Change Coolant in 2004 CRV-EX
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Change Coolant in 2004 CRV-EX

crv|oc Rank: Member

Change Coolant in 2004 CRV-EX

I don't know where the block drain is, or how hard it is to get to. Can I just drain the radiator and refill it with a 50/50 mixture of antifreeze and distilled water? Then repeat the procedure in a week?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

Everything in Moderation Carbuff2's Avatar
    Sure.

Honda knows you can't drain the entire system. Like the automatic trans, there is always a percentage "old" fluid in the system.

So, Honda recommends you replace the coolant more often (I think 3 years instead of six, must look it up) after the first change.
    Atwell "Buff" Haines
    '06 AWD CR-V, 5 speed MT!
    '07 Fit Sport, 5 speed MT!
    NJ

The Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by turney5 View Post
    I don't know where the block drain is, or how hard it is to get to. Can I just drain the radiator and refill it with a 50/50 mixture of antifreeze and distilled water? Then repeat the procedure in a week?
    The drain plug on the engine block is in the back near the oil filter. Here's a good picture of it here, though keep in mind the inset picture is upside-down: http://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/pubs/AI/AII30552.pdf

I just did a coolant exchange on an '03. Honda's recommended procedure is to drain the rad and the block, though I have to admit, it doesn't thrill me since there's going to be more air in the system, and it's going to take more time to purge it. I think you're better off doing a couple of drain/fill cycles, or using a venturi/vacuum pump such as this one: http://www.uview.com/ProductDetail.p...tNumber=550000

I have the snap-on version of that tool (radkitplus), purchased on fleabay for $20.00. Call me paranoid, but it drains and fills the system in a vacuum, avoiding any air trapped in the system. My other car (Ford) requires its use, which is why I have it around. Some other manufacturers recommend/require it's use as well (Subaru and some others). Works great on the V as well.

If you do decide to drain the block, make sure your fan goes on through a few cycles while topping up the coolant.

Changing Coolant

Honda stresses that only genuine Honda coolant be used, as anything else can damage the cooling system. Is that just Honda pushing their coolant, or can I use a 50/50 mixture of Prestone?

Thanks,

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by turney5 View Post
    Honda stresses that only genuine Honda coolant be used, as anything else can damage the cooling system. Is that just Honda pushing their coolant, or can I use a 50/50 mixture of Prestone?

Thanks,

Steve
    Assuming that you currently have the blue coolant, I wouldn't use a generic coolant. You should really use a coolant that is silicate-free. If you can find Peak Global Life, that works great. Otherwise, get the stuff at the dealer.

If your coolant isn't blue, then that's a different story.

7. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements