AWD driveshaft universal joint
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: AWD driveshaft universal joint

crv|oc Rank: Member

AWD driveshaft universal joint

Hello I'm new to this forum so hope you can help me here!

I have a 1998 AWD CRV with 142,000 mi. Its the best car I ever had! (Fiat, BMW, ACCORD, Prelude, Ford, etc....)

Well today I took it the an oil change and noticed that the front universal joint on the driveshaft has some play. I've been noticing some vibration while driving and though it would be a balancing issue on the tires. I read on the manual that the whole assy should be replaced.

Also learned that some mechanics install these joints. Have any of you done this before? Please advice!

Carlos

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

Everything in Moderation Carbuff2's Avatar
    It's been done DIY, and there are write-ups on it, but replacing those joints is tricky, since they are staked, not clipped, in. The shaft needs to be balanced after service, too.

Most cost-effective action IMO is to remove the driveshaft yourself (being careful to support the center bearing!) and bring it to a driveline or 4X4 shop for professional repair. You can drive the V without the shaft while this is being done.
    Atwell "Buff" Haines
    '06 AWD CR-V, 5 speed MT!
    '07 Fit Sport, 5 speed MT!
    NJ

In theory, there is no difference between Theory and Practice. In practice, there is. - Yogi Berra

crv|oc Rank: Member

U-joint yoke

Hi all, I bought some u-joints from Rockford Drive Line, but when my mechanic removed the propeller shaft to replace them, he found that the yoke was severely worn. I have been searching for a new yoke without any luck. I'm trying to avoid buying the whole propeller shaft. Can anyone advise me? Where can I find a yoke?

5. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements