Honda ow-20 Fully Synthetic or not?
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Honda ow-20 Fully Synthetic or not?

crv|oc Rank: Freshman

Honda ow-20 Fully Synthetic or not?

Hello,

Does anyone know if the Honda brand ow-20 oil is fully synthetic or is it a blend?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Sophomore
    Any 0W20 oil is synthetic.

Thanks for the reply!

crv|oc Rank: Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by twl845 View Post
    Any 0W20 oil is synthetic.
    I thought so too but if you look down the H and A page a bit,they sell a Honda 0w20 blend in a black bottle and a 0w20 conventional oil..
    Bernardi has the full synthetic 0w20 Honda oil in the silver bottle ($6.94 qt) but don't see it at H and A.

http://www.handa-accessories.com/crvmaint07.html
    Last edited by rocks; 07-20-2011 at 07:04 PM.
    '13 CR-V EX-L w/NAV AWD White Diamond Pearl/Black
    OEM All Season Floor Mats & Cargo Tray | OEM Vent Visors | Splash Guards | Engine Cover | LEDs
    '13 Lexus GS350 AWD Starfire Pearl White/Black Luxury Pkg | NAV

Quote Originally Posted by rocks View Post
    I thought so too but if you look down the H and A page a bit,they sell a Honda 0w20 blend in a black bottle and a 0w20 conventional oil..
    Bernardi has the full synthetic 0w20 Honda oil in the silver bottle ($6.94 qt) but don't see it at H and A.

http://www.handa-accessories.com/crvmaint07.html
    Ya I noticed this as well on Handa, this is why I am asking.... Guess I will just have to go to the dealership and see what the bottle says or get aftermarket 0w-20 like Mobil 1...

Quote Originally Posted by Bretth13 View Post
    Ya I noticed this as well on Handa, this is why I am asking.... Guess I will just have to go to the dealership and see what the bottle says or get aftermarket 0w-20 like Mobil 1...
    Sorry for the miss-direct. We had a oil discussion on this forum last Summer when I bought my CRV, and Lizurd who is a member of this forum, and works for Honda seemed to imply that 0W20 only came in synthetic.
    I change my own oil, using Mobil1 synthetic 0W20.
    Last edited by twl845; 07-20-2011 at 07:26 PM.

crv|oc Rank: Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by Bretth13 View Post
    HandA has the 0w20 blend and conventional on sale maybe to get rid of it.
    Bernardi only sells the 0w20 full synthetic.

Here's Honda 0w20 synthetic at Bernardi.
    http://www.bernardiparts.com/Honda-M...8798-9XXX.aspx

Honda 0w20 synthetic has over 800 ppm of moly additive.
    Mobil 1 under 200 ppm.
    Toyota and Honda engineers like a lot of moly additive in their 0w20.
    I'd go Honda 0w20 synthetic over Mobil 1.No big deal but I like having the extra moly.
    I use Toyota 0w20 synthetic which has 800 ppm moly in all my vehicles because I got as great deal on a few cases but would use Honda 0w20 synthetic.
    Last edited by rocks; 07-20-2011 at 07:40 PM.
    '13 CR-V EX-L w/NAV AWD White Diamond Pearl/Black
    OEM All Season Floor Mats & Cargo Tray | OEM Vent Visors | Splash Guards | Engine Cover | LEDs
    '13 Lexus GS350 AWD Starfire Pearl White/Black Luxury Pkg | NAV

Thanks all for the replies

Brett, if you're still reading this thread, permit me to expand a bit on the answers you were given WRT Honda's 0W-20 weight oils. Among other things, you were advised:

[. . . Honda 0w20 synthetic has over 800 ppm of moly additive. . . . Mobil 1 under 200 ppm. Toyota and Honda engineers like a lot of moly additive in their 0w20. I'd go Honda 0w20 synthetic over Mobil 1. No big deal but I like having the extra moly. . . .]

Actually, Honda has three 0W-20s that the company is now selling as "Genuine Honda Motor Oil."

Two of the 0W-20s that Honda sells as Genuine Honda are bottled by ConocoPhillips (COP). One is a semi-synthetic, the other a full synthetic. Essentially they are the same as the two products that COP bottles for Ford under the Motorcraft label.

The other 0W-20 weight sold by Honda is manufactured by Idemitsu. That one, and only that one, has (as mentioned above) approximately 800 ppm of molybdenium. Honda imported it principally for use in its Insight hybrid, but it can be used in any automobile that specifies a 0W-20 weight oil. Connoisseurs of motor oil love it for its whopping dose of molybdenium which, arguably, is important (if not crucial) for proper lubrication in an engine that is subject to frequent starts and stops (i.e., a hybrid, in other words) and/or frequent cold- and semi-cold starts (again, a hybrid). Whether it offers any special or unique long-term anti-wear benefits when used in a conventional motor has been, and remains, the subject of considerable debate. The stuff is also expensive in comparison to other 0W-20s.

Comparing apples to apples -- i.e., comparing Honda's (COP) full synthetic to Mobil 1's 0W-20 -- the Mobil 1 product has a slightly greater viscosity range and its cSt at 100 degrees C is slightly higher. It also has a robust additive package. (Neither point is a matter of conjecture. You can compare the oil analyses of the two products on bobsistheoilguy.com.)

Thus, you actually have four choices, one of Honda's three 0W-20s or M1's 0W-20. You can't go wrong with any of them, and for what it's worth, in my humble opinion, it doesn't matter which one you choose. All have been tested extensively (the M1 oil for over a decade) and all produce virtually identical UOAs (used oil analyses). (Again, bobistheoilguy.com is your friend.)
    Last edited by Ratchet; 07-21-2011 at 05:57 AM. Reason: Typo

Thanks for all the help.

12. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements