Brake Fluid Flush Questions...
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brake Fluid Flush Questions...

crv|oc Rank: Member

Brake Fluid Flush Questions...

We're at 86K mi now on our 2005 CR-V. Suspect that the brake fluid has never been flushed. The plan is to spend a morning next week to flush.

For those of you that have done this before-

How much fluid did you go through for a complete flush?

Is there are an alternate order to flushing the lines?

(I understand that the standard procedure is to start at the wheel furthest away from the master cylinder, and work your way to the wheel closest to the master cylinder.)

This is not so for all Hondas. The official service manual for our S2K specifies something else entirely.

Anyone know if this is the case for the CR-V?

Thanks!
    2005 Honda CR-V EX
    2007 Honda S2000
    2003 Honda Quadra-Cut Mower

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

there doesn't seem to be a standard sequence anymore... that pertains to all vehicles. It's more like vehicle specific.
    CRV starts at front left caliper (driver front for LHD) and proceeds clockwise. May have something to do with the location of the ABS unit.
    "Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads." -- Dr Emmett Brown, BTTF
    2006 EX M5 - 49.5K miles -- Homelink, Curt Hitch, OEM trailer harness, Mud Flaps, Yakima Roof Rack, Glove Box switch extension - TSB04-064, wheelskins (Brn), Magellan 4040.
    2007 Gl Blue EX - 36.2K miles - Mats, Cargo Tray, Remote Start, Garmin 260, Yakima Roof Rack, wheelskins (Blk)

Thank You. That's the way the bleed/flush sequence is on the S2K also.
    2005 Honda CR-V EX
    2007 Honda S2000

crv|oc Rank: Freshman
    I have an '06 and just bled the brakes a month or so ago for the first time. Had 49k and 3 1/2 yrs on the old fluid. Put a 2x4 behind the brake pedal and had my wife press down while I opened the bleeder. I closed the bleeder before I told her to release the pedal. The sequence for my LHD vehicle was FL/FR/RR/RL as stated in the manual. Did each line until there were no more bubbles and the color was almost clear. Used less than the 2 12oz. bottles of Honda brake fluid I had on hand. The only problem I had was getting leakage at the bleed screws until i tightened them more than the prescribed 7lbs. torque. Like 06whtcrv said, go clockwise and make sure to keep adding fluid to the reservoir.
    Last edited by bennj2; 05-01-2010 at 07:12 PM.

Much appreciation for the info.

The 2x4 behind the brake pedal was to keep the master cylinder from getting into the secondary circuit?

Thanks!
    2005 Honda CR-V EX
    2007 Honda S2000

I've done it before on my 02 CRV. I have a Mighty-vac vacuum pump that comes with various sized hoses. I put the hose on the bleeder screw and cracked it open after putting it under a vacuum. The vacuum pump removed the fluid and I kept filling the reservoir so as to avoid letting air into the system. One large sized brake fluid was enough. Not sure of the size of the container but they usually only sell a small and a large container on the shelf at the auto parts stores.

crv|oc Rank: Freshman
    Zen,
    The 2x4 kept the pedal from going to the floor, which I understand can push sediment into the master cylinder and chew up the seal.

brake fluid

should this be done with the engine on or off?

crv|oc Rank: Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by jefferson View Post
    should this be done with the engine on or off?
    OFF. You don't want the vacuum assit or the ABS system operating.

I beleive not pushing the mster cylinder too far mostly has ot do with protecting hte seals. The piston normally only travels a short distance, so the cylinders walls are honed accordinlgy If you push past that honed area, the seals which have swollen slightly to accomidate the wear can get damaged whne they move across the less used section.

I frequently replaced fluid and bled the brakes on my previous motorcycle because it was used a lot on the racetrack and ridden hard which cooked even the best high temp DOT 4 fluid in short order. Slowing from over 100mph 3 times every 90 seconds over a 20 minute track session tends to do this. I had to rebuild the master cylinder after just 2 years mostly likely due to this.
    2009 Honda CR-V EX 4WD (Royal Blue)
    2008 Nissan Altima 2.5SL CVT (Silver)
    2007 BMW R1200RT (Blue)

Quote Originally Posted by zen_some View Post
    Thank You. That's the way the bleed/flush sequence is on the S2K also.
    Great info on this thread. I plan on bleeding the brakes on my 2002 CR-V once I pick it up this week.
    BTW, I had a 2002 S2K. Sold it due to being laid off... saddest day of my life

12. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements