Changing Engine Coolant
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Changing Engine Coolant

crv|oc Rank: Member

Changing Engine Coolant

Hi All,

My 2008 CR-V EX 2 WD has now 45,000 miles and the engine coolant needs to be changed.

What is the best way do do this.

Any good advise is appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Sophomore
    The maintenance minder displayed the sub-code for coolant replacement already? At 3 yrs / 45k miles?

No location and the word "diesel" in the user name.... What engine is in your vehicle?
    Last edited by Some Mook; 02-12-2011 at 10:53 AM.
    mook /muk/
    noun: Slang. An insignificant, contemptible, or incompetent person.

"Ah, women. They make the highs higher and the lows more frequent."
    Friedrich Nietzsche
    Motorcycle Riding in West By God Virginia

http://www.elementownersclub.com/for...postcount=3415

Hi Mook,

My CR-V is the US Gasoline model, Diesel not available here, but I like Diesel in a vehicle.

M.M. does it have a subcode for Coolant change? But owners manual has it at 45,000 miles.

Now, what needs to be done to change it with only Honda Coolant Fluid???

Yes, the MM has a sub-code for replacement of the engine coolant. See the Maintenance Minder information section of your owner's manual.

Typically the first coolant replacement interval would be at 7 years or around 105,000 miles, then 5 years / 60,000 miles there after.

I am unsure of what area in your 2008 Owner's manual indicates the 45k coolant replacement interval....

Used engine coolant is considered hazardous waste in some localities, so if you decide to change it yourself, you might want to check your local regulations for disposal.

Honda Type 2 anti-freeze/coolant would be recommended.

You should avoid HOAT (Hybrid Organic Acid Technology) or OAT (Organic Acid Technology) formulations with Honda engines, and make sure that what you use is a non-silicate, non-borate formulation if you want to use something other than Honda Type 2. Type 2 requires no mixing with water. If you choose to use a brand that requires the addition of water, use of distilled water is recommended (distilled, not purified, or spring water, etc...)
    mook /muk/

Friedrich Nietzsche

Hi Mook,

I know all of the above, but it does not answer my original quetion.

What is the best way to change the engine coolant? How to do it in practice and correct.

Perhaps some one else like to help me out.

Thank's in advance.

Super Moderator
    Don't take this the wrong way Dieselfreundbut step one is to get your hands on the factory service manual. Why do i say this? We can't make assumptions about your level of knowledge or techincal abilities. Changing coolant is one of those things you want to make sure you follow step by step.

Hi Lizzurd,

Thank you for the advise, but I thought a few step by step points would be of help. I do all oil and filter changes, transmission fluid drain and fill, air filter and cabin filter changes and other simple maintenance items, of course only with the correct original Honda fluids myself. Except for motor oil I use Mobil 1 - 5W-20 synthetic oil.
    So, what are the step by step procedures for changing the coolant fluid? I do not want to spend the $$$ for the Factory Service Manual.

Again, thanks all for any help.

Coolant Replacement
    1.Start the engine. Set the heater temperature control dial to maximum heat, then turn off the ignition switch. Make sure the engine and radiator are cool to the touch.
    2.Remove the radiator cap.
    3.Loosen the drain plug, and drain the coolant.
    4.After the coolant has drained, tighten the radiator drain plug.
    5.Remove the coolant reservoir, and drain the coolant, then reinstall the coolant reservoir.
    6.Fill the coolant reservoir to the MAX mark with Honda Long Life Antifreeze/Coolant Type 2 (P/N OL999-9001).
    7.Pour Honda Long Life Antifreeze/Coolant Type 2 (P/N OL999-9001) into the radiator up to the base of the filler neck.

NOTE:
    Always use Honda Long Life Antifreeze/Coolant Type 2 (P/N OL999-9001). Using a non-Honda coolant can result in corrosion, causing the cooling system to malfunction or fail.
    Honda Long Life Antifreeze/Coolant Type 2 is a mixture of 50 % antifreeze and 50 % water. Do not add water.

Engine Coolant Capacities (Including the coolant reservoir capacity of 0.6 L (0.16 US gal))
    At Coolant Change:
    5.0 L (1.32 US gal)
    After Engine Overhaul:
    7.1 L (1.88 US gal)

8.Loosely install the radiator cap.
    9.Start the engine, and let it run until it warms up (the radiator fan comes on at least twice).
    10.Turn off the engine. Check the level in the radiator and add Honda Long Life Antifreeze/Coolant Type 2 if needed.
    11.Put the radiator cap on tightly, then run the engine again, and check for leaks.
    12.Clean up any spilled engine coolant.

There you have it. However, if you mess something up, not my fault.
    Switchblade Key Crew #1

Quote Originally Posted by Cruatchi View Post
    There you have it. However, if you mess something up, not my fault.
    Such as failure to eliminate an air pocket in the block and head that causes enough of a localized over-heat condition leading to head gasket failure and warpage of the cylinder head.....

mook /muk/

Friedrich Nietzsche

Hi Cruatchi,

thank you so very much for your post, exactly what I had original asked for. It is nice to know, that some members here know to read and get to the point.

Again, thank you Cruatchi.

I will be careful not to mess it up!!

12. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements