Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

New roof rack noise level

21K views 15 replies 13 participants last post by  osbornk 
#1 ·
Hi folks-

Newbie here with a 2011 CRV EX-L. My wife and I just installed new roof rack to our CRV. They are the OE Hondas we bought on line. Installing it was no problem. The problem is when you drive, it, there's a low whistling noise coming from the wind. I'm wondering if that's pretty standard with the rack.

Also wanted to know if there's a way to alleviate the problem by buying a wind deflector and installing it in front of the sun roof. Would that work?

Does anyone know of any other solution? My wife is already complaining, which means, we're going to have to take it off and mount it only when needed.

#3 ·
Two question for you.

1. What kind of box is that? How much was it?
2. Where did you get the sunroof deflector?

I have a sneaking suspicion that the 'howling' noise is coming from the holes underneath the bars. When I attached the bars to the side clip, I noticed there were 4 screws on each bar. They hold the bar to the clip. When I installed the bars, I couldn't get the bolt to go straight down so I had to remove a few of the screws. Then it worked fine but didn't put in the screws. Therefore there are holes underneath the bars.

Tomorrow, I'm going to cover it with electrical tape and see if that doesn't get rid of it. If it doesn't, the bars comes off. It's too annoying.

#6 ·
Don't know if anyone is still reading this, but the problem with the noise is coming from the rubber strip that runs the length of each crossbar. In the winter it didn't do it, because the rubber was cold and stiff. But with the hotter weather, that rubber is loosening up. When you get enough airspeed going into it (45mph or above for me), that strip lift up and the wind passes under it just like a reed on a musical instrument. I got some heavy duty outdoor tape (black to match the bar) and covered up the front edge of that strip on both bars. Noise went away! My wife will be very happy!

#7 ·
I had to take off the strips when installing my new bike attachment on my gen 3 V. That's what makes the whistling noise. Just turn up the radio and you won't notice at all (=

#8 ·
I ordered these last Monday and got them yesterday afternoon .
My local Honda dealer wanted $289.00 plus 12% or $323.68 . . OUCH.
Searched the internet and lowest I could find in USA was $186.00 plus 12% tax plus shipping for $223.00 . Still too much.
Finally found an after market set on ebay for $64.99 plus $15.00 shipping.

Put them on in my driveway last night and after a day of checking them out for strength and road noise I am completely satisfied .
But whoever said they can be installed in 15 minutes is from another planet . It took me two hours but it probably would have helped if they had included some instructions . . lol . .
This sure beats hooking up a trailer just for a kayak to go fishing.
I was surprised at the strength of them. I think I read they are rated for about 175 pounds and my kayak is only 45 pounds.

#15 ·
Aren't the cross bars adjustable fore/aft?
If they are, why not just move the forward bar back as far as it'll go so it's not right over your head when driving?
We had a stationwagon that had them and that's how I solved the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.