New roof rack noise level
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New roof rack noise level

crv|oc Rank: Member

New roof rack noise level

Hi folks-

Newbie here with a 2011 CRV EX-L. My wife and I just installed new roof rack to our CRV. They are the OE Hondas we bought on line. Installing it was no problem. The problem is when you drive, it, there's a low whistling noise coming from the wind. I'm wondering if that's pretty standard with the rack.

Also wanted to know if there's a way to alleviate the problem by buying a wind deflector and installing it in front of the sun roof. Would that work?

Does anyone know of any other solution? My wife is already complaining, which means, we're going to have to take it off and mount it only when needed.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Mrteeth View Post
    Hi folks-

Newbie here with a 2011 CRV EX-L. My wife and I just installed new roof rack to our CRV. They are the OE Hondas we bought on line. Installing it was no problem. The problem is when you drive, it, there's a low whistling noise coming from the wind. I'm wondering if that's pretty standard with the rack.

Also wanted to know if there's a way to alleviate the problem by buying a wind deflector and installing it in front of the sun roof. Would that work?

Does anyone know of any other solution? My wife is already complaining, which means, we're going to have to take it off and mount it only when needed.
    This is my rig and I installed the wind deflector at the same time I added the roof rack so cannot compare before and after. I can only say I do not notice any whistling noise (cargo box off of course).

Name:  CRV Rack.jpg
Views: 4503
Size:  90.6 KB
    2008 Whistler Silver Metallic 4WD EX-L
    2012 Mustang GT Premium Coupe Black 6 speed

Two question for you.

1. What kind of box is that? How much was it?
    2. Where did you get the sunroof deflector?

I have a sneaking suspicion that the 'howling' noise is coming from the holes underneath the bars. When I attached the bars to the side clip, I noticed there were 4 screws on each bar. They hold the bar to the clip. When I installed the bars, I couldn't get the bolt to go straight down so I had to remove a few of the screws. Then it worked fine but didn't put in the screws. Therefore there are holes underneath the bars.

Tomorrow, I'm going to cover it with electrical tape and see if that doesn't get rid of it. If it doesn't, the bars comes off. It's too annoying.

crv|oc Rank: Junior
    The sunroof wind deflector helps eliminate the whistling sound away from
    the roof rack. "Weathertech" sells them as well as HandA.
    I have them on my '07 CR-V.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrteeth View Post
    Two question for you.

1. What kind of box is that? How much was it?
    2. Where did you get the sunroof deflector?

I have a sneaking suspicion that the 'howling' noise is coming from the holes underneath the bars. When I attached the bars to the side clip, I noticed there were 4 screws on each bar. They hold the bar to the clip. When I installed the bars, I couldn't get the bolt to go straight down so I had to remove a few of the screws. Then it worked fine but didn't put in the screws. Therefore there are holes underneath the bars.

Tomorrow, I'm going to cover it with electrical tape and see if that doesn't get rid of it. If it doesn't, the bars comes off. It's too annoying.
    1. The Cargo Box is a Thule Sidekick # 682. I use it to carry my golf clubs when the wife over packs the CR-V. I think I last saw one for around $220 on Amazon. I like it because it is small.

http://www.thule.com/en/US/Products/...0Sidekick.aspx

2. Deflector is eBay item
    2008 Whistler Silver Metallic 4WD EX-L
    2012 Mustang GT Premium Coupe Black 6 speed

Don't know if anyone is still reading this, but the problem with the noise is coming from the rubber strip that runs the length of each crossbar. In the winter it didn't do it, because the rubber was cold and stiff. But with the hotter weather, that rubber is loosening up. When you get enough airspeed going into it (45mph or above for me), that strip lift up and the wind passes under it just like a reed on a musical instrument. I got some heavy duty outdoor tape (black to match the bar) and covered up the front edge of that strip on both bars. Noise went away! My wife will be very happy!

I had to take off the strips when installing my new bike attachment on my gen 3 V. That's what makes the whistling noise. Just turn up the radio and you won't notice at all (=

crv|oc Rank: Freshman
    I ordered these last Monday and got them yesterday afternoon .
    My local Honda dealer wanted $289.00 plus 12% or $323.68 . . OUCH.
    Searched the internet and lowest I could find in USA was $186.00 plus 12% tax plus shipping for $223.00 . Still too much.
    Finally found an after market set on ebay for $64.99 plus $15.00 shipping.

Put them on in my driveway last night and after a day of checking them out for strength and road noise I am completely satisfied .
    But whoever said they can be installed in 15 minutes is from another planet . It took me two hours but it probably would have helped if they had included some instructions . . lol . .
    This sure beats hooking up a trailer just for a kayak to go fishing.
    I was surprised at the strength of them. I think I read they are rated for about 175 pounds and my kayak is only 45 pounds.

Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Get a deflector for the sunroof as it will work as a fairing

Quote Originally Posted by michigan_driver View Post
    Get a deflector for the sunroof as it will work as a fairing
    No sunroof on my V
    Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

12. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements