Which new battery for a CR-V?
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home General discussion forum for Honda CR-V

Welcome to Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home - a website dedicated to all things Honda CR-V.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda CR-V Owners Club - Home today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which new battery for a CR-V?

crv|oc Rank: Member

Which new battery for a CR-V?

Size 51 batteries don't have alot of choices.

Consumer Reports magazine doesn't even rate this size.

Any clear winner for my 2007 CR-V?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements

The owner's manual for my 2007 CR-V has no information on battery specs or even what type of battery you should replace the OEM battery with. It was only after some on-line research that I figured out that you need a size 51R battery with a minimum CCA of 410 amps, which is what the OEM battery has.

I researched 51R batteries and found that this is an odd size. You don't have alot to choose from. Hence I think these batteries might tend to be a bit more pricey than the more common sizes.

Consumer Reports magazine doesn't rate this size, and you're in a hit-or-miss situation trying to guess which battery is best.

I wanted a battery with the highest CCA available, with the longest reserve capacity too. The 51-R battery is actually a little wimpy and doesn't have as robust specs as other auto battery sizes. I was surprised at how small it was.

"Interstate" batteries were great in some sizes and mediocre in other sizes according to Consumer Reports.

Ditto for the other possibilities. I couldn't get any ratings info on "Prostart" and the "Bosch" version only had a CCA of 450 amps.

I couldn't find any specs on the relatively inexpensive 51R "Everstart" from Wal-Mart.

"Duralast Gold" seemed to be near the top of their ratings for other sizes in the Consumer Reports ratings so I decided to go with the "Duralast Gold", with a 500 CCA rating. They go on sale from time-to-time I think and you might save $10, but I paid retail at $106.99 + sales tax from Autozone. They kept the old battery and I avoided the $12 'core' charge. It came charged up and the guy put it in. The whole transaction took maybe 15 minutes. You then simply enter your radio code and you're good to go.

crv|oc Rank: Sophomore

When mine dies it's an Energizer from Sam's Club.

Quote Originally Posted by CRVINMICH View Post

They are not listed on line and only some stores carry any battery.

They fit, have more CCA than OEM, and last time I checked they were about $55 installed, 8-year warranty, 3-year full replacement and 5 years prorated. They are made by Johnson Controls, one of the best.

I put one in a 2000 model and it was still going strong when I traded it in 6 years later.

I put the duralast gold in my civic last year. It's very good especially the CCA amp is better than the oem so I love it. I think the CRV also uses the same size also. Autozone carries that battery.

Quote Originally Posted by CRVINMICH View Post

I got one at Costco, good price and seems fine.

crv|oc Rank: Junior
    Sears I think it was 65 bucks, I live in Buffalo, the car is parked outside, and I have never had a problem in 2.5 years.

My local Walmart as an Everstart 51R battery in stock. Everstart's get good reviews from Consumer Reports and I have one in my Silverado.

crv|oc Rank: Junior
    Any comment on a pricey OPTIMA battery with a 575 cranking amps....

Anybody--------------

Another great product from Johnson Controls!

Quote Originally Posted by ROMAN View Post
    Any comment on a pricey OPTIMA battery with a 575 cranking amps....

Anybody--------------
    But, $169 at Autozone! A local Sam's Club has them for something less but not much. And they don't carry the size to fit a CR-V.

I like the Johnson Controls Energizer from Sam's Club in the US and Walmart in Canada, 3-year full replacement like the Optima, plus another 5 years prorated, installed, for about $55.

And 575 Cranking Amps is less important than the CCA, Cold Cranking Amps. Size 51 Optima CCA is 450. For the Energizer it is 500.

Duralast gold has 500 cold cranking amp and 625 cranking amp.

I think it's the matter of the specification. You can select the one that has better CCA and CA but don't buy OPTIMA. It's too pricey.

12. Remove Advertisements
    CR-V Owners Club
    Advertisements