Changing the Thermostat on 1998 CRV...
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Changing the Thermostat on 1998 CRV...

crv|oc Rank: Member

Question Changing the Thermostat on 1998 CRV...

So, I got everything dismantled up to the point of the thermostat housing (I cannot get this off) on my CRV. I have a leak where the thermostat housing meets the engine - therefore I was planning on changing the thermostat and thermostat gasket with some new sealer.. BUT I cannot get the damned thermostat housing off the engine. There are TWO nuts 9mm that are at a very odd angle, and I cannot reach them with my ratchet. Wrench won't fit either - there's just not enough clearance. There are several wires/hoses in the way... cannot be moved.. Any suggestions?

The black arrows on the service manual page indicate the nuts I am having issues with..
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

So before posting a new thread, I thought i research and see if there was any tutorial on replacing a thermostat on the first gen CRV and i found nothing. I'm surprised with over 2,794 views on this thread, there hasn't been a write up on how to do this procedure or perhaps I'm just not looking hard enough to find the right answer. I'd figure if this procedure was this difficult, why hasn't anyone done a walk-through on it yet?

Anyway, I know this was written back in June 2010 but I'm having the same issue also with '98 CRV-LX. It doesn't look like anyone has an answer to this member's question since then. Can anybody shed us some light on this please? How is it done?

Thanks
    Last edited by B20-CRV; 02-22-2012 at 06:15 PM.

crv|oc Rank: Freshman
    I have no idea what you're up against. But I've got to believe some combination of tools should be able to reach those bolts. Wrench can't fit due to clearance and odd angle for ratchet? hmmm...

Universal joints? Swivel sockets? Wobble extensions? Crows foot wrenches?

Let us know what works for you.

I realize this thread is old, but I changed my t-stat on my 98 CRV tonight. The rubber seal had broken down and it was over cooling. The t-stat was dated 1997, so not too bad.

The bolts the OP had the trouble with are 10mm bolts. I will grant you they are at an odd angle, but my 10mm ratcheting box wrench (gearwrench type) worked perfectly and fit in the space fine. I did remove the large rubber connector between the throttle body and air filter. I cleaned the throttle body while the coolant drained. Maybe a 30 minute job. Pretty easy, but you've got to get a wrench in there that will fit. You could go with a box wrench or open ended wrench, but it will take you longer. I did not remove the lower radiator hose from the t-stat cover, but I suppose you could to give yourself a little more access. The clamp on mine was at an angle that it kept me from getting a ratchet on the top one.

I know this is an older thread, but as I just finished changing out the thermostat on my 98 crv I thought I would add my experience to the story. I have benefited a lot from other people's posts,

1) Turn the heater control knob all the way to hot so the heater core will drain too.

2) On a cold engine, remove the radiator cap and loosen the radiator drain plug which is located toward the bottom of the rad. Good idea to have a large oil pan or bucket underneath to catch all the coolant.

3) Remove the large air tube that goes between the air box and the throttle body so you have room to work. Simple to do, just loosen the hose clamps and carefully disconnect the plastic wire connector that sits on top of the throttle body. The picture shows after.
    Name:  20130722143034.jpg
Views: 12231
Size:  59.7 KB

4) Remove the lower radiator hose from the thermostat cover. Just follow the hose from the radiator, loosen the clamp, and pull off. Simple.

5) Remove two 10mm bolts from the thermostat cover. This was a little awkward to be sure, but I was able to do it with a box wrench. The picture shows the thermostat housing/cover after I removed the lower hose and two bolts.
    Name:  20130722150331.jpg
Views: 11198
Size:  38.8 KB

6) Pull back the cover to reveal the thermostat itself. I used a rubber mallet to gently tap the cover off. I couldn't seem to get the wire clip (radiator fan switch) to detach so I just laid the cover, still attached, to one side.
    Name:  20130722150401.jpg
Views: 9199
Size:  33.6 KB

7) Pull or pry out the old thermostat. I used a screwdriver as mine was stuck in there pretty good. Also, a whole bunch more coolant poured out when I did this, so maybe move your catch container below ahead of time.

8) Install your new thermostat. Mine came with a new rubber gasket. Make sure you put the new gasket and thermostat back in the correct orientation, with the little pin at the top (see picture for reference).

9) Reattach the thermostat cover, lower radiator hose, air tube and any wire clips as they were before. Also don't forget to re-tighten that radiator drain plug at some point!

10) Refill the overflow reservoir and radiator with coolant. I caved and bought genuine Honda stuff from the dealership. Once full, start the engine and let it idle with the cap off to purge any air from the system. The manual says to let the fan come on at least twice and then top off as needed before putting the rad cap back on. To be honest, this part takes as long as the rest. I made sure the heater was on hot, ran the engine up to 2,500rpm, and I let the fan come on several times before finally calling it quits.
    Name:  20130722170405.jpg
Views: 8714
Size:  40.7 KB

NB - It's a good idea to have two bottles of coolant on hand before you begin. I got most of the way through refilling the cooling system before I discovered that one bottle was not enough. I also recommend a no-spill funnel to make 'burping' the air out of the system really easy. I got one delivered from Amazon for $30.

Hope my experience helps. Heck, if I can do it, anyone can!
    Last edited by tombornot; 07-23-2013 at 01:23 AM. Reason: Attachments and last sentence

crv|oc Rank: Sophomore
    Good post, Tom. I'm sure someone will find it helpful in the future if, for no other reason, they are looking for advice on how to refill the radiator, a subject that came up recently.

I also noticed this was your first post, so you deserve a good star for that too.

That how-to post with photos is a gem. Thanks for going above and beyond to share your knowledge.

I just signed up no this site, because I am about to replace my thermostat on 98 CRV. Thanks so much for this post and the pictures!!

crv|oc Rank: Senior
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubrexk View Post
    I just signed up no this site, because I am about to replace my thermostat on 98 CRV. Thanks so much for this post and the pictures!!
    It is important to use a OE type thermostat with the jiggle pin and that it is oriented properly.

CRV Thermostat

Quote Originally Posted by 13CRVEXLKC View Post
    It is important to use a OE type thermostat with the jiggle pin and that it is oriented properly.
    Thanks! Just successfully installed this afternoon. Photos, description, and advice are much appreciated!!

12. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements