Should I get the Valve job
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Should I get the Valve job

crv|oc Rank: Member

Should I get the Valve job

My 1999 CRV has 162,000 miles on it. While driving it two weeks ago the timing belt went. I had a recomended mechanic replace the belt (and water pump). now he tells me the #4 cylinder is losing compression. We were aware it is an "interferance" engine, and that this may have happened, but we were hoping for the best. The valve job, by 3 diferent quotes, will be around $1000. I was talking to the maintenece tec at the dealership when I brought my newer Accord in yesterday, and he said in his experience when you get the head worked on in a Honda and "tightened up" the head it causes the seals to go in the rest of the engine, and you end up replacing the whole engine. The mechanics that I know and trust are all general mechanics who work on what ever comes in, they can't speak to what the dealership guy said. Does any one have any experience with this problem? I can barely afford the $1500 it will cost me to do the belt and now the valve job. is the risk really that high of the rest of the seals going or was that just one mechanics fluke experience? That being said. Does anyone know a good place in the southeast I can sell it for parts if it comes down to it?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

MECP Audio Expert
    1. Your getting ripped off
    2. if your timing belt broke from being 60k miles late on being swapped, you prob also have a problem with the engine. if you have no compression in one cylinder....something has happened. You can get a replacement engine for less than a thousand, and just swap that in.

crv|oc Rank: Platinum
    If you have bad compression, mechanic should check the spark plug, then dig down to the head gasket, which is usually the problem during no compression (in serious cases).

A valve adjustement should cost no more than $120 regardless of what's broken. A belt should be around $300 parts and labor, unless the mechanic is inexperienced in FWD cars where the engine is sideways.

Like Illegal said, $1000 will get you a motor. I heard that in Japan they sell a lot of stock motors overseas because of some law where you're only allowed to have an engine for 60,000 miles or something, then you have to buy a new engine, so they sell the 60k mile one online. I don't know if that's true, but I do see a lot of JDM motors online for around $800-$1000. I don't know what the cost is running for that particular motor to swap. My 2002 in particular costs $2,200 for a 50k mile k24 with install. That's from a shop that does nothing but replace Honda engines.

If you have a bad cylinder head, you can always opt for a cylinder head from the Acura Integra. They're quite easier to find, much cheaper (depends on what model engine and mileage of course). They directly bolt-on with very minor mods if any.
    They're pretty much the same cylinder head.
    It's probably cheaper than doing a whole longblock swap, or having your cylinder head rebuilt.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    - 2000 Honda CRV SE, 86k original
    - 1992 Eagle Talon TSI AWD 5spd, 299whp, 275 ft-lb
    - 1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder AWD, 596whp, 520 ft-lb.

I'm confused on how a valve job would effect seals? The only seal that is exposed directly to the combustion chamber pressure is the head gasket and that will be new.

If the engine was so worn that the rings or piston pins were weak you could have a failure.

I guess if you had higher compression with worn rings you would have increased crankcase pressure, but that would only blow seals if you had restiction in the PCV system.
    2000 EX 5spd in Sebring metallic (US Spec model delivered in Germany)

1999 EX Auto in Black

www.hmotorsonline.com ..... Check out the motor mall and go to the B20, They have both versions of the B20 with low mileage from Japan..Very reputable company!!! Good Luck!!

MECP Audio Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by belairbrian View Post
    I'm confused on how a valve job would effect seals? .

valve guides and valve seat.

Quote Originally Posted by scout1976 View Post
    My 1999 CRV has 162,000 miles on it. While driving it two weeks ago the timing belt went. I had a recomended mechanic replace the belt (and water pump). now he tells me the #4 cylinder is losing compression. We were aware it is an "interferance" engine, and that this may have happened, but we were hoping for the best. The valve job, by 3 diferent quotes, will be around $1000. I was talking to the maintenece tec at the dealership when I brought my newer Accord in yesterday, and he said in his experience when you get the head worked on in a Honda and "tightened up" the head it causes the seals to go in the rest of the engine, and you end up replacing the whole engine. The mechanics that I know and trust are all general mechanics who work on what ever comes in, they can't speak to what the dealership guy said. Does any one have any experience with this problem? I can barely afford the $1500 it will cost me to do the belt and now the valve job. is the risk really that high of the rest of the seals going or was that just one mechanics fluke experience? That being said. Does anyone know a good place in the southeast I can sell it for parts if it comes down to it?
    Total malarkey.
    Doing a valve job on an otherwise good motor is no problem at all. I have done it many times on several different engines. I had exactly the same thing happen to me on an Accord. I did the valve job and drove that car for another 10 years. Any mechanic that tells you doing a valve job would put stress on the rest of the engine is so full of crap that I would NEVER go back there again.

10. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements