2005 Honda CR-V Spare Key
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2005 Honda CR-V Spare Key

crv|oc Rank: Member

Smile 2005 Honda CR-V Spare Key

Hi There...

I'm new here and to my CR-V, so please bear with me.

I recently purchased a 2005 Honda CR-V but was only given 1 key, with the keyless lock/unlock and trunk unlock. So, being new to the vehicle i went to the dealership and asked the price for a spare key. As most of you know, its so ridiculous it makes your jaw drop. So i hopped on ebay and found an exact match for my remote key for $25. I had it cut for $35 (theres only one place in my town that does it, the Honda dealership doesn't even do it)) and now need to program it(they wanted $40 at the locksmith to program it...i didn't want to do that).

I read about programming the key yourself but i have a few questions before I actually do it...

1) I've read that it (the online programming instructions) only programs the remote keyless functions but not the immobilizer. Do i have to go to the dealership to be able to use my new key to start the engine?

2) When programming the new remote key, what about the key in the ignition? Program mode erases the programming in all the remote that were associated before the program so I am thinking that i have to hit the lock button on the key in the ignition as well.

Thanks for the help!!!!!!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Member
    I think they'll program it for you even if you didn't buy it from them.If one dealership won't then just try Lombard Locksmith until you find one that works. Or you can just PM Teeps. He seems to know a lot of stuff.

crv|oc Rank: Freshman
    Well, when I lost one of my two keys...I bought a blank one off of ebay...about the same price you paid. Now this key was a genuine Honda key...not some cheap knock off. Why is this important...because I discovered that some locksmiths will not 'touch' them (especially the programming part) if they are not from OEM...something about liability issues or most of the aftermarket just don't work right.

Anyway, don't know about the locksmiths in your area, but in my area, a local reputable locksmith was able to cut the key and do both types of programming...all for $50

There are two types of programming...

1. Programming the keyless entry (lock/unlock/hatch open) to recognize the existing key and the new key and 'forget' the key that was lost...for security reasons. You can actually do this without any special tools or programmers from what I understand.

2. Programming the vehicle's immobilizer unit to recognize the existing key and new key and 'forget' any other keys...again for security reasons. Now, with this process, you do need a special programmer or software to perform. I believe this is service only done by an 'authorized' professional...either dealer or locksmith with the right equipment. I don't believe this is a DIY procedure...otherwise, it would be too easy for anyone to 'copy' your keys.

5. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread