Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

2013 CRV - Door scratch estimate opinion - pics & estimate included

5K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  brewerkz 
#1 ·
Hello CRV owners,

I recently had a scratch/dent in my CRV's backdoor. I've attached the pics of dent. From Honda website body shop locator, I chose a nearby body shop and they came back with an estimate of 2500. I am including the breakdown of that amount as well as attachment. I feel it is way too high. Could someone comment on the cost of this service?

Thanks

Vehicle Car Tire Alloy wheel Automotive tire
Text Font Line Document
Text Font Line Document Paper
Vehicle Car Tire Door handle Automotive tire
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Crossover suv
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Crossover suv Honda

See less See more
#4 ·
OP, you don't mention where you're located (I'm assuming US just based on the shop rates) and price will vary dependent on that. I know where I am, that would be considered 'cheap' - I wish we had $50/hr labor rates here.

Body damage that isn't quite bad enough to warrant replacing parts will result in labor times being higher, but likely still more cost effective than new parts. Not quite the same, but to give you an idea, my summer toy (2000 Civic SiR) was hit in a parking lot by a kid that had a passenger that thought it would be a good idea to throw his door open as they were coming into the stall next to where I had parked. Took off the mirror and did some pretty good damage to the fender and door. The only parts that were replaced were the mirror because it wasn't repairable and the fender because it was cheaper than the hours it would've taken to refinish. Those two parts totaled around $500, and I don't recall what materials costs were, but the total bill was close to $3800 (I think the total labor time was over 35 hours). And that was at the discounted 'insurance' rate that all the shops here are obliged to charge when dealing with an insurance company.

Any damage along body lines is also not the time to cheap out on a fix, because you'll probably be able to see that you got what you paid for afterwards in the way of body lines that don't look quite right, waviness in the panels, etc. For peace of mind, take it for a few more estimates, but compare them carefully. As mentioned above, some shops will reduce costs by not removing panels, not blending and basically cutting corners wherever they can in the hopes you'll go with them because they're the cheapest. Most shops are probably using Mitchell or Audatex, so the times quoted should be the same no matter where you go. The difference will be in the shop rate and what tasks they feel are necessary to complete the repair.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.