Rear differential fluid change
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Rear differential fluid change

crv|oc Rank: Freshman

Rear differential fluid change

How many miles were on your CR-V when you got the "rear differential" code?

I just got the B16 code. (about 13k on the odometer)

I'd just like to see where I am.

If you did service it, did you let the dealership do it or a trusted Honda shop?
    2010 CR-V EX-L Navi 4wd - Taffeta White - 35% front window tint - All season mats - Cargo tray - OEM foglights - Front splash guards - Engine cover upgrade
    2002 CR-V EX 4wd - Satin Silver Metallic - 20% front window tint - Cargo tray - OEM foglights - Front splash guards
    2007 Acura MDX Tech/Ent. - Nimbus Gray - 20% front window tint - All season mats - Cargo tray

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

crv|oc Rank: Member
    I have always changed the rear diff fluid myself - pretty easy job - get the fluid and crush washers from Honda - get 2 quarts, you need a bit over 1 quart. I always did it once a year - around 12k miles - every other oil change.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeezone25 View Post
    How many miles were on your CR-V when you got the "rear differential" code?

I just got the B16 code. (about 13k on the odometer)

I'd just like to see where I am.

If you did service it, did you let the dealership do it or a trusted Honda shop?

crv|oc Rank: Sophomore
    13K is within the range. I'd say the average is 15K. The MM won't do every 15K but the next one will be somewhat later. However, I do mine about every 15K just like tuccillo.

I let the dealer do mine. I'm too lazy to rig up a hose, etc.

I think I got that code when my V was @ 17k miles. I also did the change myself. With some visual aid posted by Black Pearl's photo essay and reference to the service manual, it was pretty easy to do. Parts I bought from H & A Accessories.

I was at 15,000 miles, seems it must be the 2nd MM service that is needed. I had it done at dealer for $79.99.
    2010 EXL 4WD
    2008 Suzuki SX4 sport

Thanks for the responses.

I have a great Honda/Acura local service shop that is going to do the B16 service.

Around $50 for the rear differential and we'll see how much the "synthetic" oil change will run me. First time I've had this one in there.
    2010 CR-V EX-L Navi 4wd - Taffeta White - 35% front window tint - All season mats - Cargo tray - OEM foglights - Front splash guards - Engine cover upgrade
    2002 CR-V EX 4wd - Satin Silver Metallic - 20% front window tint - Cargo tray - OEM foglights - Front splash guards
    2007 Acura MDX Tech/Ent. - Nimbus Gray - 20% front window tint - All season mats - Cargo tray

Stupid question on my wifes 08. I can see the drain plug on the left side but not the fill hole. I wasn't completely under the vehicle and haven't put it on the ramps yet. Is it prety far towards the top.

Did the oil and trans fluid and was running out of time for today.

Thanks,

Marty

There are good photos in the sticky thread at the top of this very forum.

Black Pearl's 2007 Rear Differential Fluid Change Photo Essay

I got the B16 code at 16,900 on my 2012 CRV AWD. My Honda dealer recommends a flush of differential with first fluid change resulting in cost of $140. The Owners Manual just says change the fluid. A source I have indicates the 2012 CRV Service Manual only calls for fluid change with no mention of flood. A call to Honda Customer Support confirms that only need to make the fluid change per Owners Manual MM section. Anyone experienced a Honda dealer recommending a flush of the rear differential with first fluid change?

I've never heard of "flushing" the rear diff. There is a fill hole and drain hole. Would flushing include forcing in new fluid under pressure? Doesn't make sense to me.

A drain & fill with Dual Pump II fluid is all you need.

12. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements