strut leaking
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: strut leaking

crv|oc Rank: Member

strut leaking

Just came back from the dealer. They told me that my left front strut is leaking. Is that possible for a LX CR-V that is 7 years old with 46000 miles? It's only been driven on the freeway and city streets, no off-roading.

I'm suspicious of their finding. Its like my wife going to a fast lube place and being told everytime that she needs a power steering flush. She had it flushed and the very next time she went back, they told her the very same thing; needs a flush.

Am I being paranoid?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by retired17 View Post
    Just came back from the dealer. They told me that my left front strut is leaking. Is that possible for a LX CR-V that is 7 years old with 46000 miles? It's only been driven on the freeway and city streets, no off-roading.

I'm suspicious of their finding. Its like my wife going to a fast lube place and being told everytime that she needs a power steering flush. She had it flushed and the very next time she went back, they told her the very same thing; needs a flush.

Am I being paranoid?
    You can easily check that for yourself. a leaky strut will have oil showing. get a flashlight and lift the rubber bumper a bit see what you can find. maybe post a pic here for others to evaluate.

The easiest way to check is to jack the car up and look at the struts.
    Perhaps next time you can ask them to show it to you.

If it is leaking, you will see this brown looking oil on the side of the struts (looks like rust, but not rust.).

It is all depends on the driving and the road condition.
    The road on the North East is so bad that I might as well be driving off road.

Power steering fluid flush? The way I do it is just suck out the old fluid , replace it with the new one, drive around, and do repeat the steps a few times.

You might want to change to another fast lube place

crv|oc Rank: Freshman
    I just had my '02 in for an oil change and was told front strut(s) leaking. It doesn't look like a bad job to do yourself if you buy the whole unit (spring and strut together).

My question is - how long can I drive on this?
    2010 CR-V EX-L Navi 4wd - Taffeta White - 35% front window tint - All season mats - Cargo tray - OEM foglights - Front splash guards - Engine cover upgrade
    2002 CR-V EX 4wd - Satin Silver Metallic - 20% front window tint - Cargo tray - OEM foglights - Front splash guards
    2007 Acura MDX Tech/Ent. - Nimbus Gray - 20% front window tint - All season mats - Cargo tray

"My question is - how long can I drive on this? "

Not sure. If there is a leak, I would replace it.
    If I remember correctly, the replacement is like a $600 job for both the strut and spring. (Dealer would charge around $800-$1000, both wheels).

I'm usually a DIY guy, but it's probably easier have someone else do this (it's beyond my capabilities any way)
    First of all the spring needs to be compressed with a special tool, then remove the lower ball joint...
    After everything is done, got to get the wheel aligned.

Quote Originally Posted by nieuport17 View Post
    "My question is - how long can I drive on this? "

Not sure. If there is a leak, I would replace it.
    If I remember correctly, the replacement is like a $600 job for both the strut and spring. (Dealer would charge around $800-$1000, both wheels).

I'm usually a DIY guy, but it's probably easier have someone else do this (it's beyond my capabilities any way)
    First of all the spring needs to be compressed with a special tool, then remove the lower ball joint...
    After everything is done, got to get the wheel aligned.
    Did a strut replacement myself, not too difficult, I'd say if you replace your own break pads you can probably do that as well. you will need specialized tool though a joint separator and a spring compressor

I used an electric impact wrench for the spring compressor and I highly recommend that since there is a lot of wrenching to go through. other than that its just a matter of jacking up the car and removing a few bolts (some bolts will also be a lot easier to remove if using an impact wrench)

Quote Originally Posted by nieuport17 View Post
    The easiest way to check is to jack the car up and look at the struts.
    Perhaps next time you can ask them to show it to you.

If it is leaking, you will see this brown looking oil on the side of the struts (looks like rust, but not rust.).
    I jacked up the car until the strut bellow cleared the lower spring seat and I saw no sign of any oil on the outside of the strut. Even did the white glove test. I am no longer trusting this dealership.

Could I still have leakage? It may be so small that the oil hasn't flowed down the outside of the strut.

Quote Originally Posted by retired17 View Post
    I jacked up the car until the strut bellow cleared the lower spring seat and I saw no sign of any oil on the outside of the strut. Even did the white glove test. I am no longer trusting this dealership.

Could I still have leakage? It may be so small that the oil hasn't flowed down the outside of the strut.
    no oil usually means no leak. another test which is not easy to perform is to push down on the car on both sides, if your strut is bad you will see more bouncing "recoil", but since the CRV's suspension is hard it will not be easy to detect. I had a completely shot strut but there was barley any difference in the bounce test. If you're really stressed about this do your next oil change at the dealer and ask them to check.

Well, retired17, if there is no oil on strut and passes the "push down" test, I do wonder what the dealer saw.
    Probably try another dealer next time, and have them show it to you (if they say the same thing).

I like to know too

Also consider where you are located. if your in a big city like ny where your basically driving off road because of last snow storm.

Also check for any noise if you go over a pothole. sometimes you feel and hear the struts on bumps with slight extra bounce then you normally experience.

12. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements