How do I wire in an O2 sensor
NEWS
 

  1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home – General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

    Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!
     
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: How do I wire in an O2 sensor

  1. #1
    crv|oc Rank: Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    19

    How do I wire in an O2 sensor

    Before any smart alecs say just replace it and plug it right in, I´m not going to overpay for that wire harness. Truth be told that is what you are over paying for when you get the OEM direct replace. I am going universal. Has anyone else done this? Anyone got any pics, or tips on getting the wiring correct when going universal replacement?

  2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    crv|oc Rank: Freshman
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Anaheim, CA
    Posts
    154
    buy BOSCH. and read the instructions. and be prepared to bust some knuckles. and maybe need to buy those special sockets........definitely get some PB Blaster to loosen up the rust and corrosion.

    one thing i tried is to warm up the car so the pipes get hot..........spray some PB Blaster while the nuts & bolts are still VERY WARM. put some gloves on and start cranking..............this procedure helps when you have ten years of corrosion and rust.

    good luck!

  4. #3
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    3,248
    Quote Originally Posted by dhonnoll78 View Post
    Before any smart alecs say just replace it and plug it right in, I´m not going to overpay for that wire harness. Truth be told that is what you are over paying for when you get the OEM direct replace. I am going universal. Has anyone else done this? Anyone got any pics, or tips on getting the wiring correct when going universal replacement?

    What you are getting is a part with a warranty that will likely last 3 times longer if not more than a universal sensor. Honda's don't seem to like aftermarket sensors. I have seen more than a few people take the cheap way out for an O2 sensor on CRV's and Elements only to have to replace the sensor less than a year later.

  5. #4
    crv|oc Rank: Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    22
    x2

    There are certain electrical items that should always be OEM. IMO

    They are only $120 from fleabay.

    New 2004 CRV owner here and looking at the O2 sensors they must be the easiest to remove than other makes/models.

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzurd View Post
    What you are getting is a part with a warranty that will likely last 3 times longer if not more than a universal sensor. Honda's don't seem to like aftermarket sensors. I have seen more than a few people take the cheap way out for an O2 sensor on CRV's and Elements only to have to replace the sensor less than a year later.

  6. #5
    crv|oc Rank: Sophomore
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    260
    How much money are you saving going universal? I saw a Denso "exact fit" OE sensor for a 98 CR-V priced at $75.00 on amazon. Universals will be at least $50. Once you snip those wires there's no turning back.

    I'm just going to say it... universal sensor = bad idea. I'm not trying to grill you, I just think in this instance it's not mechanically or financially beneficial.

  7. #6
    MECP Audio Expert
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Northern Va.
    Posts
    2,079
    well everyone covered what I was going to say. Some parts you only buy from the dealer...this is one of them. (there arent many). Plus maybe you shouldnt be installing the universal on your own if you cant figure out the 4 wires yourself.

  8. #7
    crv|oc Rank: Silver
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    myrtle beach south carolina
    Posts
    2,714
    Quote Originally Posted by illegal View Post
    well everyone covered what I was going to say. Some parts you only buy from the dealer...this is one of them. (there arent many). Plus maybe you shouldnt be installing the universal on your own if you cant figure out the 4 wires yourself.
    i agree, they are just 4 color coded wire. spend the extra money and never have to replace it again.
    [FONT=Arial Narrow]
    [/FONTI drive a 1997 JEEP CHEROKEE
    lifted 8 inches on super swampers
    locked and geared

  9. #8
    MECP Audio Expert
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Northern Va.
    Posts
    2,079
    two of them are the same colour, so you just really have to hook up two wires. the others I would say are def self explanitory.

  10. #9
    crv|oc Rank: Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    27
    thud is spot on. I bought the Denso direct replace and plugged it right in. Much cheaper than OEM, but faster and easier than universal. I'm not a OEM parts no matter what kind of guy, but clipping wires is another story. once you start clipping wires you open yourself up for electrical gremlin issues down the road and there is nothing worse IMHO than trying to chase a phantom electrical problem.

  11. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements
     

Similar Threads

  1. What's This Wire Go To?
    By bake in forum Miscellaneous / General CR-V Discussions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-23-2011, 07:54 PM
  2. Hello The Wire!!
    By Lil Red V2 in forum Greetings & Introductions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-08-2010, 05:13 PM
  3. Which wire to tap for LOC?
    By chucnguyen in forum Mobile Electronics
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 12-14-2009, 04:38 PM
  4. Wire Tuck...
    By keep6 in forum Do-It-Yourself / Mods
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 05-07-2009, 12:05 PM
  5. need wire diagram
    By CR-V's Cousin in forum Do-It-Yourself / Mods
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-05-2008, 11:51 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.1.2