Passenger Airbag off Indicator
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Passenger Airbag off Indicator

crv|oc Rank: Member

Passenger Airbag off Indicator

Can somebody please explain how this indicator is supposed to work. I read the manual but that's confused me further. I would expect it to come on if there's no passenger indicating that the weight sensor detect no passenger and hence deactivates the airbag. But my light just comes on during startup and then goes off irrespective of whether I have a passenger or not.

Pls help....

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Junior

Srs?

Quote Originally Posted by gandblah View Post
    Can somebody please explain how this indicator is supposed to work. I read the manual but that's confused me further. I would expect it to come on if there's no passenger indicating that the weight sensor detect no passenger and hence deactivates the airbag. But my light just comes on during startup and then goes off irrespective of whether I have a passenger or not.

Pls help....
    You are talking about the SRS indicator right?From what you say it is working properly.When you turn the ignition on it should light up I presume to show it is active and then go out regardless if someone is in the passenger seat.If the light stays on or comes on at any other time then it is telling you it is shut off.
    A foolish man speaks when he has nothing to say and a wise man listens when he has nothing to hear.

crv|oc Rank: Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by gandblah View Post

Pls help....
    Your system is probably fine. The passenger side air bag will turn OFF if the seat sensors detect the weight of a small child or child car seat (under approximately 65 pounds). It's a safety feature to prevent injuring small children in the event of an accident. This is the only time you should see the indicator lit while driving.

If no one is riding in the passenger seat, the passenger side air bag will be turned off but the indicator will NOT light (this is perhaps where the confusion comes from). The rest of the time (passengers over 65 pounds), the passenger side air bag will be ON and operate just like the driver's side bag.

Some members have noted that carrying objects like a lap top or heavy purse in the passenger seat will turn the indicator on (the system thinks it's a small child).
    Last edited by tsmithvt; 10-11-2008 at 08:17 AM. Reason: Added text.

crv|oc Rank: Silver

X2 With Smitty

It is a warning light, not a status light. The light comes on to warn you that the air bag will not activate because the weight in the seat is too light, such as a child. It won't warn you when no one is sitting in the seat, because you would not want the air bag to deploy with no one sitting there. It won't light with a normal weight adult in the seat, because the air bag will deploy.

You should be able to illuminate the light by placing an object on the seat that weighs 20 to 30 pounds.
    The Black Pearl . . . 2007 EX, 4WD, 5AT, Nighthawk Black Pearl

Being Irish he had an abiding sense of tragedy which sustained him through temporary periods of joy. W. B. Yeats

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." Bertrand Russell

crv|oc Rank: Member
    Thanks a lot guys....that clears it up for me !!

crv|oc Rank: Freshman

indicator weird behavior

My wife just told me that her indicator light is coming on "randomly." Clearly, it may not be random at all. She says that it may or may not come on if her purse (clearly not 20-30 lbs!!) is on the seat. Same with other items such as books, etc.

It never comes on if nothing is on the seat. As I mentioned, it comes on "randomly" if something is on the seat. I must say that it does not come on if an adult is in the seat - just smaller objects.

A search of the net came up with an entry in a honda SUV site that mentions that excessive heat from the heater blower messes up the sensor. We're doing some experiments to see if that could be it. Of course, the contributor goes on to say that Honda says it's "normal."

In the meantime, has anyone had issues with the light coming on "randomly" when light objects (not kids, etc) are placed on the seat?

tnx

Chris

crv|oc Rank: Freshman
    Mine also seems to go on/off randomly, when smallish things are on the seat, to include Brutus, my 3.5 kg dog.

crv|oc Rank: Sophomore
    My laptop will turn on the light as there is weight on the seat. But it doesn't just go on/off during the drive. I don't understand the "randomly" comments.

Empty seat: light comes on, then off at startup. Airbag disabled.

Adult in seat: light comes on, then off at startup. Airbag enabled.

Something in seat that isn't adult (child, books, laptop, etc.): light comes on and stays on at startup. Airbag disabled.

Anybody seeing something different?

crv|oc Rank: Silver

Leaning On The Seat

My wife uses her arm rest and always leaves it down. If I need something out of the glove compartment, I may lean on the seat or the armrest. It will turn the light on for some period. I never really measured it, but it doesn't go off immediately after taking the weight off the seat.

I at one time thought there was random behavior as well until I observed the fact of the light coming on and staying on for some period when I leaned against the seat. Even if it does come on randomly it is of no consequence if no one is sitting in the seat. It just means that the air bag is not going to deploy when no one is sitting in the seat. Although if the light is operating randomly with no weight on the seat, I believe it would be wise to get the seat checked out.

What you don't want to see happen is it coming on when an adult is sitting in the seat, or going off when a child is sitting in the seat. If that happens get the car off to the dealer ASAP for repair. Also If you see the light going off with a child sitting in the seat, I would immediately get the child in the back seat. You do not want the air bag deploying on a child!

What I am not sure of, is what happens if you have a child in the seat and you hit a dip or a bump in the road that temporarilly unloads the sensor (or worse yet, the sensor unloads during the vehicle dynamics immediately prior to a crash impact, or a rollover)? You still don't want that air bag to deploy. This may be the reason for my observation that the light does not go off immediately after I quit leaning on the seat. It is probably a programmed delay to ensure that the air bag will not deploy if the sensor is unloaded before an impact.

For those cases where the light appears to be coming on randomly with a light object on the seat like a book, it may be that the weight of the object is below the threshold of the sensor, but when hitting a bump the threshold is momentarily exceeded. If my thoughts of it remaining on for some period is accurate, a light object could be causing it to come on and go off apparently randomly. (In our fair Commonwealth of Pennsylvania with its state of the art, third world, 19th century quality roads, the light may come on and stay on continuously due to the relative frequency of bumps, pot holes, and endless construction induced pavement irregularities.) If there is any doubt in your mind of the safety of your seat, get it checked out!
    Last edited by Black Pearl; 03-08-2009 at 10:21 AM.
    The Black Pearl . . . 2007 EX, 4WD, 5AT, Nighthawk Black Pearl

Being Irish he had an abiding sense of tragedy which sustained him through temporary periods of joy. W. B. Yeats

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." Bertrand Russell

crv|oc Rank: Senior
    Maybe Honda but a switch on the Gen 3 so the driver can turn the passenger airbag on and off. SO guys don't get in a fight with your wives or girlfriends and let them drive. The last thing you need is for her to drive into a wall and you say, "well at least the airbags will keep me safe" and she would say, "not anymore" and turn off the airbag.
    Nothing is as cool as rollin' thru da hood with 122 cubic inches

12. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements