Tire Rotation
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home – General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tire Rotation

crv|oc Rank: Sophomore

Tire Rotation

Hi All,
    I took my 2010 CRV in to Honda to get the tires rotated at 11,000 miles, front to back for the first time. The service manager came out to the waiting room and told me that the mechanic didn't recommend that I rotate the tires because there was cupping on the rear tires. He said if he rotated the tires, I would probably have a noisy ride when I got up to 50 mph's. The service manager said that although this was a probability, if I didn't rotate the tires they wouldn't last as long, but it was up to me. I looked at one of the rear tires and saw what looked like less than a sixteenth of an inch of flat areas in layers along the bottom of the tire. I didn't think it was enough to make noise if moved to the front so I told him to go ahead and rotate the tires. Afterwards I didn't have any noisy ride. They also remarked that I should rotate the tires every 7,500 miles, or when I get an oil change.
    I keep the tires at 32 pounds pressure and don't do any hard stops or take off fast, so I can't figure why the rear tires had any abnormal wear, although minor. Does anyone have any ideas? How many miles do you think I should go between rotation? The car came with Continentals.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Member
    I just rotated my tires from front to back @ 17,000 (first rotation) myself.
    During a long road trip, I did not hear any funny noises.
    I did notice a bit more wear in the middle of the front tires, but this is probably because I had 36 psi in each tire.... i ended up releasing some pressure.

I would stick with MM to rotate tires because it knows your driving style.

Perhaps you can take a picture of your odd wear tire and post it so we can comment on it
    Last edited by nieuport17; 06-02-2011 at 10:28 PM.

10000 sounds fine to me. in another thread i think we already established that this service department is worthless, or worse.

Quote Originally Posted by nieuport17 View Post
    I just rotated my tires from front to back @ 17,000 (first rotation) myself.
    During a long road trip, I did not hear any funny noises.
    I did notice a bit more wear in the middle of the front tires, but this is probably because I had 36 psi in each tire.... i ended up releasing some pressure.

I would stick with MM to rotate tires because it knows your driving style.

Perhaps you can take a picture of your odd wear tire and post it so we can comment on it
    The wear is hard to see in person, so it wouldn't show up in a picture. I think the mechanic was just looking for browny points.

crv|oc Rank: Senior
    Most tire manufacturers recommend doing a tire rotation every 6-8,000 miles depending on the tire. If you do a lot of city driving I would say go on the low end, if it's more highway miles you are probably safe to go a bit more.

For ease of remembering when to do this, I do mine every 5,000 on the nose and with NASCAR style jacks it only takes 20 minutes to do this per vehicle. That said: I trusted the MM to do the tire rotation on the first set of OEM tires - they lasted around 24K. My next set of Cooper CS4 have close to 70K and still have between 3-4/32nds depending on the tire and are wearing nicely. I should get close to 80K before replacement or winter whichever gets here faster.

Everything in Moderation Carbuff2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Badgerland View Post
    If you do a lot of city driving I would say go on the low end, if it's more highway miles you are probably safe to go a bit more.
    My experience is, that higher speed highway miles cause the feathering MORE. Perhaps because of rear-wheel drag? Just guessing.

Low speed suburban driving subjects the tire treads to more side-loads and braking, which reduces the tendency to feather.

++++++++++++

I will say, that if you let the tires go too long before rotating, they WILL be noisy. I rotated tires on 3 friend's cars that had gone over 25K miles and they really did make a ruckus. (We rotated front-to-back, and crossed the backs when moving them to the front.) We ended up switching the fronts side-to-side to quiet them down a bit.

JM2C
    Atwell "Buff" Haines
    '06 AWD CR-V, 5 speed MT!
    '07 Fit Sport, 5 speed MT!
    NJ

It's OK if you disagree with me.
    I can't force you to be right.

Quote Originally Posted by Carbuff2 View Post
    My experience is, that higher speed highway miles cause the feathering MORE. Perhaps because of rear-wheel drag? Just guessing.

Low speed suburban driving subjects the tire treads to more side-loads and braking, which reduces the tendency to feather.

++++++++++++

JM2C
    Feathering as you put it is more like what I was trying to say in my original post. I do mostly highway driving so I think your observation is right. I think I will rotate a little more frequently in the future. Thanks for your input.

At 14K miles, I had my second tire rotation done per the MM. I would not recommend going 10K miles between rotation and think that around 7.5K miles is about the max. This will help your tires wear more evenly and make them last a bit longer. I have continentals which are ok, hoping to get 35-40K out of them.

Hello,

I have an 11 CRV with bridgestone dueler h/t's. What is the proper way of rotating the tires?

Nick

crv|oc Rank: Senior
    Quote Originally Posted by INDRUCUL View Post
    Hello,

I have an 11 CRV with bridgestone dueler h/t's. What is the proper way of rotating the tires?

Nick
    Fronts roll straight back to the rear, rears criss cross to opposite front.

12. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements