Brake Service cost??
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brake Service cost??

Brake Service cost??

So glad I found this forum! I have a 2007 CRV-EX AWD. I took it in this morning for a B1 service. The dealer just called me and said that I need new front and rear brakes...2mm left in front, and 3mm left in back (I'm not quite sure what this means...). Anyway, they said it'll be $600 for the brakes on top of the $230 for the B1 service.

Now, this is my first new car and I'm still new to dealing with dealership mechanics/ service. But this price seems kind of high to me. I've called my regular mechanic who serviced all my other cars but he hasn't gotten back to me. In the meantime, does the price from the dealer seem fair?

Thanks for your help!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Sophomore
    The 2mm/3mm is the amount of brake pad remaining. It is a measure of thickness.

The $600 seems high (although I don't know the exchange rate today) for just pads.

Perhaps the dealer wants to "turn the rotors" which involves using a lathe to smooth the surface of the brake rotor. All rotors get small groves in them as they work. Small groves aren't a big deal but large groves can cause premature wear and vibration.

Ask them exactly what the $600 involves. Just new brake pads? or some service on the rotors? And if so, why do they think the rotors need resurfacing?

crv|oc Rank: Member
    I'm sorry, but it looks like you're getting ripped off on both B1 and the brake service.

B1 is the regular oil/filter change and a tire rotation plus some inspections Should be done under $100.

Brake pads for both front and rear would cost $100-150 plus about an hour of work, so another $100 for labor.

If your car does not shake when you apply brakes, then it means the rotors are fine and they most likely do not need to be resurfaced. If they do, sometimes it would make sense to simply replace them as the replacement may cost even less than the resurfacing.

With 2007 CR-V you probably need to do the brake fluid change if you have not done it before as it is supposed to be done every 3 years.

really i would not have a dealership anything to my car unless completely necessay ie. new tranny or engine under warranty. You should find a certified mechanic that is not associated with the dealer.

a brake job should have 4 new rotors 99 a piece oem.
    OEM pads 50 for fronts and 50 for backs and 2 hours labor around 90 bucks an hour.
    That would be a close estimate. add tax for your state.
    anyhow i dont know what a B1 service is but it probably has a lot of bull.

Thats why i do all that myself a couple of bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by atomb View Post
    really i would not have a dealership anything to my car unless completely necessay ie. new tranny or engine under warranty. You should find a certified mechanic that is not associated with the dealer.

a brake job should have 4 new rotors 99 a piece oem.
    OEM pads 50 for fronts and 50 for backs and 2 hours labor around 90 bucks an hour.
    That would be a close estimate. add tax for your state.
    anyhow i dont know what a B1 service is but it probably has a lot of bull.

Thats why i do all that myself a couple of bucks.
    Hi Atomb,
    I felt the need to comment because I don't agree with some of your statements and want to help the lady...

In regards to needing to replace all the rotors, the answer is it depends. As stated above, if they are in good shape, no major groves, not warped (front brakes don't shimmy when braked hard- as feel on the brake pedal) then they don't need to be replaced. And, if they do need work, depending on who you are working with, it may or may not be cheaper to turn them rather than replacement them (especially if you use Honda rotors).

List price for Honda brake pads are $72.40 front, $56.29 rear at dealer. (price a discount Honda places can be had for $54. front, $42 rear).

Good luck with your work and yes, the Honda Manual does say to replace the brake fluid every three years with Honda brake fluid ( $4.97 list, $3.88 at Honda discount place for a 12 oz bottle)

glad you were here to save the day
    Last edited by atomb; 10-17-2010 at 07:16 PM. Reason: not worth replying to gday

Hab

B1 Break Service

Can anyone explain, in detail perhaps, what exactly the B1 break service is comprised of ?.... I thought we only needed to change the break pads (and eventually the disks/rotors) when they are close to wearing out..... I'm wondering if this is really necessary, considering the cost of the B1 inspection, which seems to be an overhyped oil change and "visual" inspection... Appreciate any feedback.. Thx

crv|oc Rank: Freshman
    Quote Originally Posted by Hab View Post
    Can anyone explain, in detail perhaps, what exactly the B1 break service is comprised of ?.... I thought we only needed to change the break pads (and eventually the disks/rotors) when they are close to wearing out..... I'm wondering if this is really necessary, considering the cost of the B1 inspection, which seems to be an overhyped oil change and "visual" inspection... Appreciate any feedback.. Thx
    There is no brake service associated with the B1 code other than a simple inspection. The original poster went in for the B1 code and upon inspection the dealer told her she needed new brakes...pads?, rotors?, etc...who knows.

My dealer (who I already don't trust) said the brake guide pins need to be lubricated every year. Is this really required? Does it require disassembly of all four brakes or can it be done with just wheel removal?

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by scubadown View Post
    My dealer (who I already don't trust) said the brake guide pins need to be lubricated every year. Is this really required? Does it require disassembly of all four brakes or can it be done with just wheel removal?
    A brake service should be done yearly to prevent the pins and pads from seizing up. This will require the calipers to be removed from the mounting brackets.

12. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements