2010 CRV timing belt or timing chain??
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home – General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2010 CRV timing belt or timing chain??

crv|oc Rank: Member

Question 2010 CRV timing belt or timing chain??

This is just a general question, does the 2010 CRV have a timing belt or a timing chain. I don’t see anything in the owner’s manual that says it has to be changed at a certain millage and I was just wondering if that is true.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Freshman
    Your car has a timing chain.

I kind of thought so but I wasn’t sure.

Thanks, something less to worry about!!!!!

FYI timing chains do stretch and may eventually need to be replaced. They have a longer service life than timing belts, but just because it's a chain doesn't mean that it never needs to be adjusted and/or checked periodically for stretch.
    Last edited by i64X; 10-18-2010 at 09:45 AM.

crv|oc Rank: Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by i64X View Post
    FYI timing chains do stretch and may eventually need to be replaced. They have a longer service life than timing belts, but just because it's a chain doesn't mean that it never needs to be adjusted and/or checked periodically for stretch.
    Links don't stretch. Chains wear and need replacement when they are beyond a serviceable limit. What happens is the bearing surfaces of the pins connecting the links wear and the resulting increase in clearance causes the effective length of the chain under tension to increase.
    Last edited by Gravy; 10-19-2010 at 11:47 PM. Reason: Syntax

Quote Originally Posted by Gravy View Post
    Chains don't stretch. They wear and need replacement when they are beyond a serviceable limit. What happens is the bearing surfaces of the pins connecting the links wear and the resulting increase in clearance causes the effective length of the chain under tension to increase.
    Timing chains most certainly do stretch.

Saying chain stretch doesn't exist is 100% uninformed. Here's a dealer training video for the Lancer Evolution X (my other car) that describes chain stretch and how they check it on that engine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JX6Z3hSF7hQ

The K series engine has a similar cam and chain setup. In addition to chain stretch, there's also a chain tensioner, which can also wear and fail and need replacement - just as with any other mechanical part.

Please don't come on a public forum and give bad advice. Someone in the future may find your post and think that just because they have a chain versus a belt that they're impervious to the maintenance that goes along with any engine timing.

crv|oc Rank: Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by i64X View Post
    Timing chains most certainly do stretch.

Saying chain stretch doesn't exist is 100% uninformed. Here's a dealer training video for the Lancer Evolution X (my other car) that describes chain stretch and how they check it on that engine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JX6Z3hSF7hQ

The K series engine has a similar cam and chain setup. In addition to chain stretch, there's also a chain tensioner, which can also wear and fail and need replacement - just as with any other mechanical part.

Please don't come on a public forum and give bad advice. Someone in the future may find your post and think that just because they have a chain versus a belt that they're impervious to the maintenance that goes along with any engine timing.
    There is no need to get all bent out of shape. I meant to say links don't stretch. I was making a statement. I did not compare chains to belts or give any advise. Anybody reading what I said could see I contradicted myself. Did you not read the part directly after the part that so offends you where I described wear and increase in length? Is that not chain stretch? I am sorry for the sloppy editing while correcting my spelling and not reading what I wrote at least three times to make sure it was exactly as I intended. I replaced Chains with Links in the first sentence and They with Chains in the second. Hope it makes sense to you now.

Links don't stretch. Chains wear and need replacement when they are beyond a serviceable limit. What happens is the bearing surfaces of the pins connecting the links wear and the resulting increase in clearance causes the effective length of the chain under tension to increase.

I wasn't really getting bent out of shape... I just don't want this guy to read the first reply in the thread, say "oh ok, thanks!" and then read your reply and go off thinking that his timing chain is going to last forever and that he doesn't have to ever do anything with it.

Long story short to the OP - yes, your timing chain does need checking and maintenance.

Splitting hairs here with regards to stretch/wear whatever. The facts are the timing belt will cause almost total destruction of the integrated engine if it breaks while the engine is running. Timing chains will wear/stretch and cause the engine valve timing to go out and this will usually result in very poor engine performance and will eventually need to be changed. The gears will also wear and cause the chain to jump over the sprocket segments/ teeth resulting no start and possible engine damage. I have seen this happen but usually while the engine was starting or stopping.

11. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements