before, the more times it dies, the less it lives.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew'sCrazyCRV View Post
    Yes it can happen but wether its normal for a stock radio to kill the battery in an hour I dont know. How loud were you listening to it?

Andrew
    It wasn't loud at all. Quite soft, actually.

crv|oc Rank: Platinum
    has the battery ever died in the past?

Dead in one hour? Seems to me something else was helping the battery drain in addition to the oem radio. Perhaps the dealer should put it on a test to see if there is a short or a something bad in the charging system......or even a problem with the battery itself??
    everyone wants to be the stage coach driver until a wheel falls off!
    2009CR-V LX splash guards, fog lights, roof rack, aftermarket alloy wheels, cargo cover, gentex auto dim mirror with homelink, compass & temp. front grille chrome accents, Polished Stainless Steel Exhaust Finisher, Hella Dual Tone Horns. Parrot CK3100 BlueTooth Handsfree phone system. Converted to HD HI/LO Headlights.

hi,
    do you have anything else in the car that runs when the key is at the 1st click, i.e sat nav, dvd player with rear screens. i have both in mine and the batt wont last very long as all turn on when the key is at the 1st turn.
    Does your cr-v have these extras if so that may be why.

crv|oc Rank: Junior
    did u by any chance left your key at the START position (all dash lights on) instead of the ACC position? if yes and your parking brake was not set, then your DRL would have been ON the whole time while you were listening to the radio. also, did you have anything plugged into your cigarette lighter that's charging?

if it's the radio itself, this is not normal.
    i've sat in my car for long periods of time listening to the radio and my battery neved died on me. i've sat in the car over 1hr in some occasion listening to the radio in my crv and other cars, battery never dies
    Last edited by jeprox; 11-19-2009 at 01:22 PM.
    2007 LX 2wd - Royal Blue Pearl

Everything in Moderation Carbuff2's Avatar
    If you were tapping your left foot to the music, with your foot on the brake...
    Atwell "Buff" Haines
    '06 AWD CR-V, 5 speed MT!
    '07 Fit Sport, 5 speed MT!
    NJ

In theory, there is no difference between Theory and Practice. In practice, there is. - Yogi Berra

Quote Originally Posted by Carbuff2 View Post
    If you were tapping your left foot to the music, with your foot on the brake...
    HAHA Good stuff!

12. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements