How does Cruise control work?
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home – General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

Thanks Thanks:  0
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How does Cruise control work?

crv|oc Rank: Member
    Thanks (Received)

How does Cruise control work?

I live in a small town with no long roads, but I tried to test the cruise control for the first time. Car has been fully checked, nothing wrong with anything so must be me.

2011 EX sat nav version... 2.2 diesel

Anyway, I push the cruise control button on steering which lights up cruise control on dashboard.

Then I get to a speed such as 50mph and press set, nothing happens. I tried this on various occasions.

The cruise main light does not come on. Is there a min speed or I read I have to let go of accelerator and clutch, what am I doing wrong?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Freshman
    Thanks (Received)
    Sounds like you're doing it right. Here is the psge from your manual
    If you can't get it to work you might want to take it to the dealer....may be just a worn out 'set' switch.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks (Received)
    Thanks for that info.

So I went today...took it to 50mph and pressed it...it came on ....seems it works but it doesnt just come on at the touch of the set button as I thought. the car is hardly used.... its like it wont just come on like a light switch as I thought, I have to press it a few times at a steady speed.

is this normal or should it just come on soon as you press it over 25mph?

I have warrenty so would like to know b4 I look silly!

how does everyone elses work...is it

press it...and it comes on ..period.........or stable speed...or what?

thx in advance

5. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

Thanks (Received)
    It comes on as soon as you press the button (hold it for a second or so), assuming the button is working ( yours may be intermittent ). You don't have to be at a stable speed. If you happen to be accelerating when you press the button, it will select the speed at the moment the button is pressed (well approx). If you take your foot off the accelerator the speed will drop to the selected speed. You can also use the accelerator to pass another car and when you release the accelerator the speed will return to the selected speed. Cruise will remain active until you brake, hit cancel or turn off by the main button.
    Last edited by Traylaw; 04-28-2017 at 10:54 PM.

Thanks (Received)
    Right...now thats not happening...I knew it was odd.
    basically...I always test over 40mph, cruise main button ON....press set...nothing happens unless I press it about 10 times.
    Its like it comes on when it wants, when it does come on, the actual cruise control works perfect and the up and down segments using buttons.

It seems to have issues coming on in the first place when the CRUISE CONTROL light comes on dash, cruise main light is fine.

Must be the button or something deeper in the car.....I will tell the dealer as got warrenty.... does anything else affect this such as no seat belt or anything..

thx

Thanks (Received)
    About the only other thing would be a switch on the break peddle that turn off cruise control when you step on the breaks. But since your problem is reproducable the dealer will have no problem finding the cause....when they do please update this thread with the results for others.

Thanks (Received)
    firstly... appreciate your help

Today...Id had enough, so went on a full blown test.

No it doesnt work properly but I really think its not the steering switch...its something else..It didnt come on at all today....

Now its bank holiday in england 01.05.17 ....so on Tuesday I shall tell the dealer.

No issue as Im not paying but...must be something else...

i have had the cluth master cylinder replaced,,,is that of any relevance....I dont know!
    will keep u posted 100%

Thanks (Received)
    Yes it can, the cruise control will turn off if the fluid level switch in the master cylinder reservoir drops out. But I would think you would see the brake indicator on the console go off. But to be sure check the level of brake fluid is well above min. level.
    I had this problem long ago when the fluid level was a little above min, but with the vehicle going up and down hills, it would drop out switch momentarily. Also the vacuum line can cause a problem on vehicles that use a vacuum servo actuator to operate the throttle. But I don't know if your model uses an electric throttle control or the older peddle / cable mechanical throttle. The older throttle control use a vacuum servo for cruise control
    Last edited by Traylaw; 04-30-2017 at 08:58 PM.

Thanks (Received)
    I dont knw the hard details of my car tbh but the brake fluid is max as just had pads changed all round, had rear diff flush and fill done too...Im going to take it in soon as they got space to look at it.

Its a Uk 2011 CRV 2.2 diesel EX

Apparently they dont have ex-l here, just ex...but its got leathers satnav..everything.

Thanks (Received)
    I think something with the switch is loose or dirty.

13. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread