ATF fluid drain and fill question - am I a boob? - Page 2
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home – General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

Thanks Thanks:  0
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ATF fluid drain and fill question - am I a boob?

crv|oc Rank: Member
    Thanks (Received)
    I decided to follow the Honda way of checking the ATF level yesterday after changing the oil a year ago.

It took a very long time for the fan to come on....I shut it off and waited for the precise time. The dipstick was dead on....which brought a smile to my face.

On all the other Hondas I've driven..... I would've driven the car for 10 miles on the highway and then checked it....but this model is quite specific on the methodology.
    Last edited by Sal Marciano; 05-19-2017 at 07:50 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

Thanks (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by chet96 View Post
    thanks folks. figured out the issue. went back to my receipts. I had a drain and fill done a few years back at the dealer. so I guess they botched it and underfilled it a bit. all straight now.
    So, how much more did you end up having to add?
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

2013 CRV EX (wife's)
    2014 Civic LX Sedan (mine)

Thanks (Received)
    a bit over 3.5 quarts. it didn't take much to raise it over the cold line (less than a 1/4 quart). so the advice to go slow was good.

Thanks folks!

5. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

Thanks (Received)
    I just did mine this morning at exactly 37,000 on the clock on my 2013. It was my first change and no code ever came. I have a 2wd and put exactly 3 quarts. Its a little above the full mark on the hot reading (I honestly never saw a cold reading spot). I drove it around for awhile and it's shifting a lot smoother than it was. When I drained the fluid it was dirty, so it looks like I'm going to start changing the fluid at 30K intervals. Dealer wanted $179.99 before tax, I bought 4 quarts and a crush washer for $47.88...I'll chock that up as a win!!
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

2013 CRV EX (wife's)

Thanks (Received)
    Interesting to see different amt. of fluid added by different owners. Are some sitting level on a Hoist, or level on 4-jack stands or front wheels on a pr. of Ramps? Just did my 2013V recently. Measured amt. drained carefully. Put 2Qts. & 22Oz. back in. Fluid level now is right at the top hole on dip-stick when checked level after I minute off. My ramps are 6&3/4" high. Just enough height to work easily and use my torque wrench @ 36ft/lbs. This is a great site of owners helping owners. Ken.

Thanks (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by FloridaCRV View Post
    Interesting to see different amt. of fluid added by different owners. Are some sitting level on a Hoist, or level on 4-jack stands or front wheels on a pr. of Ramps? Just did my 2013V recently. Measured amt. drained carefully. Put 2Qts. & 22Oz. back in. Fluid level now is right at the top hole on dip-stick when checked level after I minute off. My ramps are 6&3/4" high. Just enough height to work easily and use my torque wrench @ 36ft/lbs. This is a great site of owners helping owners. Ken.
    Yea, I think it's kind of odd that the owners manual calls for 2.3 quarts on a 2wd. That wasn't the case for my 2wd. Here's how I did it. Jacked it up and placed the front end on stands, broke free the drain plug, let it drain until it wasn't even dripping anymore. Cleaned up the area around the plug, put new crush washer on said plug, and torqued to 36 ft lbs. Lowered the vehicle, so all four wheels were on the ground (did it in my garage on a completely level surface, and began to fill. I had almost the entire 3rd quart in the sump and it was still at the low mark. I put the rest of the 3rd quart in and now it's a bit above the full mark. Been driving it around in the South Texas heat and it's been performing beautifully. I have noticed that it's shifting a bit smoother than before, but the old fluid did have 37,700 miles on it.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

2013 CRV EX (wife's)

crv|oc Rank: Junior
    Thanks (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by FloridaCRV View Post
    Mine is drained, filled and checked with all 4 wheels on level ground. I only jack up the LF tire to torque the drain bolt. And I have put back in roughly the same amount every time. Although i haven't measured it for exactness to know precisely what I have drained and put back in. I just know it reads full on the dipstick when done.

My CR-V, I don't change it any mileage interval. I just do it every summer along with the rear diff. I figure it is cheap easy maintenance. My other two vehicles I do at 30K mile intervals. The one is all kinds of fun being I have to have a special dipstick, measure the temperature of the fluid thru the OBD port and then cross reference it all on a chart to figure out how much to add.
    Last edited by DIY Guy; 05-27-2017 at 08:08 AM.

Thanks (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by DIY Guy View Post
    The one is all kinds of fun being I have to have a special dipstick, measure the temperature of the fluid thru the OBD port and then cross reference it all on a chart to figure out how much to add.
    Holy cow! What kind of vehicle is that?
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

2013 CRV EX (wife's)

crv|oc Rank: Junior
    Thanks (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coastie05 View Post
    Holy cow! What kind of vehicle is that?
    Dodge Charger, POS. I will be doing a fluid and filter change on it sometime this summer.

crv|oc Rank: Freshman
    Thanks (Received)
    I always check the level before draining, then pour the drained fluid into an empty 5 quart oil jug. It's easy to see exactly how much was drained, and how much to add back.

A related question: Is there a crush washer on the transmission drain plug? And is it by chance the same size as the engine drain?

Thanks

2012 Basque Red Pearl CR-V

13. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast