Horrible gas mileage on 2010 CR-V and steering issue
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Horrible gas mileage on 2010 CR-V and steering issue

crv|oc Rank: Member

Horrible gas mileage on 2010 CR-V and steering issue

I picked up my CR-V EX-L with Navi about 2 weeks ago and I am having two vexing issues:

I have about 300 mi on it driving around town in the suburbs. My gas mileage has been averaging a horrible 10 to 11.5 mpg! This figure is calculated based on miles driven from a full tank and amount of regular gas needed to fill up the tank as well as the electronic indicator on the dash. Is anyone else getting such awful gas mileage?

Also, as we had purchased a top of the line 2008 CR-V for our daughter (she has it around 2 yrs now), I've noticed that the steering on my 2010 CR-V is notably lighter and less sporty than hers. I like the handling on her 2008 CR-V better--its sportier and has more road feel. Did Honda change the steering or is it just my unit?
    Last edited by dr.eimer1; 02-11-2010 at 09:44 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

Can't comment on the steering, but you're correct - your gas mileage is horrible. My 2009 EX gets about 24 mpg to and from work. And that's in the winter!

al
    "Gettin' there is half the fun..."

Aurora, IL
    2009 EX 5AT
    Black Crystal

crv|oc Rank: Junior
    With temps dropping back into the low teens and single digits, I've seen my fuel economy drop to around 12mpg. I have been letting it idle quite a bit and I drive mostly short trips of 2-3 miles. But it is possible to get low mlieage in the right driving conditions.

A heavy foot in stop and go traffic could get the mileage dropping pretty quick in colder weather along with a lot of idling.

Now, if you hop on the open freeway and set the CC to 65 mph and don't see mileage in the mid 20's. Then you may have a problem.

As far as I know they didn't change the steering. Try comparing the tire pressures. The condition of the tires can also make a difference. Tires that are cupped a little soemtimes resist turning.

Honda did try and make the 2010 quieter, so its' possible they isolated the steering a little to reduce that complaint. But I can't believe they changed it that much.
    2009 Honda CR-V EX 4WD (Royal Blue)
    2008 Nissan Altima 2.5SL CVT (Silver)
    2007 BMW R1200RT (Blue)

Everything in Moderation Carbuff2's Avatar
    I'd bring the new car back to the dealer...insist they do the Idle Learn Procedure again. It's part of the PDI (pre delivery inspection).

This might buy you 1 - 2 MPG at most though.

++++++++++++++

Fill up the tank yourself and take a long drive (at least 250 miles). It will be a good opportunity to "bond" with your new Honda. Refill the tank and calculate the mileage the old fashioned way (divide miles between fillups by the gallons used).

Then report back on the MPG you record.
    Atwell "Buff" Haines
    '06 AWD CR-V, 5 speed MT!
    '07 Fit Sport, 5 speed MT!
    NJ

In theory, there is no difference between Theory and Practice. In practice, there is. - Yogi Berra

Gas mileage

Thanks. Will do.

/Bruce

crv|oc Rank: Junior
    Stupid question I suppose.... but have you checked the parking brake? Are the rear brakes supper hot after you stop?
    2009 Honda CR-V EX 4WD (Royal Blue)
    2008 Nissan Altima 2.5SL CVT (Silver)
    2007 BMW R1200RT (Blue)

Everything in Moderation Carbuff2's Avatar
    Regards the second part of the question:

You can't really compare the steering on two vehicles if one has new tires (like your '10)

It takes at least 1000 miles for the new tires to lose their mold release compound (like PAM on a frying pan) then break in so that the tires are not rolling on the little nubs from the molding process.

Alignment specs affect steering feel also. A few months down the road, if you are still not satisfied, have the dealer check the alignment. Ask if the specifications are different 08 to 10.

PS: for this problem. I would call the dealer and mention your dissatisfaction, and get their advice about what you intend to do. Otherwise they may claim that you hit a pothole or something....
    Atwell "Buff" Haines
    '06 AWD CR-V, 5 speed MT!
    '07 Fit Sport, 5 speed MT!
    NJ

In theory, there is no difference between Theory and Practice. In practice, there is. - Yogi Berra

Hi there,

I've got a new LX AWD last week. I've taken it for a 320-km trip with some hills (winter time, clear highway, no snow, AC on). Fuel economy was HORRIBLE ~12L/100 km as oppose to expected 7.5 L! Is it because it's brand new and I should wait until I put 800 km on it? Just for comparison, I went the same route on Malibu 2005 LX (V6, 3.5 L) and had 7-8 L/100 km.

Similar experience

Quote Originally Posted by Kvizor View Post
    Hi there,

I've got a new LX AWD last week. I've taken it for a 320-km trip with some hills (winter time, clear highway, no snow, AC on). Fuel economy was HORRIBLE ~12L/100 km as oppose to expected 7.5 L! Is it because it's brand new and I should wait until I put 800 km on it? Just for comparison, I went the same route on Malibu 2005 LX (V6, 3.5 L) and had 7-8 L/100 km.
    I traded a Saturn Aura with the 3.5 for a 2010 CRV LX 2WD. I've got about 6K miles on the CRV so far ( driving for business). The CRV just doesn't deliver the fuel economy the Aura 3.5 did. I'm averaging about 5 - 6 MPG less on trips so far.

Regards:
    Oldengineer

Unhappy Disappointing gas milage

I purchased my 2010 cr-v in march and i have noticed that i am spending more on gas than i did with the 2001 i used to own!! please help with any suggestions as to why this is happening...my driving habits are the same as before so i don't think is has anything to do with it. plz help!!

12. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements