front rotor removal problems
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: front rotor removal problems

crv|oc Rank: Member

front rotor removal problems

okay, i own a crv 2006, i have had no problems changing the rear rotors. I am trying to change the front rotor, i got to removing the two screws, rotor moves out a little, but seems to be stuck around the hub, should i have to press it out, or remove the big bolt in the middle. can anuone help
    thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Sophomore
    Big bolt in middle holds hub on axle. Leave it alone, unless you really want to have something to do.

If you have a rubber mallet or lead shot mallet, tap & rotate rotor from behind until it's loose. Since you're replacing it anyway, try spraying some WD-40 or other lubricant where rotor meets hub. Wipe all lubricant off of hub assembly before installing new rotors.

I have used pb blaster, and used a rubber hammer, and even a hammer, still will not come ou. I even used bolts, but i was worry to strip the treads. so i stopped, why is it so hard too remove?

crv|oc Rank: Junior
    For tough jobs like that, I've seen some shops use
    a hydraulic pulley. Go check it out at your local shop.

I think the pully will press too much on the hub, i'll try again with wd-40, and i will post pictures.
    It could be the rust from the harsh winters.

Okay I just did the fronts last night. The inside of the rotor hat rusts and the build up binds it to the hub. Since I was replacing the rotors I grabbed a big fing hammer hit the rotor on the edge all the way around hard you need to dislodge and break up the rust. Beat the piss out of it! then start working around the rotor from the back side if it gets stuck hit the front until it wiggles again and start the prosses all over until you can work the rotor free. 1 rotor took almost 10mins to work free just keep at it they will come off.

okay, just to make sure. I took pictures. did it look like this. i took a picture before, and after, i hit it with a hammer and was only able to get it near the neck, because i was worried i would ruin the hub. i try again but this time i hit harder.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by antfrank; 09-12-2010 at 06:48 PM.

Everything in Moderation Carbuff2's Avatar
    Have you tried threading 8 x 1.25 (I think) bolts into the threaded holes? (Not the countersunk rotor retaining screw holes, the other ones)

Then you turn each screw a half turn at a time (to assure it is coming out straight) until the rotor pops off.

If you think the center hub rust is holding the rotor in, file or sand it down a little with the rotor as in pic 1.
    Atwell "Buff" Haines
    '06 AWD CR-V, 5 speed MT!
    '07 Fit Sport, 5 speed MT!
    NJ

In theory, there is no difference between Theory and Practice. In practice, there is. - Yogi Berra

crv|oc Rank: Sophomore
    Go buy a propane torch, heat the crap out of the hub area and then take a deadblow hammer/mallet to the outside portion of the rotor. You get leverage that way and you are replacing the rotor anyway so don't worry about hurting anything.

If this fails then go get yourself a big puller and go to town. I've had rotors that were so stuck that the puller actually cracked/broke the rotor 2 or 3 times before I got the damn thing to come off.
    2002 Honda CR-V EX
    2001 Honda CR-V LX
    1995 Ford Cobra SVT

11. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements