Driver side exterior mirror 2012
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Driver side exterior mirror 2012

crv|oc Rank: Member

Driver side exterior mirror 2012

We just picked up a new 2012 CR-V AWD and would like to know if this is something all 2012 CR-V have. The car we took the test drive had a line/crack/split down the drivers side mirror, and our new one has this also. Does anyone else have this line in the mirror or do we need to go back to the dealer and ask them to fix it? I looked at all the information for the 2012 and can't find anything about this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

Super Moderator
    Honda calls this an Expanded View Driver's Mirror. Its a built in feature in the mirror.

No you don't have to go back to the dealer, it's not a crack. That line is a expanded view mirror. Much like what you would see on most trucks or van mirror to get a wider view. It seem some what useless to me because the area pass the line is so small. But I do like the idea of adding it. It would be nice to just have the feature the Pilot has. When in reverse the mirrors face down...Love our week old EX-L AWD with navigation!

Some people are so special.

The "Crack" you see is actually a wide angle section of the mirror. The outer section is wide angle in lieu of a Blind spot monitoring option, so that you can view cars that are hard to see when shoulder checking. The inner section of the mirror is regular flat glass. The passenger side mirror is all wide angle hence the "images in mirror are closer than they appear" phrase.

crv|oc Rank: Sophomore
    The sad part really is that there is any need for a blind spot mirror at all. People in general have atrophied in the knowledge of just how to use mirrors properly. I'll grant you that there are cars that have HUGE C pillars and do create a problem as far as blind spots go. It all comes down to proper mirror placement.... If folks would learn how to adjust the mirrors correctly; blind spots would be far less of a concern. My wife has a 12 Crosstour which does have some bad blind spots. She was complaining that she was not able to see and it made lane changes difficult. She asked me to install the aftermarket stick on blind spot mirrors. I took her out to the Crosstour and taught her how to adjust the mirrors. Correct mirror placement is as follows:

Drivers Side:
    Adjust the mirror as far to the left as possible so that only a slight lean would allow you to see the rear quarter panel.

Passenger Side:
    Adjust as far to the right as possible so that a slight lean to the right would allow rear quarter panel viewing.

Once my Wife did this; she told me a day or so later how much easier it was to see around her. No need for blind spot mirrors just adjust them correctly. There is no reason (or benefit) for people looking at the rear quarter panels of the car as the blind spot is located farther forward. Adjusting the mirrors like I've stated; allows a much greater viewing angle and you can see the car in your "blind spot" the second you lose sight of them in your rear view mirror. Personally; I find the Honda Blind spot mirror to be more distracting than anything.

The mirrors you are all discussing are stock items both drivers side and pass in Europe on all vehicles. I have a set on my VW. We very rarely get all those goodies they have across the pond. Trying myself to locate the pass. side mirror and replace it with the same.

9. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements