Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tutorial: installing LED interior lights (with pics)

138K views 64 replies 45 participants last post by  GeorgeRymerz 
#1 · (Edited)
I thought that the factory interior lights of my 2011 CR-V were too dim, so I changed the bulbs to LED's which output a brighter as well as whiter light. I replaced all four bulbs (2 for the map lights, 1 for the center dome light, 1 for the rear cargo light)...all four bulbs are identical. This tutorial is written for the 2007-2011 CR-V's.

I purchased the LED bulbs from V-LEDS based on recommendations I've read on various car forums. I bought the "5K" version (Part ID: 3175_4HP_W_5K) which emits "pure white" light. If you prefer, they also come in a "6K" version which emits light with a HID-like bluish tint.

EDIT (3/25/2012)...the bulbs mentioned above are no longer available from V-LEDS. Looks like they are replaced with these...
http://www.v-leds.com/Interior-LED-...LED/5K-WHITE-15W-3-LED-HIGH-p9619299-1-2.html
http://www.v-leds.com/Interior-LED-...LED/6K-WHITE-15W-3-LED-HIGH-p9619296-1-2.html

LED bulb (bottom); stock DE3175 filament bulb (top)...

The only tricky part of the mod is removing the clear lenses to access the bulbs. The most common way to do this is to use a small flat head screwdriver to pry the lenses off (see pics below as to exactly where to pry). Be careful to not scratch or gouge the plastic trim when prying off the lenses!!! Use masking tape to wrap the screwdriver and cover the lens trim to prevent this from happening.

Alternatively, I devised a method which would eliminate any possiblity for scratching/gouging the plastic trim. I used Scotch heavy-duty mounting tape to attach small plastic pieces to the lens (again, see pics below); you must use Scotch (3M) brand tape; cheaper tape likely won't stick as well. The plastic pieces were cable guides that I found in my toolbox...you can use anything that has a flat surface. Nonetheless, they function as "grab handles" which allows me to yank off the lenses (pull quickly). Once the lenses are off, remove the handles by TWISTING them off, then peel off the mounting tape.
I also used the suction cup mount from my portable GPS unit as a "grab handle" and it also works well in safely removing the lenses.

Map light...

Dome light (cargo light is same)...

Actual bulb replacement is simple "plug-and-play"...
Here is the stock map light bulb. Just pull it out by hand (it is clipped in)...

LED map light bulb installed. Careful not to touch the yellow dots on the bulbs (actual LED's). I angled the bulb slightly to the side...

LED dome light bulb installed (cargo light is the same)...

Side-by-side comparison of map light bulbs...

Stock dome light bulb...

With LED dome light bulb...

As you can see, the LED's are noticably brighter and produce a much whiter light. I'm pretty happy with the result.:)
Also, check out my LED license plate light mod.

See less See more
#10 ·
Any reason you did not do the rear hatch/trunk light?
Not sure what you mean by "hatch/trunk light." My 2011 does not have any lights on the interior side of the tailgate.

i think he did. he mentions the rear cargo light in the write-up, but doesn't show pictures of it, as it's very similar to the dome light.
Yeah, I changed the cargo light on the roof.

#13 ·
Thanks Kontai for the great advice/tutorial on the Led lighting upgrade. I ordered same leds from V-LEDS and installed all 4 in less than 10 minutes. I had one which did not light the first time and then remembered reading somewhere that if it did not light to take it out and rotate it 180 degrees, I guess for a polarity reason. The led light then quickly lit to full power. The new interior lighting makes a big difference especially when you unlock and open the door(s) at night!! And the white color really looks good with my gray interior.

#15 ·
Yeah, as with anything you can buy, cheaper alternatives can be found, especially on eBay. However, I personally question the quality of cheap LED's. From what I've read, LED's vary alot in light output, color, and longevity. I notice that alot of the eBay bulbs don't specify exactly what the color temp is. You could be getting a bulb that puts out light that is kind of yellow or bluish (not pure white) or they be just as dim like stock. Anyway, just speculating...for all I know, some may work just fine.:)

I personally went with V-LEDS because alot of people recommend them on various forums when I was Google searching what to LED's to buy. Lot's of people say they are the brightest LED's out there. Their customer service is supposed to be great also.

#26 · (Edited)
#28 ·
Put these in this weekend. Also have an 06 CRV that I'd like to put them in. The overhead and cargo area light appears to be the same as for the 07 but the map lights are different. According to a Honda parts site they are: 34401-S84-A01 BULB (T10 4CP) (12V 6.2W)
Anyone know a conversion for LEDs and a good source? Thanks

#29 ·
A word of caution

Hi guys, new to your forum but a longtime vet of vehicle forums. I've always been involved in modding my vehicles and found it quite enjoyable. I used Kontai69's helpful post to buy these interior lights from V-LEDs and also that of the rear plate light.

I did run into an issue that some people may find frustrating. My wife and I got rid of a 2009 Toyota Corolla XRS for this 2011 Honda CRV SE and we couldn't be happier. But, like any great thing, I wanted to make it better.

I wanted my map lights to come on with my dome light. In reading the manual, this is an option on the top line EX, as it shows a switch on the map lights. But being realistic, I wasn't going to buy an EX maplight assembly just for this convenience.

Instead, I ran a jumper wire from the dome light to the maps lights. Now I when I open my door, my maps lights come on with my dome light. If I want to check my maps I can turn on my map light and the dome light will remain off. Every light retains it's own independence, until the door is opened.

Everything worked perfectly from the time I performed this mod, but I wanted whiter, brighter light, so I purchased these bulbs from V-LEDS. The swap was a piece of cake, the leds even dimmed like a standard incandescent bulb. The problem came in the form of the keyless entry issues.

You could press the unlock button once and the driver's door would unlock,but press it twice or more and the vehicle would not respond. The doors would remain locked for about 30 seconds, after which it would still be difficult to get the entire vehicle unlocked. The only factor was these led bulbs. I swapped out the leds for the stock incandescents. Presto, the keyless entry was back to working flawlessly!

To test it again, I left the map lights incandescent and changed the dome light to led. The range was diminished, but the keyless entry worked. I then added the leds back to the map lights and the keyless entry was negatively affected again. I took out the dome light, no change. All interior led lights were taken out and the keyless entry was back to normal.

My theory is the circuitry for the led bulbs is interfering with our vehicle's ability to receive the remote key fob's radio signal. A google search did not turn up much, but there is proof that the circuitry does generate RFI signals.

At any rate, if you have an EX or if you modded your lights to come on like an EX like I did, bear this in mind.

#31 ·
Sorry to bump up an older thread, but I didnt want to start a whole new one.

VLED no longer sells the model of lights the OP bought and the LEDs I've gotten from other sites have a definite blueish HID tint to them, which doesnt really look all that nice. Has anyone found other sources for that pure-white 5000K lights that the OP found?

BTW this tutorial was great, it made installing those LEDs so easy; I just wish I could find some with that pure white look instead of the blue which looks odd on my black leather interior.

#32 ·
VLED no longer sells the model of lights the OP bought and the LEDs I've gotten from other sites have a definite blueish HID tint to them, which doesnt really look all that nice. Has anyone found other sources for that pure-white 5000K lights that the OP found?
That sucks. This thread probably brought them alot of sales of those 5K bulbs. I would contact V-LEDS and ask them what the deal is and what other bulbs they do have that is most similar to the "discontinued" one.

#33 ·
Interior LED Rec.

I may be the somewhat new guy here but I used/use the superbrightleds.com bulbs in my Touareg2 & now in my 2011 EX-L.

Zero issues w/ them in the Treg (5X) & now using 4 in my CRV, two map, 1 dome & 1 cargo light. A good company w/ good CS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.