Clutch problem
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clutch problem

crv|oc Rank: Member

Exclamation Clutch problem

Hi Guys:

This is my first post in the forum. I just bough a 1998 4WD MT V. This is really the vehicle I was dreaming about. Simple, economic and versatile!...
    The problem is that the clutch pedal sometimes is high and sometimes is as low as in the floor. When it goes to the floor I lift it my foot and it goes up nice and works. But suddenly it starts going down, a few pumps and it's nice again.

Yesterday I bleeded the fluid a little bit (like about 5 times) and it haven't gone to the floor but still looses a little bit of height... Can someone tell me what's wrong? Lots of Thanks and a Happy new year!
    Christian J. Mercado
    Camuy, Puerto Rico

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

MECP Audio Expert
    mine is kind of doing thesame thing. After I use the clutch, it doesnt respring allthe way back up, and I tap it with my toe to get it to the top resting space, but mine doesnt inch back to the floor like yours, it holds still. I havent had a chance to look at it yet. I'm assuming a worn spring on the clutch pedal maybe?

I've never had this issue with any of my honda's before. I'm sure it's something stupid like the spring.

crv|oc Rank: Junior
    Could it be the slave cylinder low on oil and or leaking? Hal

Quote Originally Posted by harold View Post
    Could it be the slave cylinder low on oil and or leaking? Hal
    Well... I checked the fluid and its full, but looks murky
    I'll drain it and tell you what happens....
    Christian J. Mercado
    Camuy, Puerto Rico

Relace your master slave cylinder and it will fit your problem. Same thing happen to mine but after I replaced with a new one problem solve.
    owned over 243 cars all import
    98 Honda crv 5spd lowered with mods for sale

crv|oc Rank: Freshman
    mercado.christian,

Your CR-V has what is referred to as a wet clutch, now that does not mean the clutch itself is wet, but that it uses hydraulics to engage and dis-engage the clutch. Sounds as if either your master cylinder or the slave cylinder is leaking (past the seal). The operation is basically equivalent to a brake master cylinder and a drum brake wheel cylinder, if you understand how these two parts work together then you can understand how the clutch hydraulic system works, if not have a mechanic fix it. Either way my advice would be before blindly replacing parts try to find out which the issue is with, clutch master or slave cylinder. If you had the factory service manual you would be able to follow the steps for fixing the issue yourself. Lots of luck, Russ.
    98 V 200K miles

MECP Audio Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by rberman999 View Post
    mercado.christian,

Your CR-V has what is referred to as a wet clutch, now that does not mean the clutch itself is wet, but that it uses hydraulics to engage and dis-engage the clutch. Sounds as if either your master cylinder or the slave cylinder is leaking (past the seal). The operation is basically equivalent to a brake master cylinder and a drum brake wheel cylinder, if you understand how these two parts work together then you can understand how the clutch hydraulic system works, if not have a mechanic fix it. Either way my advice would be before blindly replacing parts try to find out which the issue is with, clutch master or slave cylinder. If you had the factory service manual you would be able to follow the steps for fixing the issue yourself. Lots of luck, Russ.
    so what about my scenario?

crv|oc Rank: Freshman
    Hi illegal,

In looking at your issue I would say this, if a spring is worn enough that the tension in the spring does not bring the peddle back to the proper resting place then helping it along "should" not be capable of bringing the paddle back to the proper place. From a physics point of view when a spring wears one of two things happen, it either gets longer (stretched) from tension or it looses some of its tension (what I describing is really one in the same), if the spring has gotten longer but still had the tension to raise back to some in between resting place then that is what would happen, if the spring has lost some of its tension it could only bring the peddle back to a certain place and that is what should happen (you can see how it is one in the same). Your case sounds like it could be something interfering with the spring and when you use your foot you push the item out of the way, perhaps a floor mat or something the peddle returns to the proper place? I could see how a weak clutch master cylinder could act like this, I don't think a slave cylinder would though. Hope this helps, Russ.
    98 V 200K miles

MECP Audio Expert
    yeah, sounds like the beginnings of the clutch master cylinder going bad. I will def do thefluid first, just for the hell of it, then go from there. It's not bad yet, but I might as well start pricing a replacement.

If either the clutch master cylinder or the slave cylinder is leaking, you might want to consider replacing both even if only one is going out. They wear pretty evenly and only replacing one now will likely bring up the same issue not too far from now. Easy way to check if the clutch master cylinder is leaking is to look inside the cabin by the top of the clutch pedal assy. you can usually find some fluid there if it's worn.

12. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements