07 CRV How to do tune up help
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 07 CRV How to do tune up help

crv|oc Rank: Member

07 CRV How to do tune up help

I looked all over the forum and I didn't find any information on doing tune ups so here is the thread and I hope people can add to it.

My 07 CRV is at 43,200 miles and I wanna do a tune up for it...any one that has done the tune up, please post info about your experience and any tips on doing it. thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Freshman
    When you say "tune up" are you talking about just changing the spark plugs? Is there a reason you are wanting to tune up your V with 43k miles? Just wondering what you are planning on doing and your reasons.
    2010 CR-V EX-L Navi 4wd - Taffeta White - 35% front window tint - All season mats - Cargo tray - OEM foglights - Front splash guards - Engine cover upgrade
    2002 CR-V EX 4wd - Satin Silver Metallic - 20% front window tint - Cargo tray - OEM foglights - Front splash guards
    2007 Acura MDX Tech/Ent. - Nimbus Gray - 20% front window tint - All season mats - Cargo tray

tune up

im in the same boat. I just bought a 45k mile 2007 CRV AWD from dealer. They told me i would get 22mpg city 27 hiway. i'm getting more like 16 to 17 mpg. Thinking/hoping minor tuneup (plugs/air filter) would help. Any other idea's.
    Thanks, Bryan

just treating the baby right

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeezone25 View Post
    When you say "tune up" are you talking about just changing the spark plugs? Is there a reason you are wanting to tune up your V with 43k miles? Just wondering what you are planning on doing and your reasons.
    just felt it was time to do the tune up, and yes to just changing the spark plugs. Is there a certain mileage to do a tune up? My car will be 3 yrs old next month. For some reason I had the number 30k miles in mind for tuneups. I have been doing the following maintenance on my car:

- oil change when the maintenance minder comes on which is about every 7k miles
    - rotate tires each oil change
    - Cabin and Engine Filter once a yr
    - a bottle of chevron fuel injector cleaner @ each oil change
    - Diff fluid change every 15k miles (Honda says 30k or maintenance minder but some people on forum have heard noises before the 30k mark)
    - Gonna start tranny fluid change sometime this week of a drain and fill every 15k (in my case I will be doing a drain and fill each oil change til I get to 60k because I started the tranny fluid change late. From a thread on this forum and advice from BlackPearl, doing a drain and fill every 15k would be very similar to doing a 3x drain and fill @ 60k.)

Quote Originally Posted by bclark59 View Post
    im in the same boat. I just bought a 45k mile 2007 CRV AWD from dealer. They told me i would get 22mpg city 27 hiway. i'm getting more like 16 to 17 mpg. Thinking/hoping minor tuneup (plugs/air filter) would help. Any other idea's.
    Thanks, Bryan
    welcome to the forum

If i were you, I would quickly get oil change, chevron fuel cleaner bottle, engine and cabin filter. I noticed these 4 items help put some mpg back into my car. I was getting 19 mpg the past month but once I got those 4 things done, I'm at 21 mpg now. Then of course do a diff fluid change because its an easy way to avoid an expensive repair bill. Also check your tire's treads, my car is 07 as well and at 30k, the tires were near bald.

crv|oc Rank: Freshman
    Sounds like you are doing a great job maintaining your V. I suppose a plug change won't hurt. I don't think it's required until 100,000 plus miles. That's what they say at least. Anything new and clean should make a difference.
    2010 CR-V EX-L Navi 4wd - Taffeta White - 35% front window tint - All season mats - Cargo tray - OEM foglights - Front splash guards - Engine cover upgrade
    2002 CR-V EX 4wd - Satin Silver Metallic - 20% front window tint - Cargo tray - OEM foglights - Front splash guards
    2007 Acura MDX Tech/Ent. - Nimbus Gray - 20% front window tint - All season mats - Cargo tray

crv|oc Rank: Senior
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyman42 View Post
    - Gonna start tranny fluid change sometime this week of a drain and fill every 15k (in my case I will be doing a drain and fill each oil change til I get to 60k because I started the tranny fluid change late. From a thread on this forum and advice from BlackPearl, doing a drain and fill every 15k would be very similar to doing a 3x drain and fill @ 60k.)

You may want to do a 3x drain and fill to "start" off with and then do a 1x drain and fill every 15k. I'm the one who started doing the 15k 1x drain and fills from the get go so BlackPearl was referring to me.

crv|oc Rank: Silver

The Problem With a Tune-up...

What are going to tune? Other than changing plugs and filters, and adding the injector cleaner, there ain't much to do. There is no distributor, rotor, or plug wires to fool with. There is no way, I know of, to check the timing with out the dealer HDS system. A tune up sounds great, but I am just not sure there is a hell of lot to do. You could check your valve clearances, but I would recommend being knowledgeable in that regard.

The spark plugs have individual coils on top. I have no experience with this but I would recommend caution. Of course, we gen 3 owners have no idea when the 4 subcode will magically appear but according to the 06 severe maintenance schedule it is 110K miles. My worry with changing the spark plugs is the individual ignition coils. How easy are they to damage, how difficult are they to remove and reinstall? I have nothing against premature maintenance, just be sure you understand what you are getting into. Don't forget, the spark plugs are threaded into an aluminum head. The book says to apply a small amount of anti-seize compound to the threads on the spark plugs, and to torque them to 13 foot pounds for a 2007. The new gap is 0.039 to 0.043 inches.

Indeed it was Badgerland who was changing the fluid every 15 K. My tribologist buddy at work agreed it was a far better plan than changing 4X at 60K. Alas my buddy retired so I am left to my own tribological ends!

Below is an image of the plug, and plug coil. Coils are $64.00 dealer, $46 internet plus there appears to be a seal in there also. Check out:

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...PLUG+HOLE+COIL

Image Credit: Majestic Honda Parts.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Black Pearl; 04-06-2010 at 05:52 PM.
    The Black Pearl . . . 2007 EX, 4WD, 5AT, Nighthawk Black Pearl

Being Irish he had an abiding sense of tragedy which sustained him through temporary periods of joy. W. B. Yeats

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." Bertrand Russell

crv|oc Rank: Junior
    I thought a "tune up" was just something dealers came up with to rip you off, at 43k you should look at changing the air filter maybe diff fluid other than that I don't know fuel economy always suffers from short in town rides. I don't drive the long highway routes anymore so most of my drives are less than 5 miles and in towns and cities my MPG per tank is crap part of this is due to winter fuel but mostly it is because I am sitting at lights then having to accelerate from those lights and then stopping at other ones. 43K isn't that much again engine and cabin filter should be replaced if they haven't already I would put in a bottle of chevron I don't know about spark plugs though seems way too low mileage for those things to go.

Everything in Moderation Carbuff2's Avatar
    On bclark's "new" 45K car, I'd replace the brake fluid (should be done every 3 years regardless of miles) plus and maintenance you don't have records of. (In other words, don't ASSUME anything). Psyman42's car is well maintained, so just the brake fluid for him.

The trans fluid was TOTALLY fresh when the car was assembled, so at the 40K mark a single drain and fill should be OK. That's the regimen I'm following with the 99 Acura with good results.
    Atwell "Buff" Haines
    '06 AWD CR-V, 5 speed MT!
    '07 Fit Sport, 5 speed MT!
    NJ

In theory, there is no difference between Theory and Practice. In practice, there is. - Yogi Berra

12. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements