Why not change Trans' fluid with vacuum pump through dip-stick hole?
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Why not change Trans' fluid with vacuum pump through dip-stick hole?

crv|oc Rank: Sophomore

Why not change Trans' fluid with vacuum pump through dip-stick hole?

Why not remove old fluid through the dip-stick hole with an oil pump into a graduated container, refill with the exact amount of new fluid, drive around enough to activate converter clutch, and repeat 3 times?

And, if this makes sense, when should the filter be changed?

And when should the plug be cleaned?

Thanks,

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

It's easier to just drain it. And when you refill, you should check the dipstick for the correct fill level anyway. Plus, when you drain it you get to check out the plug and wipe it off. And, you can get more of the fluid out by draining than by vacuuming. But, you can do what you like. No biggie.

Everything in Moderation Carbuff2's Avatar
    Aside from cleaning the shavings off the drain plug, there is no downside to using a fluid pump to remove old ATF fluid. I still don't think you will get a complete change however, as much of the ATF will remain in the torque converter.

I have heard of two stories where the plastic suction tubes have melted and broken off in engines or transmissions. Being that you want to drain the fluid warm, it's a chance you take...

Atwell "Buff" Haines
    '06 AWD CR-V, 5 speed MT!
    '07 Fit Sport, 5 speed MT!
    NJ

In theory, there is no difference between Theory and Practice. In practice, there is. - Yogi Berra

Thanks for the warning about plastic tubing and hot oil!

Quote Originally Posted by Carbuff2 View Post
    Aside from cleaning the shavings off the drain plug, there is no downside to using a fluid pump to remove old ATF fluid. I still don't think you will get a complete change however, as much of the ATF will remain in the torque converter.

I have heard of two stories where the plastic suction tubes have melted and broken off in engines or transmissions. Being that you want to drain the fluid warm, it's a chance you take...

If I do it I will use a copper tube to make sure nothing falls into the trans.

The reason I am thinking of doing this is I get conflicting stories from 4 Honda service centers!

Two Honda service centers tell me they have a machine that sucks out ALL the fluid for a complete replacement for $170 including tax. How can this be done with it not running?

Another says they do only drain and refill , once, for $90.

Yet another says he has a machine to suck it ALL out for $190!

All four recommend doing it every 50,000 miles. These are all within about 15 miles of each other.

If I could believe the claim of the machine getting it all out it might be worth it once, followed by more frequent drain/refills but how can it get it ALL out without activating the various hydraulic actuators, converter, and converter clutch?

The vehicle in question is an '07 with 38,000 miles.

All clarifications will be most appreciated.

Thanks,

crv|oc Rank: Member
    Some places have machines that flush by pumping fresh stuff in through the filler/dipstick and pumps it out the drain. I haven't needed to get it done on an 09 CR-V that's leased and won't see more that 36000 miles before I send it back, but I've had it done twice on my 04 Elantra, once at 30,000 miles and the other at 60,000. I was charged 14 quarts of fluid (8 to do the flush, then 6 for a fresh refill) plus $60 labor, for $130 or something.

Not sure how easily transferrable it is to a Gen 3, but have a look at the stuff in this thread:
    Gen 2 ATF and Filter Change
    It might give you an idea of what can be done, and what you want to be done. If you wanted a complete changeout, that guy has a pretty good idea. I would add that he could have done a little better by putting the car on jack stands or a lift and running thru the gears.

8. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements