When to Replace Timing Belt/Chain
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When to Replace Timing Belt/Chain

crv|oc Rank: Member

When to Replace Timing Belt/Chain

Hi There,
    I just purchased a 2006 CRV and I am having difficulty finding out:
    a) Does it have a timing belt or a timing chain?
    b) When does Honda say it should be replaced?

Thanks so much for your help. Very impressed by this vehicle. It is my third Honda...I've sold two Accords over 250K that still ran as new! Very excited to have another Honda in the family!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Sophomore
    Chain.

No recommended preventive maintenance interval for replacement.

When the chain becomes stretched, you'll end up with a check engine light with DTC p0341. If you perform timely oil changes, it'll go a good long time trouble free.
    mook /muk/
    noun: Slang. An insignificant, contemptible, or incompetent person.

"Ah, women. They make the highs higher and the lows more frequent."
    Friedrich Nietzsche
    Motorcycle Riding in West By God Virginia

http://www.elementownersclub.com/for...postcount=3415

I appreciate the response. I have been all over the manual and couldn't find anything...which is weird.

Quote Originally Posted by jbear View Post
    I appreciate the response. I have been all over the manual and couldn't find anything...which is weird.
    How so? The manual doesn't list lots of items that don't have periodic maintenance.

I does, but unless I am missing it...which I very well may be...there isn't ONE WORD about the timing chain. It isn't even in the index. I found that strange. Of course after a day of car buying...I may be just a tad unfocused. I will look again tomorrow when I'm a bit more clear-headed.

It won't be in the owner's manual because there is absolutely 0 reason for it to be there. The only thing that adding info about the timing chain would do is confuse 90% of buyers who know absolute squat about anything mechanical.

Now if you bought the HELMS maintenance manual or have access to Honda's digital tech data you'll find it right away including step by step on how to change it if you ever had to (you won't unless you ever have to rebuild the motor).
    2002 Honda CR-V EX
    2001 Honda CR-V LX
    1995 Ford Cobra SVT

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Some Mook View Post
    Chain.

No recommended preventive maintenance interval for replacement.

When the chain becomes stretched, you'll end up with a check engine light with DTC p0341. If you perform timely oil changes, it'll go a good long time trouble free.
    I just wanted to say thank you. Your posts are some of the MOST helpful on the forum. Really appreciate it.

Honda CRV 2002-2006 has a timing belt and not a timing chain. Replace at 105K miles. Replace water pump and all drive belts along with timing belt. Be sure to have the harmonic dampener boot checked out, replace if beginning to show wear/wobble. Cost of parts and labor is as follows:
    Code:
    3 drive belts: $68  (alternator, powersteering, and A/C compressor belts)
    water pump:    $83
    Timing belt:   $69
    Antifreeze:    $20
    ----------  -------
    parts total:   $240
    Labor: 4hrs    $320  (4 hrs * 80 $/hr = 320)
    ----------   -------
    Total Cost     $560

crv|oc Rank: Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by blackCRV View Post
    Honda CRV 2002-2006 has a timing belt and not a timing chain. Replace at 105K miles. Replace water pump and all drive belts along with timing belt. Be sure to have the harmonic dampener boot checked out, replace if beginning to show wear/wobble. Cost of parts and labor is as follows:
    NO, 2002-2006 is Generation 2/2.5. These Vs all use the K24A1 engine. This engine, as noted in the posts above, does use a TIMING CHAIN. Also as stated above, the chain is presumed to be good for the life of the engine and, therefore, it has no maintenance interval. It is not a line item in the maintenance schedule.

Chains are a cost cutting measure. Less maintenance sure but they are not systems independent. A belt can operate independent of some engine failures while a chain can not. I prefer the belt because it is "tougher" when using a systems independent definition of toughness.

12. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements