Brake fluid change
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brake fluid change

crv|oc Rank: Member

Brake fluid change

We're having a new set of tires put on this week (Continental Contact OEM tires are at 2/32" tread wear at 38K miles -- it's time). The service manual indicates that the brake fluid should be changed every 3 years, and it's been 3.5 years since we purchased our '08 CR-V, so I'm thinking I should ask the independent mechanic who's mounting/balancing the new tires to change the brake fluid as well.

I don't think I can expect they'll have Honda Heavy Duty DOT3 brake fluid on-hand (though I will ask), so there's a possibility I'll have to order it from H&A and take the car back another day for the brake fluid change. Any idea how much fluid would be required?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

Valvoline Syntech DOT4 is a better solution and availiable locally (at least in my area).

Well, the owner's manual is pretty clear about using Honda Heavy Duty DOT3 brake fluid, so I'm not really looking for an alternative product suggestion...

The mechanic I spoke with on the phone told me he doesn't ever change brake fluid in his own cars and doesn't recommend it to his customers either. (He implied that I got that idea in my head from a dealership service department, which of course I didn't.)

Anyone got input on whether changing your brake fluid is necessary? I get that there's often a gulf between what the dealership tries to sell and what the manufacturer actually recommends, but had been going on the assumption that the Maintenance Minder/owner's manual were not going to suggest unnecessary maintenance...

A brand name DOT3 will be fine and you should follow Honda's maintenance schedule. You can change it yourself - not very hard. If you do, don't let the brake fluid reservoir get low and let air in the system - very bad with anti-lock brakes.

Quote Originally Posted by kmkoch View Post
    The mechanic I spoke with on the phone told me he doesn't ever change brake fluid in his own cars and doesn't recommend it to his customers either. (He implied that I got that idea in my head from a dealership service department, which of course I didn't.)

Anyone got input on whether changing your brake fluid is necessary? I get that there's often a gulf between what the dealership tries to sell and what the manufacturer actually recommends, but had been going on the assumption that the Maintenance Minder/owner's manual were not going to suggest unnecessary maintenance...

Everything in Moderation Carbuff2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kmkoch View Post
    The mechanic I spoke with on the phone told me he doesn't ever change brake fluid in his own cars and doesn't recommend it to his customers either.

I think he is wrong (from problems on this and other auto-brand Forums)

Especially with ABS systems, sludge and moisture from old fluid can cause corrosion problems. DO IT.
    Atwell "Buff" Haines
    '06 AWD CR-V, 5 speed MT!
    '07 Fit Sport, 5 speed MT!
    NJ

In theory, there is no difference between Theory and Practice. In practice, there is. - Yogi Berra

I heard that you should change the brake fluid every 3 years regardless of mileage because it picks up moisture etc. I read this in my old (now my family's) '04 Accord manual. On forums for my '08 IS 350 I believe I've read 2 year interval for the brake fluid change. I was assuming the same for my dad's '07 CR-V (and my wife's '07 Accord EX i4 which I also maintain).

how many bottles of the brake fluid should you flush through? 1 bottle, 2 bottles? You're supposed to visually see when the color changes but I remember when I changed my IS 350's brake fluid, I couldn't tell. I just kept going through all my brake fluid bottles until I felt like I had finished flushing them through each of the axles equally.

crv|oc Rank: Sophomore
    Just did a brake fluid replacement this past June. Rotation should be LF, RF, RR, LR.

New fluid definitely is different color than old fluid. When bleeding, use clear 3/8" vinyl tube from nipple to collector to see when new fluid is entering caliper.

Always place flat object on floorboard between brake pedal & floor. When pumping brake pedal, don't want pedal to go all the way to the floor as you might damage seals inside master cylinder. Flat object keeps even pressure throughout bleeding procedure & prevents air from entering system.

Just to be sure to refill master cylinder with new fluid every time when moving from wheel to wheel. Buy 2 quart bottles of DOT 3 before beginning. Better to have some left over than to have to run back to get another bottle.

Everything in Moderation Carbuff2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazoo2U View Post
    Buy 2 quart bottles of DOT 3 before beginning. Better to have some left over than to have to run back to get another bottle.
    Wow. Two QUARTS?

I typically use two 12-oz bottles of Genuine Honda brake fluid when I replace mine.

And remember, Once unsealed, even unused brake fluid will absorb moisture. My rule of thumb is, if the bottle is more than 6 months old, I buy new stuff.
    Atwell "Buff" Haines
    '06 AWD CR-V, 5 speed MT!
    '07 Fit Sport, 5 speed MT!
    NJ

In theory, there is no difference between Theory and Practice. In practice, there is. - Yogi Berra

Just did a brake fluid replacement this past June. Rotation should be LF, RF, RR, LR.
    Thanks - I was wondering what the order was. (In my IS 350, it's RR, LR, RF, LF).

Two other good takeaways:

Always place flat object on floorboard between brake pedal & floor. When pumping brake pedal, don't want pedal to go all the way to the floor as you might damage seals inside master cylinder. Flat object keeps even pressure throughout bleeding procedure & prevents air from entering system...
    Quote Originally Posted by Carbuff2 View Post
    And remember, Once unsealed, even unused brake fluid will absorb moisture. My rule of thumb is, if the bottle is more than 6 months old, I buy new stuff.

12. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements