Snow buildup behind wheels
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Snow buildup behind wheels

crv|oc Rank: Member

Snow buildup behind wheels

It's been a messy winter so far - and snow/ice is continually building up behind my tires. You can hear it scrape when I make a turn. I had this problem on a previous vehicle - it went away when I attached mud flaps. Will that work on my CRV?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

My experience as been that you'll always have snow buildup with or with out mudflaps.

crv|oc Rank: Sophomore
    I haven't tried it yet but you can apply silicone spray to the mudflaps and that might keep snow and ice from building up.

crv|oc Rank: Junior
    I still have build-up behind the wheel. It does scrape somestimes. All vehciles I've owned have had the problem. I can't think of one being worse than the other. I'd say the CR-V is a little better because the wheel-well is a little larger.

The mudflaps will still help keep larger rocks and heavier dirt and mud form hitting the side of the car. That's protects the paint. Although due ot the shap of the bodywork, the large tires on the CR-V, and relatiely small fender overhangs, it still throws a lot of water and muck on the side of the car. When you hit large puddles, some of the water hits the windshield.

The reality is that all cars will build-up snow/ice inside the fender wells because snow will tend to stick to a surface, then snow sticks to snow on that surface and it will continue to build-up when temepratures are at or below freezing. the only solution woudl be to have inflatable rubber mugards and fender liners ot breka off the snow, or to have electric heaters to melt off the ice.

It doesn't affect vehicle operation, so I'd just ignore it. Its' not like you doing figure 8's or drive in circles all day long.
    2009 Honda CR-V EX 4WD (Royal Blue)
    2008 Nissan Altima 2.5SL CVT (Silver)
    2007 BMW R1200RT (Blue)

crv|oc Rank: Freshman
    I have an 06 EX and found that there is much more build up (snow/mud) when I have the OEM mudflaps on. Now, that I've removed them, the side of the fender - behind the wheel well gets dirtier, but there is much less build up.
    I start to get a little concerned and safety conscious when the build up is so great that it is nearly touches the tire, so I figured I'd allow more room for excess mud/snow to leave teh well
    Regards,

Harvey - 2006 CRV EX 5spd M/T: SOLD 8/18/11

The snow build up never gets to the wheel because it can't form to the tire if the tire is moving. A tire is alot tougher than a chunk of snow even if it did dislodge from the vehicle and defy gravity and ride the wheel up into the wheelwell vs. fall to the ground.

Large rocks in wheelwells while off-roading, rare but has happened (not in a cr-v); chunks of snow in wheelwells while driving, never heard of a case.

And the mudflaps are to keep dirt and rocks off the side of the vehicle and actually promote snow build up as there is more surface area...

NO WORRIES.

I think the mud flaps helped in my previous vehicle because they're flexible and would periodically bend and sluff off the whole ice chunk (including the part attached to the rigid wheel well).

Quote Originally Posted by outdoorsy74 View Post
    The snow build up never gets to the wheel because it can't form to the tire if the tire is moving. A tire is alot tougher than a chunk of snow even if it did dislodge from the vehicle and defy gravity and ride the wheel up into the wheelwell vs. fall to the ground.

Large rocks in wheelwells while off-roading, rare but has happened (not in a cr-v); chunks of snow in wheelwells while driving, never heard of a case.

And the mudflaps are to keep dirt and rocks off the side of the vehicle and actually promote snow build up as there is more surface area...

NO WORRIES.
    It won't reach the wheels while going straight but it can build up to the extent that there is interference when you turn the wheels. And yes you can end up with a chunk in the wheel well. The snow builds up and then you hit a pothole dislodging a lump of frozen snow. I spent 12 year in upstate New York with an average snowfall of 12 feet per year.

I just started driving the Toyota 4x4 and had plenty of clearance.

Now it's not an issue hear in Alabama.
    2000 EX 5spd in Sebring metallic (US Spec model delivered in Germany)

1999 EX Auto in Black

snow buildup

Quote Originally Posted by divediva View Post
    It's been a messy winter so far - and snow/ice is continually building up behind my tires. You can hear it scrape when I make a turn. I had this problem on a previous vehicle - it went away when I attached mud flaps. Will that work on my CRV?
    Here are some winter pics of my vehicle
    Attached Images Attached Images    

crv|oc Rank: Freshman

Snow touches tire.

So a hunk of snow or ice touches a tire. [B]BFD![B] I don't understand the big concern. I've been driving for 50 years in all types of terain and weather and have never heard of a problem caused from such. A big rock, maybe.
    Gary B.
    2008 CR-V Whistler Silver EX-L AWD 5AT Nav

12. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements